The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » So you're with some friends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sipa
View Profile
New user
Watford UK
7 Posts

Profile of Sipa
Hi all,

I'm not a magician per ce, but am fascinated by it, love performing it, love seeing reactions, love entertaining. I have a number of routines, Invisible Deck, A Poker Cheat (developed from a Paul Zenon one) Cigarette through coin etc etc etc.

The biggest trouble I find is performing one or two in front of friends and business aquaintences. I've tried a variety of techniques to launch into great effects. Invisible deck was fairly effective just by sitting there with a deck of cards next to me, someone always asks. I've tried some spooky magic at times when the subject of ghosts and the supernatural comes up, but I can't seem to make it flow well enough to really maximise the result. I've had cards cunningly hidden (and eventually burnt) in BBQ's without anyone ever knowing simply because the right moment didn't come up!

So, simple scenario, you're in the garden and assume you have everything to hand, 3 or 4 housemates turn up and you're talking about the weather, your day, their day, work, life etc.

Oh and Hi, I'm Simon, new here Smile Any like-minded amateurs in Watford UK?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi Simon.

The problem when performing for people who know you well is that it's nearly impossible for them to believe you're doing real magic. Tricks yes, magic ehh.

It's not like you can talk about things that they know you haven't experience. Because of this fact you can't really create a semi-fictional character who has met famous people, travelled the world, etc. Unless of course you have. Smile

When I started out quite a few people knew that I was practicing magic and had seen me do a few 'tricks'. If they were interested in magic they would often ask me to do something.

Other times I would do what you have done to get attention. Float something, mess around with a few half dollars, make sure a deck of cards were in sight, etc.

And yet other times I would ask if they wanted to see something cool.

I hope this helps in some small way.
Sipa
View Profile
New user
Watford UK
7 Posts

Profile of Sipa
I didn't look at it from that angle, I think in some ways it opens extra doors. They know me, but then does anyone really know anyone? I may have simply forgot to tell them I went on holiday to Mexico and was kidnapped by a gang of bloodthirsty pigmys...

As for the first point, it makes sense, the anonymity does come along with power. People who know you make the worst hecklers when they know they can get away with it.

Thanks for the reply Jaz,

Keep Smiling Smile
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Welcome Simon!

I also think it is of value that your friends know that you are studing or even dabbling in the Arcane Arts of Magic and that you treat it seriously.

Your true friends over time see many effects done by you and they can become quite good test audiences.

If all goes well...your friends will start to request and insist that you do some magic on those evenings in the garden...and under those circumstances...miracles can occur!

And Jaz is spot on...it is hard to resist somebody asking if you want to see something cool...or Strange?
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2006-07-31 08:29, Sipa wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not a magician per ce, but am fascinated by it, love performing it, love seeing reactions, love entertaining. I have a number of routines, Invisible Deck, A Poker Cheat (developed from a Paul Zenon one) Cigarette through coin etc etc etc.

The biggest trouble I find is performing one or two in front of friends and business aquaintences. I've tried a variety of techniques to launch into great effects. Invisible deck was fairly effective just by sitting there with a deck of cards next to me, someone always asks. I've tried some spooky magic at times when the subject of ghosts and the supernatural comes up, but I can't seem to make it flow well enough to really maximise the result. I've had cards cunningly hidden (and eventually burnt) in BBQ's without anyone ever knowing simply because the right moment didn't come up!

So, simple scenario, you're in the garden and assume you have everything to hand, 3 or 4 housemates turn up and you're talking about the weather, your day, their day, work, life etc.

Oh and Hi, I'm Simon, new here Smile Any like-minded amateurs in Watford UK?

I really like the way you are waiting for the right moment to come up ,
I find the best magic is when it seems on the spur of the moment to the audiences minds ,
When people know you do magic you are going to get asked at some point but its good to try and manipulate the conversation accordingly to situation to suit whatever effect you are going to do ,
Ps I think there is a magic club in Watford and it is supposed to be very good and friendly ( I have a great friend and great magician Carl whos a comedy magician who goes)
Regards
Jeremy
Sipa
View Profile
New user
Watford UK
7 Posts

Profile of Sipa
Magic club in Watford?

Sounds interesting, could you get me the details?

Simon
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Sometimes what people want the most is that whichthey can not have.

Have you ever turned down a request to trot out a trick. In my experience the requests get more forceful and they are willing to be entertained...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Humor works best. If you start, "As you all know, I was kidnapped by pygmys in Mexico early last year...", then everyone laughs and buys into the story for the duration of the effect. Of course, then you are locked into a humorous presentation of the effect, but I've found that works better than trying to do 'serious' magic among friends.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Yes I have the same problem with friends and acquaintances, I am never taken seriously when performing anything. Yes they are amazed by the tricks, but don't think about anything "real"!

Bye

Rebecca
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
The great thing about performing for those friends is that it lets you hone your skills in front of people who care for you. Even if my friends know I'm a magician, and know I'm doing "tricks", they still enjoy the entertainment, and I get to polish new effects in preparation for the times the audience doesn't know me. I just do close up work. It's important that we understand that most people have NEVER seen magic up close. They are generally blown away.
Sammy J. Teague
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Well, I sympathize, as I'm in the same boat. I'm of the group that believes in scripting - even the simplest of effects. If you think following a script seems too stilted, it simply means you need to keep on working on the script until it doesn't! The script need not be complex, but needs to be **there**. Use a word processor, and keep on crafting it. A great, fabulous book is Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe. I urge you to get a copy! He has tons of examples by great magicians - really interesting is his script for the simple Hot Rod trick - if you can script THAT trick, you can script anything! Smile
Hope this helps. Oh - also, the book by McCabe does NOT include technique in his scripts - he assumes that the technique is very well practiced.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Learning to script would be quite fun to do. I just wish I knew more on how to script myself
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
The McCabe book will give you everything you need to know to start scripting. Also, Eugene Burger has some fine essays in some of his books on scripting.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » So you're with some friends (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL