The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove from Newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Apparently there are two different props that can be used for this routine. If you have experience with either one, could you give me a recommendation?
Thanks
Max
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Max, you may want to tell us which two you've seen. There are several methods for dove from newspaper but telling us which you are interested in will help with the recommendations.
Where the magic begins
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I am only aware of two (I am sure there are more): 'Dove Production from Newspaper'. I don't know who makes that. The other is 'One Handed Dove Production' by Bazar Magica. If there is another that could be recommended, I would certainly appreciate that information
Max
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Max,

I use two methods in the same routine. The first dove is produced as a body load with a newspaper dove harness which I sell through DoveLite. The second dove is produced by a Chalet Gloves to Dove when I toss the newspaper onto the table.

Just as a note I prefer using the Comics instead of the regular newspaper. It is more colorful but more importantly the ink doesn't ruin my costume shirts like the regular newspaper does. (Yes DoveLite has those dove harnesses too.) Black newsprint will also come off on your dove.

These are not the only ways to produce a dove from a newspaper. There are also many newspaper dove vanishes.

Are you just fishing or do you have something specific in mind?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I currently have a Dove production, but I am looking for a short production to start a smaller show. A one minute routine that leads into a 'Dove to Bunny'. This will be geared more to older children (9 and up) and adults.
Max
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Then why fool with the newspaper at all? Nine-year-olds don't care what's in the paper. Adults are the best kids in the audience! Use something more colorful. Do Knots-off Silk and then produce the dove from the silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks Dave & Bob,
Your suggestions are appreciated. Now I have to decide what route to take. Still sitting on the fence contemplating.
Max
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't forget that a dove in a harness can be produced from a table as easily as body loaded from a newspaper.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks Bob,
I have put this idea on hold until I conquer a more pressing problem. I am trying to come up with 1-2 drug abuse prevention using a dove pan, square circle and professor's nightmare.
Max
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Max,

For over twenty-five years in my stage shows, I go from torn and restored newspaper to the dove production. Then the ball of newspaper is tossed on a gloves to dove and produces a second dove.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.. I have a question..

What kind of dove holder do you guys use for the dove from newspaper? I understand there is a newspaper print dove holder on the market, but what do you guys use? If I had to guess on a holder to use for the newspaper, I'd go with a white or gray (if people make gray).. I remember seeing Lance Burtons act, and he ended his center tear newspaper tear with the production of a dove, and the black holder stuck out like a serious sore thumb!

Thanks guys!
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, if black is good enough for Lance, it's good enough for me. Seriously, any color will work if you are careful not to expose it. There are newspaper designed holders. Bob sells one and I know General Grant carries them. have you ever considered making your own? Once you have the concept, it's pretty easy. You can find any color you want at a fabric store. I don't use a harness or holder at all with my torn and restored. It just gets in the way. I don't believe Bob does either. Correct me if I'm wrong, Bob.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Sounds good, Dave.. I'll contact Bob about the holders..

I'd really love to create my own holders and harnesses, but 1) don't have a sewing machine and 2) don't know how to.. Haha.. But I would love to learn how to do it properly.. Any help?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well, a hem around the edges will keep the harness from ravelling. You could buy the material and have a tailor or seamstress sew the hem for you. A holder is really just a piece of cloth folded in half really. As you get experience making them, you can start experimenting with sizes and shapes. I'm not sure what holders you already have but if you compare a Tony Clark harness with a General Grant harness, they are totally different in shape.

I'm sure Bob will chime in here shortly on the newspaper subject.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks for the holder-making-basics, Dave! =]

I have a Tony Clark holder, and one holder from Alpha here on the boards.. And yes, very different! I don't really like the way the TC holder was made, because its too hard to load the bird in, so I opened up the sewing on the top and am going to modify the top of the back with velcro, which will only be opened and closed for insertion, and some other sort of clasp or something to open it for the production..

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
For clasps, think about snaps, magnets, dress hooks and cloth zippers. Not recommending any here, just giving you some ideas
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dave there is another common closure used by professionals that I never see discussed on The Café. That is the nylon model airplane hinge. It is clear, noiseless, and with the pin removed makes a good fastener. Replace the hinge pin with a piece of wire. Some of us use a broke guitar string because it already has the bead at the end for attachment. (And we have plenty of broken guitar strings!)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bob, I didn't mention this only because it is a marketed harness but you are correct and it's a great closure for quick, one handed productions.
Where the magic begins
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Vinnie,
If you desire to make your own harnesses, Go for it! This is a great idea for two reasons I can think of off the top of my head:
1) You can create any color you desire.
2) You can create harnesses which will fit your doves perfectly.

I would also recomend Greg Frewins DVD set. It may seem a little pricy but the information contained therein is invaluable! Couple that with the experts on here that have already passed you advice and you will be well on your way. I wish you the best in this endeavor!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We have experts on this forum? I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove from Newspaper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL