We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Single card rising from deck to hand held above. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicianfaust
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Profile of magicianfaust
Many years ago I made up a trick from a magic book, in which a card rises up from the deck held in one hand and into the opposite hand held about 16 inches above it. It is a very old trick. No reel was employed. Two or three cards were involved in the thread arrangement, which comprised parallel black cotton threads passing through holes in the card to rise, with a loop for the hand above to engage, causing the card to rise slowly, without twisting, into the hand above. The rear card had a button attached to be gripped by the thumb of the hand holding the deck. I have a photo of my late uncle presenting this effect, showing the card halfway between the deck and his hand above, but I cannot remember the thread arrangement used, nor the book in which it is described. If anyone knows the book in question, or the thread arrangement used, I would be very pleased to know.
Granville Taylor has the pleasure to present THE LAST OF THE GREAT MASTERS OF MAGIC: FAUST THE MAGICIAN with his fantastic "WORLD OF MYSTERY" Show featuring Amac's Giant Three-Card Illusion "FIND THE LADY" - Positively the Most Amazing Illusion Ever Conce
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Possibly the book is "My Best" by J.G. Thompson?
magicianfaust
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Profile of magicianfaust
Quote:
On 2006-08-02 19:29, jconstans wrote:

Many thanks. I will check it out later. I sold all my Magic library over ten years ago, and this book was not one of them, but no doubt the method appeared in more than one publication. The book I got the description from was a very early book.....1910 era....strange that I did not keep a reference to the method used. All I know is that two or three cards were used, threaded in a special way, so that one card rose slowly out of the deck to the hand above, travelling on the parallel threads through holes in the card. Not easy to describe! Thanks for the information...much appreciated. Faust.
Granville Taylor has the pleasure to present THE LAST OF THE GREAT MASTERS OF MAGIC: FAUST THE MAGICIAN with his fantastic "WORLD OF MYSTERY" Show featuring Amac's Giant Three-Card Illusion "FIND THE LADY" - Positively the Most Amazing Illusion Ever Conce
magicianfaust
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Profile of magicianfaust
Quote:
On 2006-08-02 19:29, jconstans wrote:

Regret the effect is not in the book "My Best" by J.G.Thompson. I think the description appeared in a very early magic book...1910 era...not to be confused with the stage methods described in "New Era Card Tricks" by Roterberg.
magicianfaust
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Profile of magicianfaust
Problem solved! My memory has returned, and I remember the source. No need to look any further. Photo attached shows my late uncle Arthur Nash presenting the trick.

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Single card rising from deck to hand held above. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL