The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Dealer Sales Events and Discounts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Simon Tan
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
55 Posts

Profile of Simon Tan
If a store like Hocus Pocus which has a massive database to boost, wants a share of the discount marketing gig, they would need to revamp their database. It can simply be by adding one parameter into the data of discounted items, so that users can view these items by a simple click of a button.

No pain no gain. Too much ambiguity exists in today's magic websites. It is imperative that the owners need to update their websites constantly to provide a clearer and more accurate representation of what they are selling, and in this case, the discounted items. If they would take half the time and trouble they go through for their marketing, to revamp their websites, many misunderstandings could have been avoided.

For me, my constant concern is always the S&H since I live in Malaysia. Sometimes the S&H can cost more than the items I purchase itself. One of the best experience I had so far is dealing with Daytona Magic. The owner is very flexible and willing to work with me on the S&H. There was once when I bought 25 books from him 6 years ago, and he offered me free shipping.

I've always make it a point to email the vendor on the availability of the items I want before I purchase, eventhough the items are listed as IN STOCK in their websites, mainly because many of these vendors do not take the time to update their websites constantly. Once, I had to wait 2 entire months for my order to arrive, because one of the the items I purchased , which was clearly listed as IN STOCK in his website is out of stock, and the vendor refused to send out the remaining order first, I assume because he didn't want to spend on additional shipping charges. I never order from him again.

Just yesterday I ordered "The Vernon Touch" from Genii Online. The S&H as advertised in the main product page says $40 to other destination other than Europe, but the S&H charges as indicated at the end of the checkout page stated the S&H as $45. I had to email Genii to clear this up in the end. Haven't had the pleasure in hearing from them though because it's the weekends.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Something I've wondered about Hocus-Pocus and their sales: When they have a "Buy an item a regular price...get a 2nd item of equal or less value for 50 percent off" sales, couldn't you buy a non-discounted item at regular price, and then buy another item at half, essentially giving yourself a 25 percent discount on the first item?

Of course, this only works if you want more than one item. I've assumed this was their way of giving customers a discount and still honoring agreements with manufacturers who don't allow their products to be discounted.

Ron
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 16:22, Ron Reid wrote:
Something I've wondered about Hocus-Pocus and their sales: When they have a "Buy an item a regular price...get a 2nd item of equal or less value for 50 percent off" sales, couldn't you buy a non-discounted item at regular price, and then buy another item at half, essentially giving yourself a 25 percent discount on the first item?

Of course, this only works if you want more than one item. I've assumed this was their way of giving customers a discount and still honoring agreements with manufacturers who don't allow their products to be discounted.

Ron

this also only works if the two items are the same price or nearly the same.

in the ad for the item, I think HP clearly tells you if the item is discountable. Further, if the "members price" is the same as the retail, then the item is not discountable. really not that hard.

s
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I had that problem with Hocus-Pocus for a while. I'd always want to take advantage of their big sales but they never offered Paypal.

I emailed them and they said they, at present, accept Paypal through phone in orders.

Problem solved!

Derek Merdinyan
elmagico
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of elmagico
My vote goes to Enigmagia.com free shipping worldwide, free tricks with orders and 10% discount.
solidoak
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of solidoak
I like Hocus-Pocus and Stevens Magic... When I've had questions, both have taken time to give answers, and both have steered me away from effects I would have been disappointed in. With all of today's hype about every trick being a miracle, its nice to see integrity in some of our dealers. Yes, I know there are many other classy dealers, but these are two I've dealt with recently.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 16:53, elmagico wrote:
My vote goes to Enigmagia.com free shipping worldwide, free tricks with orders and 10% discount.

Maybe, but an English web site would help.
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Enigmagia.com has an english part. Only you have to pust the right button at the start!
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
You mean the left button Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What annoys me a bit is the shipping at some places. Say you spend $800 on an effect, that will cost about $30 to ship. This company will have got the effect in for about half that price, and are still making a huge profit, so why they cant pay shipping I don't know, its greed in my opinion, just to maximise profits rather than satisfy customers.

Paypal would be great on all sites. It doesn't take long to set up, and sooo many people would rather pay through paypal and keep their details secure.

I like the sites that either offer Free shipping completely, or that offer Free shipping if you spend so much
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 07:59, jimesw wrote:
You mean the left button Smile

hehe I am corrected Smile
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Go visit http://www.paypalsucks.com

Paypal is handy ... but far from ideal.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 10:25, WayneNZ wrote:
Go visit http://www.paypalsucks.com

Paypal is handy ... but far from ideal.

agreed!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 08:50, Christopher Williams wrote:
What annoys me a bit is the shipping at some places. Say you spend $800 on an effect, that will cost about $30 to ship. This company will have got the effect in for about half that price, and are still making a huge profit, so why they cant pay shipping I don't know, its greed in my opinion, just to maximise profits rather than satisfy customers.

Paypal would be great on all sites. It doesn't take long to set up, and sooo many people would rather pay through paypal and keep their details secure.

I like the sites that either offer Free shipping completely, or that offer Free shipping if you spend so much

Agreed. I've placed lots of orders with Hocus-Pocus in the past and recently I seem to get stung by rather high import taxes by FedEx. It may still not prevent me from ordering from the States in the future, but I'd love to know:

A) How to avoid/minimize the cost of postage (does anyone know how it's calculated?)

B) Alternative reputable US dealers that ship to the UK with cheap/free shipping (and perhaps even money off offers).

Do any other UK magicians out there have any recommendations?
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I prefer sites to calculate packaging and shipping costs when the order is placed.
I do not like Hocus Pocus policy to add the packing and shipping costs after you placed the order. As you have no idea what the actual total cost of your purchase is. This is important to me because I am ordering from outside the US.

Sites like http://www.themagicwarehouse.com calculate the actual shipping cost when you place order which is great. They do this by accumulating the weight of products purchased.

I have no problem paying shipping costs, but I do get annoyed with handling/packaging costs. Being a web store they will not have the overheads associated with retail stores. I have never been charged a packaging/handling costs when purchasing anything from a retail store, nor would I expect it. So why do we put up with handling/packaging costs from web stores ? (The fact the there are a very small number of retail magic stores probably has a lot do it with it !)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 16:30, millarhouse wrote:
I prefer sites to calculate packaging and shipping costs when the order is placed.
I do not like Hocus Pocus policy to add the packing and shipping costs after you placed the order. As you have no idea what the actual total cost of your purchase is. This is important to me because I am ordering from outside the US.

Sites like http://www.themagicwarehouse.com calculate the actual shipping cost when you place order which is great. They do this by accumulating the weight of products purchased.

I have no problem paying shipping costs, but I do get annoyed with handling/packaging costs. Being a web store they will not have the overheads associated with retail stores. I have never been charged a packaging/handling costs when purchasing anything from a retail store, nor would I expect it. So why do we put up with handling/packaging costs from web stores ? (The fact the there are a very small number of retail magic stores probably has a lot do it with it !)

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com is wonderful for just this reason. http://www.MJMmagic.com, http://www.Mymagic.com and Penguin all have free shipping. That make sit even easier.

Charging customers for shipping after the sale is wrong. I'd never shop again with any shop that has "mystery" charges.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Quote:
On 2006-08-04 19:59, WayneNZ wrote:
Mr Humble...???

Can somebody provide a link to this store.
Paul Diamond (Mr. Humble) can be reached at mrhumble@bellsouth.net

Dai Bato
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
119 Posts

Profile of docmagik
I almost got burned bad by a couple of stores that calculated shipping rates that differ from what they quoted. One was an ebaby store, and one was one somebody reccomended to me. In both cases, the shipping ended up being nearly as much as the product!
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
At http://www.wonderwarehouse.com we have one of the simplest systems for US orders in the Industry. Spend $99 or more and your shipping is free. Under $99 we charge a flat rate of $4.50. Depending on the size and weight of your shipment we will ship Priority Mail or DHL Ground. All our shipments are insured.

Some of the so called "free shipping" companies that have been prominently featured in this topic point out in there fine print that this only applies to packages of 5 pounds. From us you can order any large stage prob or even an illusion for our listed price and shipping on the order is free within the USA (given the $99 minimum order).

For our International customers our shopping cart automatically calculates the shipping cost and before you place the final order you know exactly what your total will be including shipping.

Happy new year!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I would make pitches for the 25 percent off sales at Hank Lee, Magic Depot, and Daytona Magic (usually less than 25 percent storewide, but more than 25 percent on their wood livestock production boxes, etc.). To me these are the best values in magic, and all three have great customer service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Dealer Sales Events and Discounts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL