The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Angel hits the big time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Criss has apparently signed a HUGE 10-year contract to peform LIVE at the LUXOR in Las Vegas... AND was re-newed for a THIRD season with A&E.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
Cool
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
And that's only half the story...

Basically you could say the show will be Criss du Soleil...as the show will be a Cirque du Soleil production.

With that kind of money and production talent behind him...it should be a heck of a show.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
That sounds cool. His caracter I don't think is very good on tv but it would probly make a great stage show. I realy liked his version of the sub trunk he did on the last episode of minde freak. If his show has good stuf like that it will be great.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
This sounds perfect! I would certainly want to see the show.

The MindFreak strange desert gang looks as if they were lost from Cirque du Soleil anyway.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Well... I'd say a weekly television series is already " the big time" ..LOL.

The cirque connection makes perfect sense as right now cirque shows rule Vegas.

Best,

Tim
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Criss is already a performance artist and his style and show previously fit in well with the CDS style of shows.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Personally, I think it's a bit sad to see an "alternative" voice in magic join the shlocky mainstream. A bit like find out a really cool grunge band had just signed a contract to play, well, Vegas. I suppose Angel never really was that alternative anyway, but I'd like to think his style doesn't fit in with the sequins and Wayne Newton set.

I'm a bit embarrassed to be a practicioner of an art form that has as it's physical center the most shallow of American cities. Think music, think Detroit and Nashville, etc.; Think martial arts, think mountaintops and islands in China and Japan; Magic? Las Vegas. I'd love to have a few magicians out there breaking that connection. I guess we need someone more truly alternative than Criss Angel. I still like some of his magic.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't write Chris off just yet as joining the sequined set. I think he'll drop the baseball cap and grunge image but stay with something still in his style.

Hey... with all the !@#$%ing I've done about his camera tricks... I will be glad to see him do any sort of a live show. LOL

Best,

Tim
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I needed a reason to go to Vegas, now I have one.

Joshua,
When Mindless Television (MTV) got into politics and punk went pop, every line I crossed, as a teen, was erased.
POOF!
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I for one will be attending that show for sure. I have critized him over and over for what he does on TV. Now he will have the chance to prove his critics wrong. I certainly hope he succeeds. And if he does, I´ll be the first in line to recognize it.

A third season for Mindfreak? Well, the creative team will have to work a lot of extra hours.
filmyak
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
150 Posts

Profile of filmyak
Quote:
On 2006-07-26 19:41, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Personally, I think it's a bit sad to see an "alternative" voice in magic join the shlocky mainstream. A bit like find out a really cool grunge band had just signed a contract to play, well, Vegas.

You're not thinking of the economics of a show of this scale. Has to be in a city with a constant stream of tourists who want to see shows. It's the only way to pay for the huge infrastructure costs -- have you ever seen a Cirque show in Vegas? They have stages alone that cost close to $100 million. And I mean literally the STAGE itself!

Without the tourism centered in Vegas, it'd be impossible to do a show of that magnitude and stay financially solvent.

That said, as "shallow" as Vegas may be, there are some spectacular shows there. Not the old-style Vegas cheese-o-rama shows, but new, high end top-notch productions. Especially the Cirque shows, which are wonderful and significantly better than any of their travelling shows.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The "O" show is more magical than any magic show I've ever seen. I've been hoping that Cirque produce a magic show for years. Criss and Cirque are a perfect match up.
POOF!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Pete, what is your vested interest in this? Do you really believe that chris will succeed in his show?

Would you think that cyril would do better? And if so would you ride his coattails? I think that you and your cronies would be better suited to establish yourselvels rather than ride the coattails.

Just my opiinion(which would obviously disagree with yours)
Magic is a vanishing art.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Edh:

Don't know who you are, but I bet Pete established his creds before you were born. Your anger seems a rather inappropriate response to Pete's informational post.

So as long as we're asking questions, let me ask you: What axe are you grinding?

B
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Congrats to Criss and all involved with the program. It will be interesting to see what kind of live show Criss and the SDC crew can come up with.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1152 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 19:51, edh wrote:
Pete, what is your vested interest in this? Do you really believe that chris will succeed in his show?

Would you think that cyril would do better? And if so would you ride his coattails? I think that you and your cronies would be better suited to establish yourselvels rather than ride the coattails.

Just my opiinion(which would obviously disagree with yours)

WOW...obviously not familiar with some of the history of our little craft here. On top of that, you might be interested in knowing that Pete has worked with Cyril on his visits to the States. So, he is not that unfamiliar.

There are actually some of the names out there that have learned quite a bit from Mr. Biro. You might be surprised. Or just naieve.................
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Edh-
Among MANY other achievements, Pete Biro had some of his effects printed in Tarbell's Magic Course. Also- together with Joe Porper he has created some of the nicest magic effects in recent history. He does not need to "ride anyone's coattails." Nuff said.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Also, keep in mind that Angel had a hit off-broadway show in NYC before his series, so it's not like a stage show is new territory for him.

I missed the opportunity to see it when I was up there a few years back, because the loud Marilyn Manson-like music blaring from the theater and Criss's look really turned me off. Now I deeply regret that choice. I didn't realize what a serious magician he was.

I'd love to see him live sometime (but not enough to come to Vegas...)
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
You can smile in the sun of ones success, or, you can frown in shadows. Were I Cyril, I'd be happy for Criss.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Angel hits the big time (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL