The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A Little Preparation... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
I was at a BBQ Friday evening with family and friends. After reading MrSmiles' post last week, I decided to do some minimal preparation in case I was asked to perform some magic. I could have got by without it, but I'm glad I did it.

I've been studying and toying with a TT for some time (I have Jay Scott Berry's Eclipse Tip & explanation DVD) and I decided it was time to put it ito action. So I took it to the BBQ, loaded with four different colored sponge balls, in my skirt pocket.

At the BBQ, the conversation soon turned to magic as there was lad there who did card stuff. He was doing some very good tricks. (I do not have much knowledge of cards, co they can still wow me).

Then I was asked to perform and did so "at a moment's notice". Cigarette manipulations with someone's cigarette went down well, then some coin effects, then a couple of sponge ball routines with balled up napkins.

Then I performed "The Magic of the Spheres" by Jay Scott Berry. Four different colored sponge balls are produced one by one, until you are holding all four,then they are vanished one by one. Because everyone had been watching me the whole time, and because I was wearing short sleeves, the appearance of that first sponge ball floored everyone. Where did it come from? Where could it have come from?

I think my point is that the simple one minute preparation I did that night (loading 4 balls into a TT) went a long way.

This also ties in with Jaz's post,because it LOOKED impromptu to everyone there...and I think that greatly increased the reaction from the audience Also, I think that the magical appearance of an object or objects that hasn't been seen previously is one of the strongest effects around.

My motto now is: "Be Prepared".
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great story...and really good advice. Thanks, Mark. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Beautiful!
Nice job Eva!
Love the closer. Smile I can see how it would freak them out.

I don't normally carry any 'assistants' but if I'm going to a gathering of any kind I'll bring some unseen assistants. I'll also rehearse what I may do if I haven't done them for a while.

I've actually made a list of impromptu effects, 'assistants' that look common for a setting, unseen 'assistants' and objects we find when in different situations.

Each are sorted below BBQ, formal banquets, people's homes, at bars, at work, at office type environments and things that people carry on their person.
This way I can decide on what to bring and rehearse prior to my going there.
Yes, I prepare for those impromptu moments when I'm in the mood to perform. Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Brava, Eva, Brava!

First, that's a great choice of material.

Second, your moment of thought and preparation made a VAST difference in the perceptions of the audience - you BECAME the Magician during the ball routine!

Third - Your after show analysis proves that you are "thinking like a pro" and making sure that you understand the underlying dynamics of WHY you succeeded so well!

Higher prasie I cannot offer!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Sven Heubes
View Profile
New user
Duesseldorf, Germany
59 Posts

Profile of Sven Heubes
I don't really have to do a show-off where ever I am, but Eva, you're right. Be prepared!!! I always have something with me for the "just in case" moments. Yesterday I was just visiting a friend and it was one of the very few times I had really nothing on me... So there was a girl from a big booking-agency.. "Oh, your are Sven... Michael just told me that you are a professional magician. Can you show me something..?" Whoomp, there it was!!! But I saved myself with some Annemann-Force, PK touches, spotaneous spoon-bending and so on. She was quite impressed, because I endet up with a 20 minute performance without having any props on me. That got me a direct booking. So go on like you do, but perhaps start about thinking what you still can do without having ANYTHING on you (like Cigarette and Napkins)!
Very good Eva!

Good luck,

Sven
If you were half as good as you think you are, you would be double as good as you think you are...

Dai Vernon
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I also agree with the idea of having a 10-20min impromptu act prepared for
the kind of situations mentioned above. but I also agree with eva that a minor preparation for a great effect is well worth it.
very nice story eva and I really like your choice of material.
keep up the great work !

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A Little Preparation... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL