The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Nothing up my sleeve... Ľ Ľ Palms Of Steel 2 Favorite Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
For those of you who have seen Palms Of Steel 2 what is your favorite routine from them? I like Reed's International Dissolve and then The Goblet. What I liked about them is they each took me two days to get down. Great stuff. I am so impressed with this DVD. What about you guys?
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
555 Posts

Profile of KC
I really liked Kainoa Harbottle's segment. I'm not very skilled with coins, but I like to pick up a few sleights here and there and the Mutobe Palm is something to play with. And the coins from nostril is a fun little thing to do for little kids.

Curtis and Reed's stuff was good, but require extra chinese coins and such which I don't have at the moment. The only thing that bothered me about Curtis's routines is that some of the sequences seemed the same in his routines that involved Chinese and silver coins. But the Goblet was probably my favorite routine.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I liked Beijing Coins Across the most. The only reason I liked it a little more than the Goblet is that it is stand up, no table, which increases the venues it can be performed in.

You got those routines down in two days Ben? You are a better coin magician than I.
Click to visit:
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Thanks for your kind words, KC. My two favorite routines are Coercive Purse (because of how fast it moves and its psychological subtleties) and Tiananmen Square (because of its slower tempo). While there are a lot of fast coin routines, Tiananmen Square (TC for short) really....savors itself, I guess. Its tempo is fun in that it allows for the optically pleasing multiple productions of coins and the psychologically shocking production of coins from the purse. Most coin routines these days are about the speed and eye-candy factor (my stuff included), but TC gets in the visually pleasing along with the mystery.

And, as the DVD points out, the original version of TC was done with stuff Curtis just had around; while not as aesthetically pleasing as the Chinese coin sets, I certainly found the original entertaining (esp. when the things that came out of the purse were more and more different....I was expecting the first row of Chinese coins but not the tokens and certainly not the washers). In fact, I wonder if the inherent difference of the coins in the original effect wouldnít make it stronger for laypeople (i.e. would people think that Chinese coins that are just different colors are easier to hide) . But perhaps the differences in the colors and their value for creating a beautiful layout are enough. Curt?

I donít have the Chinese coins either, nor can I practically conceive of the pocket management that would go into doing this trick in a walk-around setting (though Iím working on it, mainly because its like Miser's Dream without a pail), so Iíll be content to make coins come out of my nose for now. Chicks scream when I make coins come out of my nose (though I havenít figured out if that's necessarily a good or bad thing).....
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-12-17 09:52, Kainoa wrote:
Chicks scream when I make coins come out of my nose (though I havenít figured out if that's necessarily a good or bad thing).....

I think you are on to something here Kainoa. Combine the coins from nostril with TC and put together "The Inexhaustible Repeat coins from Various Orifices" (TIRCFVO) and you have a winner!
Click to visit:
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
You're right, Dan....the two would actually go together (the stranger the coins get, the stranger the production sequences should be). Incidently, I did work out a card routine called "Oriface Travellers," which included the card in mouth, and tweasers to help with the card from the nose and ears, and featured a climax that involved an assistant dressed in a nurse costume who (thankfully) locates the final signed card folded up in her latex glove on the other side of the stage before she can do the real "work."

But I don't see why the routine couldn't also be done impromptu with coins.

Besides the difficulty of procuring the props, what did other people think of Tiananmen Square?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Regarding TC, it is stunning to see 13 coins of different types eventually appearing.

There was one over-riding part I did not like which was having to reach into the coat and the pocket to "produce" coins.

I think to a layperson a coin production from a pocket or jacket simply means what it looks like - he just got the coin from his jacket or pocket. (Even though this is not the case).

For a magician reaching into the pocket or jacket means, I bet that is where he is getting his next load for the purse.

Curtis told me you can start with everything palmed which would eliminate my gripe with the routine, but holding out 12 coins at the start provides its own set of issues to contend with.

With all that said, I don't know if the routine could be improved. The coins HAVE to come from somewhere and Curtis' solution is necessary. It doesn't mean I have to particularly like it!

I did a full review of my opinion of the DVD at http://www.coinvanish.com
Click to visit:
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I think you're right, Dan....not only is my favorite "move" on the DVD (after the edge grip to Mutobe palm stuff, of course) the Beijing change (though I think it works better as a call back climax than an out-of-no-where one), but the pocket trips do bother me as well....though I wonder if with the right subtilties and wonder words, those trips could be largely erased.

But I was wondering if anyone else thought that what the TC needs is not necessarily a different technique, but an act which it serves as the structure for? After all, the strength of the effect comes from the production of the coins from the purse, which requires time misdirection between the various steals (though if you're going to steal three from a pocket, you might as well steal six). Maybe if the tempo was coins from purse, coin trick, more coins from purse, different coin trick, repeat ad nauseam, TC could serve as structure for a longer set piece?
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
POS 2 is hardcore. I love it. My hands were a little sore the first time I tried going through all the stuff on the DVD.

What a blast.

Thank you coin magic gods!!!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
My gosh, I leave my computer for a few hours, and look what sort of talk goes on!

I have a couple of solutions for the TC problem, Dan and Kainoa, but Kainoa's not going to like them because:

a. They can tend to make you feel like "a dorky stage guy" and

b. I'm not telling unless Kainoa does something about that obnoxious avatar. Smile

(where did Steve put the puking smiley?)

Okay, you talked me out of it. The productions from the pockets were a matter of practicality and laziness only. When doing TC in a more formal presentation, I suggest putting the coins in clips, and pinning the clips either behind the lapels (in which case the coins are stolen as the other coin is produced from the lapel) or inthe usual spots. (in which case the coins are stolen from the clip either before or after the production of the coin, or during its production, if stealing into the other hand--which is the most deceptive way to go.)

Or, you could sit down and lap everything. Yeah, right. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
The DVD is very good.
I like the best the goblet, the purse and the spider vanish. International dissolve is alright, but why 3 different coins?
Does it add something to the effect? I'm not sure. What is your opinion?

Marc
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-12-17 13:36, Curtis Kam wrote:
I'm not telling unless Kainoa does something about that obnoxious avatar. Smile

I thought the avatar caught the "unique" personality he portrays on the DVD.

If he was going for real obnoxiousness it would look something more like this:

Click to visit:
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
My favorite routines on the DVD were Kainoa's Repeat from Nostril and Curtis's Beijing Coins Across. I'm a heavy cardguy, but I'm expanding my horizons and starting coin work. I'm just a beginner at this point and what I really like about Beijing Coins Across is that it has several phases. The whole routine is excellent, but I'm able to learn a small part of the routine and still have a cool effect. Right now I can do the basic coins across idea from the video. I'm working on the coin flurry sequence. And once I have both I will be able to combine them (with practice of course).

And Repeat Coins from Nostril... what can I say? Kainoa... I just love your personality Smile I'm not joking when I say I watch this routine at least once or twice a week. It is so much fun! It's one of those things that I aspire to eventual perform.

Excellent stuff and I look forward to POSIII...POSIV...POSV... etc.. Smile

-Jason
PS. Curtis & Kainoa your retentions are amazing!
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
LOL! That's great Dan....you have way too much time on your hands....that version is the Kainoa doing his impersonation of what Max Mavenís Video Mind should have looked like. But I'm glad you appreciated the subtlety of my self-representation.

But yours was inspirational.....

Someone....make an avatar for Curtis!......

And Iíll accept the clipped stacks, as long as they can also double for a version of David Rothís Lapel Coin where you ditch the real coin really early on.

Thanks Jason, I think....If you can find a copy of the orignal Deceptions in Paradise video, there are even stranger people doing even more hillarious things worth watching on a weekly basis.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Lol... you guys are so funny. Hey Dan, the only reason I was able to get those routines down was because I already knew the MM move by Paul Wilson in International Dissolve and I was doing some similar handling in the Goblet... believe me.. when I first started learning them they took weeks! LOL... So guys.. I was there for taping at IBM and I wanna know.. how is palms of steel 3 coming along in the production?? Oops, maybe I should not have said that. Smile
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
You guys are very strange Smile

I will say I really liked all of the routines on this DVD. The structure and thought process on this DVD of each routine is a prime example of how coin magic is evolving. Curtis is a true thinker and strategist when it comes to cooking an audience.
Now Kainoa has the hands of the finest brain surgeon, except he is way more entertaining than a brain surgeon. He is a very fun guy to be around and fun to watch perform anything. Well, as for the fat white guy with all of the tattoos on the DVD, his reason for being there was to hmmm, well he, ummmm, see the fat guy, errrrrr, he well, because I am not sure why, but he is really honored that his friends invited him.

To answer why three different coins for international dissolve. Because I can and it's fun. Smile
I feel it is ok to do tricks for fun. Do they need to have rhyme or reason? I hope not Smile Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I believe that having three coins makes the trick more interesting.. and if it was just half dollars it would be called American dissolve. Then they would think Reed was a communist and take him away. Then there would never be any more Knucklebuster volumes and I would be very sad. So Reed is in Jail, I'm sad, a bunch of people are too just because you people want the same kind of coin in a three coin trick! Are you happy now? By the way, I am joking Smile
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
First off, I love this DVD GREAT STUFF guys!

I found the material more inspirational than anything else. Lots of ideas popped into my head while I watched this.

TC is also my favorite. I agree with Kainoa that it may need something more of a story. This something is going to consume a lot of my time as I try to work out a routine on this plot.

I love stuff that makes me think and get excited about practicing again. Very little of that gets to the market place today. good job guys!
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I for one really admire Reedís CSB work, and esp. enjoyed KB3, which reads like a long, fun CSB set. Besides, anyone with that many tattoos has the right to vanish whatever the heck they want, as far as Iím concerned.

But this fat and usually white (while not in Hawaii--while there, Iím pink) humanís favorite routine that was filmed that evening was Reedís, and I believe it will be out on PoS III. Itís the real work on 4 Co-Pro from KB1 and it made me whimper when I saw it.

Beware!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Before we get off this topic, I want to mention three things:

1. PoS3 was initially estimated to be ready "by Christmas". I have not heard otherwise, but I also have not had this confirmed in a while. It may be time to light the torches and rouse the villagers. We're storming castle Magicsmith!

2. Everyone seems to have overlooked one of my favorite bits. I think it's the first new reproduction of a coin to be published in a long, long time. Think about it--magicians consistently produce coins from their elbows, ears, knees and in the air, or from corresponding locations on their spectators. Truly disturbed individuals do repeat productions from the nose. But Kainoa is the first person I have seen to use the old "pulling off my thumb" gag to produce a coin. It's brilliant. A combination of funny, fooling, and bizarre. And it's not limited to coins. To mess with magicians, do it with a 9" silk! The production just flies by on the DVD, so watch carefully.

3. I have to announce that Kainoa's fave, 4 Co Pro Plus does indeed appear on P3. However, Kainoa has been replaced by a card trick.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Nothing up my sleeve... Ľ Ľ Palms Of Steel 2 Favorite Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL