The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting on craft foam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Has anyone painted craft foam? If so what paint worked best and how did you glue it?
Thanks
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There are different types of sheet foam out there, but they pretty much share a common problem: the solvent in spray paint melts them.

To paint sheet foam, the best bet is a water-based (aka acrylic or latex) paint. Besides being thicker than spray paint and therefore filling the holes better, it gives you a nice hard surface. If necessary, you can apply two or more coats. An old trick in theater, when using carved-foam elements, is to cover them with cheesecloth (applied with a diluted white glue) and then paint over it. It provides a durable surface.

Nowadays Krylon makes a water-based spray paint. I haven't used it, but I suspect it's just as thin as the older types.

I've also painted foam pieces with a water-based paint as a base coat, and then sprayed over it. It worked fine, and then I sprayed urethane over it to give it a nice hard glossy surface.

Off the subject, but if you want to create a texture on the foam, standard spackle works fine: just put it on and do whatever you want with it. I recently made a couple of Styrofoam cheesecakes for a musical, using spackle to define the outside and top surfaces, and the darn thing looked good enough to eat.

As far as gluing the stuff, good ol' Elmer's will do it. Put the glue on, spread it out, and then put some pressure on it for a couple of hours. For very large surfaces, 3M Spray 77 is great.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In the hardware store the other day I noticed that Krylon now makes a latex spray paint. This might work.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Amosmc, it's usually the chemicals in the spray itself rather than the paint. Unless the can is specifically labelled "Safe for use on foam", you better test it on scrap first (in a well ventilated area- melting foam can release toxic gases.)

George is right, prime it with a water-based brush-on first. Alternatively (and I've done this when building model terrain, so I know it works) you can brush on white (Elmer's) glue diluted with water (about 1:1 more or less). At that ratio it won't clump up, but will make a nice sealing coat which you can apply spray paint on top of.

George, remember wheat-paste? Good ol' wheat paste and horse glue, applied to old cloth. Great for covering flats, platforms, and props... once you get used to the smell, that is.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I used an airbursh with acrylic and it worked great. It filled in the foam and did not make it hard.
Thanks
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
cardsharpist
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of cardsharpist
Tester paint and Krylon H2o paints work very well and do not melt the foam.
Son of a Beat
View Profile
New user
Montréal, Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Son of a Beat
I recommand non-solvant base CONTACT glue. The white one. It's great for gluing and as a pre-paint cover. It will fill the holes and reduce the "grain" effect on white foam sheets.

SOAB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting on craft foam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL