We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Encyclopedia of card tricks by Jean Hugard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this book I think it is a good book but has poor drawings.If your good at reading comprehension than this is the book for you if not it's not worth your time.
rocky424
View Profile
New user
Boca Raton, FL
54 Posts

Profile of rocky424
Yes, it can be a very valuable book. As with nearly all card and coin books wriiten in the 1930s-1940s, you will have to rely mainly on your reading comprehension and limited drawings. Although some early books do have detailed drawings, they can be hard to come by. But, these kinds of books hold the most basic and fundamental information that every working magician should read through at least once. With many beginning magicians, it is vital for them to read through these old books. But, unfortunatly, many do not because of the 'boredom' and 'incomprehension' involved with the small print and limited drawings.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re: "But, unfortunatly, many do not because of the 'boredom' and 'incomprehension' involved with the small print and limited drawings. "

Yep, its a wonder civilization advanced at all if our ancestors had the same attitudes.

I don't remember ANY drawings in the book, but it is a great book every card guy should have on the shelf, and great value.

I hear for those who prefer not to read, highlights of it have been filmed for a DVD set to appear at a later stage, but of course, someone else's pick may not have matched our own pick of the material. Time will tell.

Paul.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
You are right it is a very good book to have.I mainly use it as a reference guide.I think his other book "Card technique" is a better book for those card magicians who like to do slieght-of-hand.:^)
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
There is a web site that links to an Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, and gives Hugard's name, it has *many* tricks online. Are these the same as what is in the book?

http://thadoomlord.home.att.net/card
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
rocky424
View Profile
New user
Boca Raton, FL
54 Posts

Profile of rocky424
Yes, those are the general categories that the book contains. Click on each category, and you will see the full contents listing along with a description of the effect.

EDIT- I also just noticed that the actual entire book is online. The methods are revealed as well. Should this be allowed?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Not my kind of book but I still got many ideas from it when I was young!

So I rate it VERY GOOD!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
There are enough effects in this classic work to keep you going for the rest of your performing life.......an absolutly wonderful book!.

Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-07-29 19:44, rocky424 wrote:
Yes, those are the general categories that the book contains. Click on each category, and you will see the full contents listing along with a description of the effect.

EDIT- I also just noticed that the actual entire book is online. The methods are revealed as well. Should this be allowed?

The book is in the public domain. That means that there is nothing illegal about putting it on line. There is no way to prohibit this. After all, the whole text of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica will be on line soon as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
Quote:
On 2006-07-29 18:29, John Long wrote:
There is a web site that links to an Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, and gives Hugard's name, it has *many* tricks online. Are these the same as what is in the book?

http://thadoomlord.home.att.net/card

This is also found on The Learned Pig Project. Like many other very old books

http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/

BTW. one question:

Why books like The New Era Card Tricks - by: August Rotenberg isn´t free. It´s written on 1897. Is it becouse of reprint? Somebody got rights?

Thanks Smile
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Roterberg is available on line if you look around.
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
This along with other Dover reprints were some of my first purchases of books in the mid-eighties when I was very young and didn't have the money to buy the more expensive ones. These books gave me SO much in the way of instruction and teaching for very little money and even today have GREAT VALUE even though most have tripled in price. This book is often credited as being written by Jean Hugard, however the book states that he was only the editor of the book, not its writer. So, I ask, does anyone know who actually wrote the book or was each effect written up by its inventor and compiled and edited by Hugard? I have searched the web for the answer, but to no avail.

Best,

Adam
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 15:08, Adam Wood wrote:
This along with other Dover reprints were some of my first purchases of books in the mid-eighties when I was very young and didn't have the money to buy the more expensive ones. These books gave me SO much in the way of instruction and teaching for very little money and even today have GREAT VALUE even though most have tripled in price. This book is often credited as being written by Jean Hugard, however the book states that he was only the editor of the book, not its writer. So, I ask, does anyone know who actually wrote the book or was each effect written up by its inventor and compiled and edited by Hugard? I have searched the web for the answer, but to no avail.

Best,

Adam

Hi Adam,

The original Encyclopedia of Card Tricks was written by Glenn Gravatt. It was later edited and expanded by Jean Hugard.

Best,
Vlad
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
David Britland has a great article on the scandalous history of The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks over at his blog, Cardopolis.

Here's a link, and 2 paragraphs as a sample:

http://cardopolis.blogspot.com/2002/08/d......mer.html

The Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks began its life with one less “a” in its title and far fewer credits. A Dr Wilhelm Von Deusen and Glenn Gravatt compiled the volume in 1936 and created something of a controversy among the card cognoscenti to whom many of the tricks belonged. The book was nothing less than a reprint of every great trick the pair had in their scrapbooks, everything they had read in a magazine, bought from a dealer or purchased as an exclusive manuscript. “Over $1,000 worth of secrets,” boasted the advertising. It was true, but the secrets weren’t Deusen’s or Gravatt’s to dispose of. Annemann described it as “piracy on a grand scale,” suggesting that it should be marked on maps of the South Seas. And he laughed when the book was pirated by another publisher and Gravatt reduced to taking ads out pleading for purchasers to buy the “original” and not the copy.

Despite its dubious antecedents, The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks was not a book to be ignored. It contained hundreds of tricks in its two unwieldy mimeographed volumes. In 1937 Max Holden got permission from the contributors to put out a hardcover edition and handed over the editorial duties to Hugard and Crimmins. Their names gave the pirate tome a legitimacy that it had previously lacked. Still flying under the shadow of the Jolly Roger it was more of a Sir Francis Drake than a Blackbeard. The book became an instant classic, Tom Bowyer describing it in The Linking Ring as, “Truly the most valuable card book ever published.”
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
And to add to Duaneberry's excellent post, Gravatt always made it a point to remind people that he was the original author. I have a book from him called Final Selection (long OOP) and he states in the intro his credits and makes it very clear that The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks was his and he implies he's not at all pleased with the way things turned out with the Hugard edition.
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 15:21, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-12 15:08, Adam Wood wrote:

Best,

Adam

Hi Adam,

The original Encyclopedia of Card Tricks was written by Glenn Gravatt. It was later edited and expanded by Jean Hugard.

Best,
Vlad

Thanks Vlad! Of course, the last place I looked was inside the book itself (doh!)where it clearly states that Mr. Hugard had rewritten the text.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I like this book a lot, but the recent paperback reprint omits Annemann's introduction, which is a real shame.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1559 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I have the 1961 Faber paperback. The only Introduction is by Francis White, then President of The Magic Circle. He gives all the credit to Hugard.

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Encyclopedia of card tricks by Jean Hugard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL