The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.F. Bay Area & NorCal magician Check In (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..28~29~30 [Next]
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
Check out Jay Alexander in the May issue of Magic Magazine! I already have my copy reserved with Joe Pon do you?

C
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I will be on your coast in the fall, if you'd like to have my lecture anywhere in your area, give me a buzz.
Magic Ian here: Ian Garrison

Any openings at your club?
The 30th anniversary tour will continue until January 1st.
I have been doing the first lecture since 1977, and it has been well received at SEAM, IBM, SAM, PCAM conventions plus countless IBM and SAM clubs. Also one of the only lecturers to have performed the lecture 5 years in a row at the Tannens Jubilee.
-----------------------------------
The lecture is on rope, canes, candles, rope, balloons, silks, some coins and small objects, cards, and did I mention rope?
----------
The second lecture is one entire lecture devoted to one rope effect called "dances with ropes". I did this new lecture to RAVE reviews and even the DVD on it has been getting high praise.

Quote:
“Magic Ian is one of the guys that taught me how to be inventive...he can teach you too!

His CREATIVITY and ideas are brilliant; his lecture is worth traveling to from anywhere..don’t miss it!”

-Jeff McBride Las Vegas Headliner

Magic Ian on youtube: coin in Balloon Professor Ians Nightmare username= stagetricks

My personal web site of videos: http://www.magicians.tv

I have a one-man- parade in Linking ring in June, 09

Thanks,
Magic-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Congrats Jay!
A great read in Magic Magazine.

Magically, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Great Press!
The San Francisco Examiner just published a wonderful article on our San Francisco Magic Parlor, you’ll find it at:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment/44028047.html
'Eccentrics' celebrates San Francisco's mavericks By: Christina Troup

Magically,
Walt
by Walt Anthony

Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
That is a great article, congrats again Walt! But are you really going to add Jim Jones-?!!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Bwahahaha!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jay Alexander
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
28 Posts

Profile of Jay Alexander
Thanks Walt! Congrats are your press as well.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1616 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gaddy, Jay, Christian, Walt et. al.

There's a dichotomy twixt the cool, professional, suave and otherwise working magicians in the city and the slightly (or in some cases greatly) less talented and less mainstream crew centered about the penninsula.

Y'all, (I lived in the depths of southern America for far too long) are cordially invited to the only magic convention that's spitting distance from the greatest city in the world. The Golden Gate Gathering.

I'm guessing some or most of you already know the indomitable Mr. Rhodell. He'll vouch for our little conclave. I realize most of you are way too cool to attend a magic convention. This one is . . . well . . . different.

1. Our dealer room is Bryon Walker. (We don't have a dealer room, really. We just like Byron and he likes to bring books for sale.)

2. We drag in close-up guys to lecture and hang out. Kohler, Dobson and J.C. have worked the real world for a long time. Some of the stuff they're bringin' is worth takin' home.

3. The whole thing is a pretend convention. It's all about the session room. It's all about the session room. Oh, and the best magicians/performers that show up are rarely the lecturers.

4. This isn't an invitation only thing. It has that vibe, in that we don't post huge advertisements anywhere. There is no exclusionary thing going on here. Three Gs beat four Fs any day.

Consider expanding our circle of friends in the Bay Area.

http://www.bamagic.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'll be there Kent!

I'll also be at the Oakland Magic Circle tonight giving a lecture on Bar Magic @ 8:00pm if anyone is interested...

Nothing formal, just going over a lot of my repertoire, talking about doing magic successfully in a bar (on either side of the bar) and sharing some stories...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4811 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Maybe one day I'll make the drive and check your meetings out, I'm not that far away. Smile

In regards to the GGG - hands down the best little gettogether in North America. I haven't missed one yet and am looking forward to seeing all my friends and of course always making new ones. Smile

P.S. Look, the GGG is so good - last year I attended the entire LVMI in Las Vegas and then flew directly to San Francisco for the GGG...sleep? Who needs it! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1616 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Steve,

Love ya big guy!

Gaddy !!!! Dude . . . your lecture was excellent. You were prepared and had excellent information to share with the OMC. Your time behind the bar, doing magic for real people shone through, like a real ray of sunshine.

I especially enjoyed seeing you do the cups and balls. I love that trick. You asked me what kind of magic I do. I know that's what the cool lecture-dude has to say to to the fat old farts at magic meetings. You did it with zero condescension btw, huge marks!!!

What kind of magic do I do?

I do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYmGnK4K9g

I do the cups and balls, like no one else on this planet.
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

My show reopens the 5th of June and runs on the weekends so I won't be able to make it for the weekend of the 12th. Plus, once the show opens I'll be broke. Aspiring theatre artists don't make a lot.

C
www.christiancagigal.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 01:48, kentfgunn wrote:
Steve,

Love ya big guy!

Gaddy !!!! Dude . . . your lecture was excellent. You were prepared and had excellent information to share with the OMC. Your time behind the bar, doing magic for real people shone through, like a real ray of sunshine.

I especially enjoyed seeing you do the cups and balls. I love that trick. You asked me what kind of magic I do. I know that's what the cool lecture-dude has to say to to the fat old farts at magic meetings. You did it with zero condescension btw, huge marks!!!

What kind of magic do I do?

I do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYmGnK4K9g

I do the cups and balls, like no one else on this planet.

Kent, it was my honor and privilege to lecture for the OMC. Many thanks to Byron and Scott and the rest of the board for allowing me that opportunity.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and found it informative as well. I was afraid that my old tricks out of "Clever and Pleasant Inventions" wouldn't cut it! I'm really not breaking much new ground here at my bar, but I do love to perform for people and to make 'em happy. I have a great love for magic in all it's infinite variety...

I'm a younger guy in magic -it's true, but I'm pretty old-fashioned in that I have great respect for my elders, and that goes 10X fold when it comes to magic. I learn as much as I can from as many places as I can, but I always find my best answers from those who have already traveled on the long road. PS- your "fun shop cups and balls" is GREAT!

Honestly I walked in there HOPING I had at least a half hour worth of effects and notes, but, going on an hour when I asked how we were doing on time, I realized I could have been up there for another hour! Yes, I'm that much of a blowhard!

Once again, my great thanks to you and the membership of the Oakland Magic Circle for letting me share my small brand of magic with you, and I hope you'll allow me to do so again in the future!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

REVIEW: 'Eccentrics of Barbary Coast' takes a magical tour through S.F. history

Saturday, May 9 2009

By Pat Craig, Contra Costa Times

With a part of the restaurant at San Francisco's Chancellor Hotel turned into a Victorian-era parlor, the characters in "Eccentrics of the Barbary Coast" have a cozy place for a homecoming.
The low-key 90-minute show, designed as much for Bay Areans as for tourists, blends tales of legendary local figures, from Emperor Norton and Alma Spreckels to Jim Jones and Anton LaVey, with a parlor magic show. The result is a delightful nightcap following a busy day in the city or a nice theatrical after-dinner mint for those not quite ready to call it a night.

The performers, magicians Walt Anthony, David Miller and Brian Scott, along with storyteller Ruth Fraser, take the stage with an elegant charm, spinning their yarns about the historical figures with magic tricks that are somehow keyed to the characters they are presenting.

Spirits are summoned, for example, when they tell the story of Mary Ellen Pleasant, a wealthy San Francisco woman who was a leading abolitionist and supporter of the Underground Railroad, and later rumored to be one of the leading practitioners of Voodoo in the city.
When Anton LaVey's story is told, an impossibly heavy wooden box said to contain the souls of those lost to LaVey's Satanist church, is lightened following incantations.

For those who grew up and grew gray in the Bay Area, stories of more contemporary figures like Jones and LaVey seem a bit out of place on the same bill as the bull-goose loonies of the 19th century, such as Emperor Norton and Oofty Goofty (who made his living by allowing people to kick him or hit him with a baseball bat for a price). It doesn't help that memories of the Jonestown tragedy at Jones' compound, still feel fresh.

For newcomers and out-of-towners, though, those two are just more cogs in the amazing wheel of eccentricity that has spun San Francisco into a magical town of fog, food and foolishness.
If nothing else, the show gives hosts another destination to take visitors — and, except for those unusually well-versed in San Francisco lore, the "Eccentrics" show will offer surprises and new information to those who live here.

Anthony, Miller, Scott and Fraser are all seasoned performers who put their audiences at ease and gently lead them into the tales, just as they might do with guests in their own homes. The small venue has a charmingly intimate feel that really does seem like a comfortable parlor. The show is still in its early stages and could use some additional visual elements — slides, perhaps, of locations mentioned in the stories — to help flesh out the theatrical nature of the performance.

Theater Review
• WHAT: "Eccentrics of the Barbary Coast"
• WHERE: Chancellor Hotel, 433 Powell St., San Francisco
• WHEN: 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, open-ended
• RUNNING TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
• TICKETS: $30; 1-800-838-3006,
http://www.brownpapertickets.com, http://www.sanfranciscomagicparlor.com/

SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER - Entertainment

'Eccentrics' celebrates San Francisco's mavericks
By: Christina Troup
04/29/09

Walt Anthony absolutely adores The City. He jumps at the opportunity to play the role of tour guide when friends and family come to visit.

About six years ago, Anthony, who has more than 25 years of experience in stage magic and acting, began to experiment with the idea of blending theater and magic in a way that would take audiences on an emotional journey as well as highlight the place he’s proud to call home.
With the help of David Miller, Brian Scott and Ruth Fraser, he created “Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast,” a colorful chronicle of San Francisco’s sumptuous past.

Evoking the atmosphere of a Victorian parlor Fridays and Saturdays at the Chancellor Hotel, Anthony and company weave together vignettes about San Francisco’s wide array of eccentrics.
“San Francisco protects and nurtures its eccentrics, rather than rejecting them like other big cities might,” the Chicago transplant says.

Anthony says the aim of the show is to “be truthful without being factual all the time, since sometimes legend outweighs the fact.”

Who are the “eccentrics?” Mary Ellen Pleasant: On one hand, Mammy Pleasant was a civil-rights activist who used her fortune to further the abolitionist movement, but was also rumored to have been a voodoo priestess.

Joshua Norton: The businessman who lost his mind proclaimed himself “Emperor of These United States,” and was embraced by The City rather than shunned.

Alma Spreckels: “The Great Grandmother of San Francisco” coined the term “sugar daddy,” supposedly invented the garage sale and persuaded her first husband to donate the Legion of Honor to San Francisco.

Anthony says additional legends may be added, possibly including contemporary characters such as Peoples Temple founder Jim Jones.

“I find that people who come to San Francisco … come here wanting to know what happened during the Gold Rush, what happened after the earthquake and want to know who these people are that the streets are named after,” Anthony says. “They really love hearing about The City and that’s why they leave their hearts here.”

IF YOU GO:
Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast
Where: Chancellor Hotel, 433 Powell St., San Francisco
When: 8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays through July
Tickets: $30

THE SAN FRANCISCO TRIBUNE:

Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast un show de magia y alegría
Tres fantástico magos y Buenos cuentistas se reúnen para relatar historias inéditas de las personas más coloridas y excéntricas de nuestra bella ciudad de San Francisco. Aparte de los excéntricos de la historia, también veremos en acción a tres excéntrico comediantes y actores en un show de aproximadamente hora y media de duración.
Los excéntricos de San Francisco es un show para todos, pero especialmente para turistas que llegan nuestra ciudad por una visita corta y gracias a Ruth Fraser, Walt Anthony, David Miller y Brian Scott, quines cumplen con una brillante actuación, aprenden mucho sobre nuestra venerada historia.
El recorrido empieza con caracteres singulares de principios del siglo XIX con relatos inéditos de la época de búsqueda de tesoros y del oro, con [personajes tan típicos como Mark Twain, quien paso el invierno mas frío de su vida en un verano en San Francisco; con famosas prostitutas y mujeres exhibicionistas de la altura de Lola Montez, o filantrópicas de un corazón de oro como la gran Alma Spreckels.
Este bello recorrido histórico es muy divertido y es siempre acompañado por increíbles actos de magia, como la mesa que se eleva sin ser tocada. Por más que nos matamos buscando, no pudimos ver ningún cable, un truco fenomenal; o por ejemplo el truco de las cartas que se terminan clavando en una espada solitas, estas eran las mismas escogidas secretamente por el público respetable.
Eccentrics of San Francisco's Barbary Coast es un show estupendo, merece ser visto por chicos y grandes; es un show de magia, risas y cultura general que se presenta en el Hotel Chancellor, sito en el 433 Powell St, San Francisco. Se presenta hasta el 4 de julio.
Informes: http://www.sanfranciscomagicparlor.com/

ROUGH TRANSLATION:

Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast -a show of magic and happiness-

Three fantastic magicians and good storytellers gather to relate unpublished histories of the most colorful and eccentric people of our beautiful city of San Francisco. Apart from the eccentrics from history, also we will see in action three eccentric actors and comedians in a show of approximately an hour and a half in duration.

Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast is a show for all, but especially for tourists who come to our city for a short visit, and thanks to Ruth Fraser, Walt Anthony, David Miller and Brian Scott, will enjoy a brilliant performance, and learn a lot about our venerated history.

The journey begins with singular characters of the beginning of the 19th century, with unpublished histories of the search for gold epoch, with personages as typical as Mark Twain, “who spent the coldest winter of his life in a summer in San Francisco”; with famous prostitutes and women exhibitionists of the fame of Lola Montez, or with the philanthropic golden hearted, big Alma Spreckels.

This beautiful historical trip is very entertaining and it is always accompanied by incredible acts of magic, as a table rises without being touched. However much we killed ourselves looking, we could not see any cable, a phenomenal trick; or for example the trick of playing-cards that ended up being stuck on a sword, and were the same cards chosen secretly by the respectable public.

Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast is a marvelous show, it deserves to be seen. It is a show of magic, laughter and culture that that is presented in the Chancellor Hotel, situated at 433 Powell St, San Francisco. It appears until July 4. Info at http://www.sanfranciscomagicparlor.com/

THE BARBARY COAST NEWS
http://www.thebarbarycoastnews.com/

A funny thing happened on my way to Union Square*

*(I was captured by magicians)

With an out-of-town visitor in hand—someone who’s seen most everything there is to see in San Francisco—my guest and I wandered out one recent Friday evening to see something completely different—a night of magic and storytelling at the Chancellor Hotel.

Calling their presentation Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast this group of four magicians and storytellers weave tales of the sometimes weird people and events of the early Barbary Coast into their magic tricks. So you get a little history with your entertainment!

Set in the Victorian Room, an intimate first-floor dining area inside Union Square’s Chancellor Hotel, legends of another time in San Francisco come alive. My guest loved hearing tall tales of vigilantes, Shangai Kelley (whose bar was, I believe, right down Pacific Avenue—a stone’s throw from The Commons), hookers and a voodoo queen—those individuals who peopled The City 150 years ago.

The performers began their magic presentations in April and will continue until July 4, 2009. The 90-minute show, which is available on Friday and Saturday nights only, begins sharply at 8 pm. The room accommodates a maximum of 40 people, so it’s important to reserve your space if you plan to attend.
by Walt Anthony

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
N E 1 here do sum magic?
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Hi Gang,
Quick reminder that "Now and at the Hour" returns to SF starting this Friday June 5th and runs every Friday and Saturday until August 15th. (NO SHOWS JULY 3RD AND 4TH.)

For, info, tickets and reviews from New York please go here
http://christiancagigal.blogspot.com/200......ml#links

For those of you who saw our Preview performances earlier this year, this is a very different show from what you saw...in a good way =)

Hope to see you all soon,
Christian
www.christiancagigal.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1616 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Christian,

I'm trying to talk the GGG crew into making a mass migration to Now and at the Hour. What is max seating? How early would we have to purchase tickets to assure we could get six together?

KG
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

WOW I'M HONORED!
Here's the link to buy tickets.
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/52529

It's only a 49 seat theater. The ticket price is a sliding scale of 3 choices, don't be shy to choose the cheapest choice, no really I mean that. But, all seating is general seating. To my own surprise I'm starting to get to the point where the show sells out just from the calender listings and word of mouth. But, one never knows how that will change (economy and such you know) so, I'd say buy tickets ASAP if you want to be able to get a whole group in.

This is awesome! Thank you!
Lemme know when you guys are coming!
C
www.christiancagigal.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Christian!

Congrats on the re-launch of "Now and at the Hour"…
it’s great to have a downtown neighbor in magic.
The preview version was quite good,
so I expect this will be a fantastic show,
can’t wait to bring the Eccentrics crew!

Magically,
Walt
http://www.SanFranciscoMagicParlor.com
by Walt Anthony

Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
202 Posts

Profile of Ronin
See you this weekend Christian--I'm really looking forward to it!

And, for those of you who haven't seen "Eccentrics of the Barbary Coast" (Friday and Saturday evenings at the Chancellor Hotel off Union Square)...what are you waiting for?

It's a delightful show, one of the best storytelling magic productions I've seen. For us magicians, the effects may not be especially new, but to see their effect on a lay audience is a lot of fun. And the "Eccentrics" cast has done a terrific job of creating an entertaining ensemble of character-performers. The stories are a well written and told, and often amazing.

Check it out!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » S.F. Bay Area & NorCal magician Check In (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL