The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Slow Burning Flash paper. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Hello folks!
I am currently working on a candle act, and I don't really have much more to say than, "Where can I get Slow burning flash paper?"
I don't even know if there is such a thing, but when Lance Burton does his candle act, he touches the flame, and throws it into the air. And it falls to the ground. If you don't know what I mean, search "Lance Burton" on google video.
When I try this, my flash paper just dissapears in a very fast flash, while his goes more slowly. He can actually throw it in the air, and it falls to the ground before dissapearing. I have tried match heads, but they seem not to be working well, so if someone can help me with this, it would be muchly appreaciated.
Thank you.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Get the flash paper wet a little with a mister. It will take some trial and error. Also try wrapping more paper in a tighter ball. These ideas combined may work...

DJ
cigam3d
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of cigam3d
Cigarette paper burns slow and dissapears idk how slow you want it though
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I thought my life was complicated but making flash paper burn "slower"?

Well how about you move "faster" so it "appears" to burn "slower"?

You may consider using flash paper where appropriate and allow it to do what it does best. Properly used and placed it's flashy.

I don't mean to dissappoint ya but in the end, they'll recall it, if ever, as a "bright burst of fire!"...
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 20:17, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Hello folks!
I am currently working on a candle act, and I don't really have much more to say than, "Where can I get Slow burning flash paper?"
I don't even know if there is such a thing.

You are in luck as there is such a thing. Obviously the smaller you "screw up" a ball of flash paper the quicker it burns but over here in the UK. It is possible to get hold of slow burning flash paper. This is the type that is usually used for tricks where you ask a spectator to write something on a piece of paper and then after you secretly get hold of the information it is lit in front of them and the "evidence" is burnt away. An example would be the popular centre tear effect.

I use this type of slow burning flash paper a fair bit, an example is where I hold the paper and it burns slowly and then changes into a silk which looks a lot better than a quick flash.

Stuart Brown

Derby (UK)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Cory,

Lance takes the flash bit from the top of the candle (we've had tons of arguments here but that's what I see), lights it on same candle, it bursts, and he produces the next candle.

It's that fast and he's not using any "slow burning" flash paper. That's it.

Maybe he's that good?

Yes.

You don't need "slow burning flash paper" as much as you need practice.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes, I know. I do have a lot of practice to work on. My candle act has been in the works for a few weeks now. (Not very long) But, I just find that for the thing I am going to do, a slower burn would work best. I use a big flash to great effect sometimes. I will no doubt be using it during the act. But, for ONE PHASE of the routine, I need a slower burn. Not necissarily because I NEED it, I could do it with a faster flash. But I think it would look prettier with a slower flash. At least for this phase. For the rest, I will be using normal flash paper.

Does flash cotton go any slower?

Thanks everyone!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Like Stuart mentioned, roll flash paper tighter. Depending on the dryness/wetness- flash cotton is fast.
You could also use a long strip or flash string.
POOF!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is slow burning flash paper, or you can just buy regular flash paper and store it for a year or so and it will burn slower. I do not think they intentionally make it slow burning, but usually the demo pads they stick in with a shipment is slower, I guess they would be called 'seconds'.

Now we are only talking milli-seconds, not minutes. As there is only one flash paper manufacturer, I guess you would get this product from them.

Flash cotton is even faster then flash paper.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I used to by a product called super flash, it was faster than regular flash paper.
POOF!
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Try the misting idea it worked for me.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
So just spray normal flash paper with water, and it will burn slower?
Thanks, I will give it a try.
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
Also try wrapping more paper in a tighter ball. These ideas combined may work...

That is only going to speed up the combustion.

Try and wash some flash paper in bowl of water for a few minutes and let it dry out for a day. It will burn a little slower.

I found this out some time ago while experimenting with ways to dye flash paper. For those wondering how it turned out, I got decent colours with food colouring. But the paper didn't hold the colour well. And the paper turned somewhat transparent, and burned much slower.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
Like Stuart mentioned, roll flash paper tighter.

I'm just curious if any of you guys are actually trying this before recommending it???

I roll or twist my flash paper up into tight balls for quicker, flashier flashes.

You are packing all this combustible material together close to each-other. The paper itself provides the fuel and oxygen. So it isn't like trying to ignite rolled up newspaper.

That is why it combusts so rapidly. So packing it tighter, allows more surface area to ignite in the same time frame.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If you roll it into a wad it will burn fast if it has gaps, it's got to be very tight.
POOF!
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2006-08-12 17:07, kregg wrote:
If you roll it into a wad it will burn fast if it has gaps, it's got to be very tight.

Quote:
Wayno wrote:
I roll or twist my flash paper up into tight balls for quicker, flashier flashes.

I roll them up as tight as can be. "Gaps" would generally decrease the burn rate.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
That makes sence. The tighter they are, the faster they burn.
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Good afternoon fellow Magi,

You also see Rocco use slow burning paper as well.

Does he just use old or misted flash paper?
Thanks
D
Derek Johnston
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lance Burton and Rocco have not revealed their methods to anyone to my knowledge. Lance has not revealed anything he has worked out or invented for his act.
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Dan Birch would be a good source for this. He's a very friendly man who always likes to help out.

http://www.danbirch.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Slow Burning Flash paper. (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL