The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Am I the only one. . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This has been around for a long time. I first saw it performed by Doug Henning in about 1976(?). It was originally called Sands of the Dessert. Three different colored sands were poured into a giant bowl and stirred around so that all of the sands were mixed together. The magician thrust his hand into the bowl and removed each color of sand separately and completly dry.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
If you'd like to own a little bit of that history, Doug Henning's own Sand of Egypt is for sale at magic auction. It's complete with several bits and pieces and in it's original wood travel case. I saw him use late 70's as magicman pointed out.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It goes back to be described in Greater Magic and was a feature of many of the great..Gwynne, Virgil, Blackstone.

I remember doing it with Blackstone Jr. at Abbott's.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 17:36, RandyStewart wrote:
If you'd like to own a little bit of that history, Doug Henning's own Sand of Egypt is for sale at magic auction. It's complete with several bits and pieces and in it's original wood travel case. I saw him use late 70's as magicman pointed out.

You know, I was just thinking back on that auction after seeing the photos of the original bits and pieces. I'm not sure I'd want it anyway. I mean it's all there except the part that made the "magic" happen which was Doug Henning himself.

I'll pass.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
How do you know his ashes aren't in there, mixed in with the sand? Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
john1960uk
View Profile
New user
John Roberts
22 Posts

Profile of john1960uk
Hi the effect has been around for many years, back to Hoffman may be? not using this material though.

Does anbody know Billy McCombs story about the guy that used to use condoms for this? Quite amusing, especialy when Billy was around to tell it :-(

John
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 17:36, RandyStewart wrote:

I looked and only saw one there, and it didn;t mention Doug Henning. Do you have a URL?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think what makes the effect so great is not so much the effect itself, but the ability to really be creative in your presentation of the effect. This effect opens you up for some very creative and wonderfully themed routines. I have seen many do some wonderful creativity with it through the use of poetry, music and storytelling. It can become a very powerful piece.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Yep, that's what I was suggesting as the "real magic" having gone with Doug Henning. The bits and pieces left in his travel case are just that unless someone makes it special.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Randy- gotcha, and I agree. Doug Henning did really gave this routine a new life in his hands.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Oh buddy, he was the FIRST to show me something "magical". I was a child and he blew me away into what I'm doing now. Smile

It's very sad that I can have the equipment of the day but don't want it. I do use what he showed me! Smile I apply what I learned from him on Telvision to my own.

Yes I do!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is amazing what we magicians can create if we are willing to realize that an effect is merely an effect until creativity is added to it to make it into something so much more magical and entertaining.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
FOr any of you looking for a technical method with a twist ending I recommend the
cd-rom book "Magical Renaissance: A Modern Wizards's Grimoire" Volume 2: Theatrical Magic by Malaki Dracwin.
A nice treatment of the effect, its method and a clever presentation including storing and transporting info. I found it very helpful.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Am I the only one. . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL