We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Program Reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
In the fine review of Marc Salem's show, Piers wrote,"The Tricycle theatre is small but intimate, and the matinee well attended. The stage was simple – 4 chairs, and a table with props. The lights dimmed, the lights rose, and there was the smartly dressed Marc Salem.

The performance began with some simple mind warm up exercises, trying top divine numbers from the audience. That got things started.

Marc then went on to progress through a series of effects, gently building on each, and working his script and ad libs to the full. We were treated to various mind reading effects, using simple but effective props. He borrowed a child’s book from the audience for a book test, used a daily paper for a newspaper act, employed poker chips for an entertaining murder scenario. No lasers, no lights, just superb presentation."

One of my favorite parts of the original JINX Magazines was the program reviews. Most were written in the above tone. It would be a valuable resource to us all to see how the best of the best structure their shows. Just a brief description of the effects and their order - no secrets revealed or even hinted at. There are a lot who seem to be good at structuring a routine but not so good at structuring an act, and there are less resources that address entire acts. The 'order of effects' or programs of top mentalists would be a helpful resource, particularly if there was some commentary by the mentalist.

Just a thought.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I agree, but most people hide these facts. Even in private conversations people will not share that type of information.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
A valid point... and I loved the Jinx reviews too.

Maybe this is why we do watch others perform, and look up books like those of Chuck Hickok and Ortiz, as other resources are fewer and further between.
And perhaps becasue of human nature, we find discussing the latest 'effect' more exciting?

Best!

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Program Reviews (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL