The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck stacks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff in Colorado
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Jeff in Colorado
Hi,

I'm new here, and glad to find a place to dicuss magic with other magicians.

I just received Ortiz's newest book, Scams and Fantasies with Cards. As is always the case with his books, it's filled with a mixture of simple to challenging effects to perform. And the effects are stunning. He truly knows how to build an effect for maximum impact.

Many of the effects in this book require memorized stacks. I'd love to hear opinions on what others use.

I often use faro shuffles when I perform, and I usually have a deck set which is in new deck order, then given 5 out faros. This gives a random looking sequence, which is only 3 shuffles from being back in new deck order. I have that deck memorized sequentially, but I've never memorized it positionally. Before I do that, I want to get opinions on other deck stacks, and why you might prefer one over another. (I don't want to confuse my feeble brain with multiple stack orders, which is why I want ideas before I do this.)

I sometimes present an effect where I have the deck shuffled and distributed among several spectators, then call out cards one by one, for a memory demonstration. It always impresses people that I call the deck without repeating any card. I then give the deck 3 faros and ribbon spread the deck, to show it's in new deck order. It's a nice combination of memory and skill demonstrations.

It's also nice to be able to get to new deck order, since it's easy to get into a Si Stebbins deck from there. (Thanks to Ortiz's "Si Stebbins Secret" in an earlier book of his.)

Anyway, what deck stack do you use, and why do you like it? Thanks!

Jeff Binning
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
the best stack in my opinion is the Aronson Stack by Simon Aronson, it is by far the best one around. But i am sure that when Juan Tamariz published his version this will be right up there with Simon's.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Joyal stack aka the 6 hour deck is great it is a no math deck. this comes in book form. in the book he compair stack to stacks and teaches you how to make your own stack. using his meathod it is easie to learn other stacks so I would learn this one first.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey Jeff and welcome to the Café. If you use your search function (top right of the page) you'll find several discussions on which is the best memorized deck. Heres a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Tamariz's memorized deck is published and is the stack I prefer. I enjoy it because it sets up very easily from new deck order, about as simply as the Si Stebbins Secret, and it has some killer poker deals.
Yakworld.
Anasazi
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
49 Posts

Profile of Anasazi
Which of Ortiz's books has the Si Stebbin's Secret? I have to confess I'm not familiar with it (the "secret" that is, the stack I use all the time).
Jeff in Colorado
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

I should have mentioned it when I sent the first post. It's in "At the Card Table."
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I use the Tamariz stack simply because that's the first one I came across. 90% of memorized deck effects are stack independant, so it really doesn't matter which one you use. Getting into a stack from new deck order isn't really a big deal, I think -- unless, of course, you regularly open a new deck in front of the audience.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Jeff in Colorado
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

I always start my shows with a fresh deck, and give it away when I'm finished. If I'm doing an evening of close-up, in a bar or restaurant, I'll usually use the same deck throughout the night, at least until it starts showing "wear" from handling by spectators. I like using the set up for Si Stebbins, simply because it's so convenient and easy to get it there, whether or not I'm doing it in front of the audience. It only takes about 20 seconds to set, and can be done in hand, rather than spreading the cards out on a table. I actually always preferred and used the "8 kings" stack, but I switched to Si Stebbins when I found the easy set-up.

Jeff
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Quote:
On 2002-12-17 16:01, JimMaloney wrote:
Getting into a stack from new deck order isn't really a big deal, I think -- unless, of course, you regularly open a new deck in front of the audience.

But the reverse is much more interesting! New Pack Order makes for a great closer. (Actually a reason to use Tamariz' Stack.)

Denis
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Agreed, it's a such a strong ending.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
My memorised deck is simply a shuffled deck that I memorised.

The only card that I placed specially was the top card, as I often use this in an opening trick.

I prefer this because it is unique to me and it looks random because it is.

Many stacked decks seem to be set so that poker deals can be done, but in the UK, poker is not a particuarly well-known game.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Where can one find the Tamariz memorized stack?
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
A-1 tapes will have it. Either look for the specific Juan Tamariz one where he performs an effect called 'Four of a Kind' or one of the All Stars tapes where he performs a routine called 'Symphony in Mnemonic Major" or something like that.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Dont miss this web, full with info about memorized decks:

http://www.joyalstack.com/
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
that is a great web site! I have his book and I use his stack. if you are looking ti learn one I urge you to take a good look at this web site and his book
F.D.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I use Martin Joyal's six hour memorized deck as well. I avoided learning a memorized deck for the longest time because I was too lazy to put in the required time and because I know I have a poor short-term memory. I figured if I couldn't even remember someone's 7-digit telephone number, there was no way I'd be able to remember the position of 52 cards. Guess what, I was wrong. It took me less than 6 hours and I've been killing with it since. But a memorized deck is only a tool, and laymen can't experience the tool, they can only experience the result of your use of that tool, the effect. I use it for only two effects, which are possibly the strongest effects I perform of any kind. Take the time to learn a memorized deck and you'll have a powerful weapon.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You'll also find lots of useful opinions on this topic if you check the places where it's previously been discussed in much more detail, such as http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&43.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
You will find a monster effect in Darwin Ortiz new book, Scams & Fantasies.
The effect calls Zen Master and requires a memorized deck.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2002-12-19 18:00, Kjellstrom wrote:
Dont miss this web, full with info about memorized decks:

http://www.joyalstack.com/

And there is a wealth of information if you look through the magician's section of
http://www.simonaronson.com
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Want a list on effects with a memorized decks of cards. I only know a few effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck stacks... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL