The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Billet DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1588 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
New Billet DVDs
They are at the duplicator's now, but in a week or so, Allen Zingg will be releasing his 4 volume 5 DVD set on billet work. I have not seen these yet, but over the last 8 years, I have seen Allen do most of the items in this set in person. Allen lived close to me and we got together frequently.

He is the best billet worker I have ever seen and arguably the best ever. He really fooled me with most of them and I was sitting either across from him or at right angles to him at a table at the local diner( the New Jersey mentalists meeting place)

These are not the kind of DVDs you can watch once and absorb. They are full of detail and subtlety. I think we will need to watch them through, then go back and pick and choose the techniques we want to master. I know that the Dance of Shiva will be on there and Allen has made it less complicated and uses it with Docc's permission.

Much of the content is Allen's original work and is superb.

They will be in the area of about 35 USD each and the set for $140 or so.

Contact Allen for details....he is going to offer a discount if you buy the set from him directly. You can contact Allen at:

azingg.ix.netcom.com

<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Oh my god.
A 5 DVD set on billets!
This is so cool!
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
By the way, the link you provided does not work.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1588 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2006-07-26 22:00, Phil Chau Kin Man wrote:
By the way, the link you provided does not work.

Its not highlighted for some reason, but it IS his email address (not a website). OK, I see what I did wrong. Here is the correction with apologies.

azingg@ix.netcom.com

Best,
Tony
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Just heard from Allen, and they'll be out in a few weeks...

Thanks for the heads up Tony!

S
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6392 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Allen has some great work with billets so there should be some wonderful stuff within those DVDs.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Great!

First Stuart Cumberland announces a Billet DVD set, and now Allen....who's next? Annemanns nephew? {;-)
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Allen's set of DVDs have been in the making for quite a long while; I think it is safe to say the project started well before any of the others. This isn't to take a thing away from wonderful recent releases such as Thought Reading With Billets: Acidus Novus (acutally CD) and Annemann 2005 or Stuart's soon to be released King of Billets.

Allen is a perfectionist and set himself very high standards. He wasn't going to release these DVDs until he could get them done just the way he wanted. This included getting permission from others as Tony indicated above.

What originially was meant to be contained on 4 DVDs eventually required 5, Allen had so much he wanted to include and describe in complete detail. He wouldn't consider releasing it until it was something he'd be proud to own.

I've been in communication with Allen since this project was in its most embryonic stages which is an apt metaphor because this is his "baby." We've discussed the joy, the frustrations, the labor pains and now the birth (to stay with my increasingly streatched metaphor). I can't wait to meet this kid!

Bill
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I am not sure which one, I will buy now?? Geesh, I guess it all will depend on price and or reviews. I Like Sturats material, so I guess it is a waiting game now.
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Sounds wonderful... It does seem though, that fewer and fewer mentalists are doing billet work now (at least the ones that I saw aren't, which of course in no way represent the larger community), so this sounds really exciting. I'd love to see a good billet routine in this day and age. That would rock. Smile
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I think it will be wonderfull both as a educational and research tool, but one good switch, one good index and one good peek is enough.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3192 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Cool! I really like some of Allen's material from Billets Naturally. He mentioned the videos in the booklet and I've been eagerly waiting to get my hands on the new stuff.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3192 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 11:45, RickThibau wrote:
I think it will be wonderfull both as a educational and research tool, but one good switch, one good index and one good peek is enough.

I agree that you CAN get by with one good switch. However, IMO, some switches are better suited for certain situations then others.

Things to consider are:

Angles
Difficulty
Speed
Visual Deceptiveness
Limited Applications
Blocking Requirements
Misdirection Requirements

There is often a trade off, so I like having multiple options for any given routine or venue.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3192 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Other things to consider are:

Paper requirements
Fold Requirements
Objects at hand
Optimum distance from audience
What you want to accomplish
How you plan to get a “read”

I think it’s best have a bunch of methods at your disposal
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I agree with ElliottB.
I like to have a wide skill set and multiple methods.
So in many cases, I would not be constrained by anything.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I can't speak for Stuart's King of Billets (though based on past work I suspect it will be very good) but with Allen's set you are getting much more than just a peek, a switch and an index. As those above mentioned, certain methods fit certain people better and different situations may require different handlings.

But it is even more than that from what I know of Allen's project. There will be effects and routines. There will be ways offered to control the writing without in anyway being coercive. Reasons for using a billet in the first place without having to say a thing to justify why or arousing the least suspicion are included. In the area of CTs, all of the above plus perfectly congruent, again not necessarily spoken, reasons for tearing are provided. These are the questions I've seen come up again and again at the Café; there is even a current thread on justifying the CT. Imagine having these questions resolved once and for all PLUS all the methods and effects.

This is in no way a cursory explanation of billet work. Not on 5 DVDs! Allen has gone to great lengths to include details that make all the difference in the world and to make sure he is teaching in a way to make everything easily accessible. Again, these are not the kind of DVDs where you are going to watch once and go right out and perform; they require study, practice and dedication. And this is what all of our work deserves.

Before it becomes an issues I am compeltely biased Smile. Two of my ideas are included in the set and wouldn't be there if I didn't know they were in very capable hands. Like the rest of you, I am eagerly awaiting this release.

Good Thoughts,

Bill
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3192 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
His “Automatic Fold Switch” rocks. It’s very easy and has unlimited applications. I use a (somewhat modified) version all the time. If he teaches just that one switch on a DVD, it’s worth picking up. His routines are also quite good.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 09:57, Maddened wrote:
It does seem though, that fewer and fewer mentalists are doing billet work now ... I'd love to see a good billet routine in this day and age.

Bob Cassidy has a limited-release manuscript out now entitled "The Secrets of Perfect Billet Work." Notable, in respect to the above, is the blurb's statement,

"In addition to a substantial amount of new material, everything's been reorganized, re-edited, and updated to meet the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."

Although the ms (apparently) doesn't come with any video I'm very interested in his claim to address "the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Bob Cassidy's ebook is actually called One-Man Billet Routines. It includes three video clips of billet work from Bob's Black Box DVD.

Richard
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 17:40, MentaThought wrote:

Bob Cassidy has a limited-release manuscript out now entitled "The Secrets of Perfect Billet Work." Notable, in respect to the above, is the blurb's statement,

"In addition to a substantial amount of new material, everything's been reorganized, re-edited, and updated to meet the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."

Although the ms (apparently) doesn't come with any video I'm very interested in his claim to address "the technological and social challenges that threaten the future of mentalism as a viable performing art."

Thanks for the reference. Well Cassidy is one of the "old guys", so to speak. I mean, from what I can tell (and again this is by no means the reality, it's just what I have been exposed to and what I perceive), the "new" thing is NLP. Luke Jermay, Kenton Knepper, Derren Brown etc are the oft-quoted and oft-performed material. And along the way, billet work seemed have falled through the cracks.

And yea, it'll be interesting to see what he means by "technological and social challenges" but as for "mentalism as viable performing art", I thought it's becoming more popular than ever! For both viewers and performers! Smile

Again thanks for the Cassidy reference. Hmm... I wonder if there is anyone out there who still features billet work as a major part of his act ala Annemann's "One Man Mind Reading Act".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Billet DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL