We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Costuming for extreme heat.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Its hot here; 80-100 degrees. And yet, there are still events, fairs and picnics going on outside...with entertainment. Any thoughts on how to dress for the heat and still look magical?

CW
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I wish I could tell you CW. I am still looking for a look that is cool in the summer heat but still very magical. I've tried a t-shirt under an opened Hawaiian shirt with a pair of nice khakki slacks and I really don't like the look because I think I don't look very magical. I've even thought about consulting a stylist if I could find one. I usually wear a white shiney shirt with a nice blue satin vest and a black pair of slacks and sweat my butt off.

Hopfully someone else has some suggestions.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Darkwing
You have the right idea, but if you add some cool sun glasses, and a straw hat you will set yourself apart enough to look like a magician. If that look doesn't work for you sometimes I wear dress pants, short sleeve dress shirt, and a vest which also can hide imbarrasing perspiration marks.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- What's the deal with the t-shirt? I think it is both too much clothing, and a tacky old f**t idea. Let them see your neck grandpa.

PS- If you think you have problems try juggling for four hours in the sun.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd love to find some off-the-rack jackets that look like what Mick and Keith wear on their tours. Their stuff is probably tailor made.

I'd love to find light vests that already have pockets in them, inside and out, with ribbing to keep the clothes from clinging from the sweat. I'm thinking that a photographer's vest might be the way to go.

Some of the Jamaican guys I've worked with wear undershirts that are made of netting. Seems like it would be great to wear under my shirt, if only I could find some.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Al A, you crack me up with your post. Fortunally for me, I don't juggle (yet) so I haven't had the pleasure.

Ahhh, I'll just keeping looking. Ya know that Fantasy Island look is looking better all the time.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Alan,

For the t-shirts made of netting, try International Male. I believe they have whatyou are looking for.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Darkwing
I'm so glad you think I'm funny. There are some members here at the Café who are insulted by my stand up comedian sense of humor. Please feel free to wear an undershirt if you so desire, I'm no authority on fashion. One quick story about the undershirt, if I may reminisce a little. In 1960 the year JFK was elected president I was 15 years old, and I made my poor old mom throw out all of my white undershirts because none of my friends wore them, and I havent wore one since, so that's my undershirt story. I am also Italian American, and we love to show off our gold chains, so you see my friend this undershirt phobia is in my genes, not even my 90 year old father wears that obsolete garmet, but he's Italian too.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
One thing that important in all hot-weather clothing is NATURAL FIBER. The fabric is the key to your comfort.

Today, about 85 and very humid, I had two historical events in period clothing.

This morning was a 90-minute tour I guided through the center of my town in a 19th century outfit, primarily from Wild West Mercantile, long pants, heavy cotton, long sleeved pullover shirt, satin puff tie and a pretty heavy vest. Topped off with a derby.

This afternoon I spent 3 hours in the sun at a historical fort. For that I wore 18th-century clothing, actually, exactly what you see in my avatar. This was by the waterfront and it was breezy, but there was no shade.

The thing is, these outfits are all cotton and linen. The fabric breathes very well and doesn't feel as hot as one would think, even with several layers. At Plimoth Plantation, about 45 minutes from here, the "Pilgrims" are outside in WOOL from head to toe at this time of year.

A synthetic T-shirt can feel hotter than a long sleeved cotton shirt. Try to stick to light colors and to cotton and linen.

Sure, I lost a lot of moisture today and I'm exhausted as heck right now, but I survived. I've done this a few times a week from June through September for nearly a decade now. After a while, you just don't notice the heat as much.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ah the horrors of being a Gothy Bizarrist and Ren Faire Sideshow Performer...
Either all black stuff, or layers upon layers of clothing.
All I can contribute is keep Hydrated.

And buy good deodorant.

Gwyd
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 18:46, Al Angello wrote:
Darkwing
I'm so glad I make you laugh. There are some members here at the Café who are insulted by my blunt honest style. Please wear an undershirt if you so desire, I'm no authority on fashion. One quick story about the undershirt if I may reminisce a little. In 1960 the year JFK was elected president I was 15 years old, and I made my poor old mom throw out all of my white undershirts because none of my friends wore them, and I havent wore one since, so that's my undershirt story. I am also Italian American, and we love to show off our gold chains, so you see my friend this undershirt phobia thing is in my genes, not even my 90 year old father wears that obsolete garmet, but he's Italian too.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

Al, don't change anything about your style and the way you write. As a Southern Gentleman, I admire and defend your honesty. As a side note, I guess I don't have to tell you to change your undershirt though. LOL
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I just cannot afford to perfrom outside. Even inside some places are not that comfortable. Natural fiber is a great way to go. I am having a difficult time finding long sleeve bright cotton shirt (navy blue, red, etc) that have the formal look. International male has mainly silk and poly - that's a killer here in Phoenix.
Max
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Sorry, can't do this any other way. Suck it up. There is no art without pain. If you happen to stumble onto something that is comfortable, you got lucky, enjoy it. Odds are, however, you will either sacrifice "look" or "comfort". It's just the way it is. I live and perform in Houston, Texas. I own and often wear a poly tux. You deal with it. You make the customer happy. If it's a huge discomfort, you charge enough to make it worth your while. Be ever so careful you do not spend too much time on the path towards comfort. You may quickly find you have long since lost the path to customer service.

If you have health issues, you address them any way you can. I'm not talking about that, though if you are unable to remain healthy, and satisfy the customer, perhaps it's time for a change of occupation.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jack is right we get large sums of money to work for short periods of time, so as the man said "it's time to make the doughnuts", of course the other option is to get a 40 hour per week day job. I live in Pennsylvania where it is only going to be in the middle 90's today, thank God it isn't Phoenix, or Houston. Juggling for 2 hours today, and 3 hours tomorrow will be a piece of cake.
Al Angello

PS- be sure to wear sun screen
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks Al,
Enjoy your coool weather. When our temps get above 110 I prefer to work inside. I blame it on my bunnies. Most people want to be kinder to a cute bunny than to an old Magician. I still would like to find a source of cotton material stage type shirts. International male has the polys and silks.
Max
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Hey Jack,
You are right 'suck it up'. But at the same time, I want to be as comfortable as possible. In our desert heat that is important for anyone's health.
Max
Mozart
View Profile
New user
Rochester, MN
80 Posts

Profile of Mozart
Wear the tee shirt. It acts as an insulating layer that keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Even better, visit a police supply store like http://www.galls.com and look for the ribbed undershirts that cops wear under their bulletproof vests. The raised channels create a layer of air between your inner and outer garment that helps you stay cool.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1037 Posts

Profile of bsears
I picked up a nice, black suit vest from Bachrachs made specifically to be worn in the heat. It is made of a very light cotton with a thin liner. The tag inside calls it a "performance fabric." Keeps me cool and looking professional.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Bsears,
Thank you for the information. Howevewr, I did a seasrch and couldn't find the performance fabric vest.
Max
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I just received my Texas Cool Vest ( http://www.texascoolvest.com/cvl.html ). This white cotton vest fits comfortably under my wardrobe, adding about a half-inch of bulk to my torso. For my cop buddies out there, it looks and fits about the way the old Second Chance body armor vests fit.

The bonus is the chemical cool pack that comes with the vest. THe vest comes with four. I ordered four more as back-ups. On moderately hot days, insert two. On very hot days, use all four. The packs are designed to maintain a comfortable 67 degrees F body temp for up to two hours. They don't freeze or drop to temps that could cause harm with body contact. The packs recharge to temp in an hour on being placed in a refrigerator or adjacent to a frozen ice pack in a cooler.

I wore mine for the first time with two cool packs during a two-hour pre-game appearance for a local ball team. Outdoor temp was 90+ with a slight breeze and bright sun. For the first time, I came away with barely a sweat. I was very comfortable and far less worn out at the conclusion of the gig.

I was skeptical...but I'm sold. This vest is my lifesaver for the remaining years's hot day gigs and future events. Highly recommended if you spend any time at all outdoors on hot summer days.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 17:39, Darkwing wrote:
Alan,

For the t-shirts made of netting, try International Male. I believe they have whatyou are looking for.

Nothing like that there. Hopefully, there's a store, outside of Jamaica, that sells them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Costuming for extreme heat.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL