The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Slates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
I am playing around with Spirit Slates. In fact, I've bought two of the best types (the Dave Powell and Owen models).

In both cases, the magician has to have a rationale for sticking his finger between the slates momentarily in order to make sure everything has fallen properly into place. Ideally, this wouldn't be necessary but in practice I find that it is.

THe only rationale I've heard of so far to doing this is "Oh, I have to add the chalk for the spirits to write with." I'm not that crazy about that rationale. Does anyone have any better rationale or patter cover that move?

Steve Hoffman
steve@goodnote.com
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I use Hanchaen Dr.Q spirit (locking) slates that I bought many years ago. I can sense when the gimmick is in the correct position to relock. I have never had a problem.

I do slide and tilt the slates a little after I release the gimmick. (With Dr. Q slates, the gimmick is released when locked on the upper slate.)

Also, because I am working in a quiet seance situation, I have replaced my metal gimmick with a sheet of black plastic. It is roughened, of course.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I use a handling that Warlock mentions in his slates book: the gimmick action doesn't happen within the slates sandwich, but during the display process. By the time the writing is revealed, you're totally clean.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1584 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I don't use gimmicked slates. But a series of moves with ungimmicked ones. If you want the source of these moves, PM me. If I don't get back to you right away, be patient. This is my busy time of year.

By the way, i don't answer PM's from people who don't use real names. I want to know with whom I am sharing information.

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I can't seem to find any reasonably priced spirit slates -- they are either cheap toys or incredibly expensive. Can anyone recommend a decent source for 'middle of the road' quality spirit slates ?

Thanks.

Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Steve asked:

"In both cases, the magician has to have a rationale for sticking his finger between the slates momentarily in order to make sure everything has fallen properly into place."

The traditional motivation is to insert a peace of chalk.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
anyone have any thoughts on the new magnetic slates from Bazar di Magic (sp?)....also curious about Dave Powell slates....
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
148 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I use some slates that I made myself after a trip to the hobby store. I use the chalk in between. I've placed pencil dots on the frame to help remind me which end is up. In a stage presentation I have the first message on the now gimmickless slate. While showing that I have an extra finger moment with the other slate before I reveal it's message.

In more intimate settings I'll put the chalk in between and have the sitters place their fingers on the corners of the slate-- keeping it balanced on the chalk. Sometimes there's a little Ouija style movement.

I try not to be in too much of a hurry with my slates.
"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our reality."

- William Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Slates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL