The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » traditional reel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Guys,
Just wondering where its possible to get a traditional reel, as I've just seen Michael Ammar doing the self tying/untying rope- looks great. Is it expensive?
Another thing- I've never done any rope magic before, and so was wondering what magic to do to surround this piece. Where do you get your rope from also?
Thanks for the advice,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have heard that the Owen reel is very good but I haven't used it myself. It's kind of expensive, but I think that I'd like to have a really great reel. For the price of the Owen product I would hope that it's fast and perfectly silent. Does anyone have personal experience with it?
I have an aging Paul Diamond reel that I just can't coax to work reliably or quietly any longer. I used to use it at the end of my linking rings to put a silk thru a solid ring. The silk penetration is really the only trick i like with a reel. the animated rope or silk just never looks convincing to me.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Yes, fairly expensive. You can get a cheapie brass one for $10 at daytona. I have not ordered it yet so I can't comment, but thats the cheapest brass one you will find.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
The Kirkendall reels are back on the market again, and are the best reels that you can get. They are smooth, quiet, and quality from start to finish. There was a full page ad in either Genii or Magic this month, I do not know the new price but when kirk was still alive they wwere selling for $35 which was a bargain when you considered the amount of work that went into machining them.
Hope this helps
Marty
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Kirkendall gets my vote as well.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Cool! I like hearing the recomendations for the Kirkendall reel - I saw the ad but didn't know anything about them - their website isn't very informative. If they are as good as you say then they are a REEL bargain! (sorry Smile )
The cheap-o $10 brass ones are lousy - very rattly and loud - icky feel too. I don't know if i'm talking about the same one Daytona carries, but I got a fairly nice LOOKING little brass reel from somebody a couple years ago - can't remember who, it was made in India tho. And bad. I think the thread AND the spring broke on the one I had. I was able to repair in, but nothing I could do would make it quiet.
Are the Kirkendall one's truly silent? Are the new ones the same as before? Can anyone compare these to the Owen reel?
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
What's the performing distance like with the rope effects? Any chance of doing it while table hopping?
Thanks again.
ps any hints concerning more rope magic would be appreciated.
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
Has anyone had any experience with the Kennedy Retractor??

I've heard that is supposed to be a good piece of equipment.

Terry
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Also, Is it possible to do the knots effect with a smaller piece of rope and a stealth retractor? This might be better for close up work.
Thanks again,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

sjdavison-
There is a lot of rope magic you can choose from. The obvious Professor's Nightmare, or any cut and and restored rope routine. But you would have to switch out the ropes in order to get the one with the reel into play.
An interesting effect I have seen is to use a rope to lasso a selected card inside of a paper bag. It uses a completely different type of gimmick, but you could have a rope prepared to do both tricks - it would defintely not be examinable at that point.
The only rope trick I currently do is a simple cut and restored rope routine. I use cheap cotton clothes-line with the core removed. If I was going to prepare a rope by attaching a reel or other gimmicks I would want to use nicer "magician's rope". I know that Aldo Colombini sells excellent rope at: http://www.mammamiamagic.com/rope.htm
But most online dealers have something available.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1102 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Also, Is it possible to do the knots effect
>with a smaller piece of rope and a stealth
>retractor? This might be better for close
>up work.

The Stealth Retractor doesn't have the same torque as a traditional reel so I would be hesitant to use it to move heavier objects, even a smaller piece of rope.
Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
Reference: Martini's message......

"The Kirkendall reels are back on the market again, and are the best reels that you can get. They are smooth, quiet, and quality from start to finish. There was a full page ad in either Genii or Magic this month (Dec 02)"

---------------------------------------------------

So does anyone know if Kirkendall reels are back on the market again as indicated by Martini? I haven't seen them anywhere.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know how a Kirkendall reel can be on the market as Mr. Kirkendall is deceased. If there are any reels, they may make a comparison, but to say it is a Kirkendall would be an error. George did all his own work.

Marty Martini may know where they are available as well he may carry them, he is a dealer.

http://www.martinismagic.com/

You may email him.

Stevens Magic has a new Utility Reel for sale here:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2045

I went to Martini site, did not see any Kirkendall reels advertised.

http://www.martinismagic.com
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings:
The website for the Kirkendall reels is no longer working. As the ads in the magazines stated; Gaylord Johnson (Protege to George Kirkendall for 35 years) was making the reels available again.
We have been unable to make contact with Gaylord or get any more reels for a while now. Check with Stevens Emporium as Bill stated above, or try calling Betty at Haines House of Cards 513-531-6548 to see if they have any of the original Kirkendall, or Gaylords reels around yet.
I still use a Kirkendall reel and it has never left me down yet, it is one of the best you will find.
Hope that this helps.
All the Best
Marty
DmanO29
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of DmanO29
Are any of the reels offered by penguin magic worthwile?? They seen king of expensive!!
Always remember, the best effects cost nothing. Practice is worth more than gold.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » traditional reel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL