We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Troubled mind and self doubt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
492 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Another day at the Promenade ended with me leaving before I got totally frustrated. I've been at this a long time and dealt with a lot of different situations, but the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is as tough a place to work as I have ever experienced. The biggest problem I encountered was my mic cutting in and out today and finally crapping out. My first show was barely underway before the break dancing troupe cranked it up 40 feet away from me. On the other side a musician. I did the best I could for meager rewards.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to produce, but I've been coming up short on many levels. I want so desperately to share what I have inside of me and entertain and make people happy. It's difficult to tell If I'm getting through to these people when I see so many blank stares and apathetic audiences. And what really gets me, is when a father of two kids gives them each a dime to throw in my hat. I'm pretty sure that the bums in this town are making better money than me at this point. With so much competition, the noise factor, the heat and the world we live in; I feel like I need to go back and re-evaluate my entire approach.

On a lighter note, the weather has been gorgeous! Polly takes very good care of me and has been cooking some GREAT meals. I love being here in LA and I know If I work hard I can create a market for my many talents as an entertainer and as an entrepreneur. The time is right to plan my work and work my plan. Now I guess I just need a plan. I'll work on that.

If you feel like it check out my new blog Reverie. Enjoy!
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
Well Tom,

I have watched you at work (on your clip via a link here at the Café), and I must say you are very entertaining. If only I could I would tip your hat (but that won't work with me here in the UK). Oh well if I ever make it across the pond maybe I will have the pleasure of meeting you. Keep up the good work!!

Chris
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-08-07 04:00, Tom Frank wrote:

It's difficult to tell If I'm getting through to these people when I see so many blank stares and apathetic audiences.

It's LA man, that's what people look like down there. I know it's difficult coming from low key Seattle where you were pretty much Cock O' the Walk to Low Man on the Totem Pole in Frenetic Los Angeles. I really can't see how one could hold ones own against Break Dancers and amplified musicians so perhaps one should try and find a venue better suited to ones needs. LA is a big place and as they say Location, Location, Location.

Needless to say get your sound system working, turn it up a notch and get back out there.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tom,
Welcome to my "home pitch." That's what I meant when I said to you that I would be curious what you thought about the punters there. Hope to catch up with you soon.

One thing you will see a few guys doing and I used to do it is collect before your final trick. It boosted my hat a lot. I would collect before my cups routine. If they didn't give enough, I would put the cups away. I would then give the people who did give, a great set of close up magic while I chased the cheapskates away in hopes of an interested audience. I would also then collect again at the end by the way. You'd usually get a little more at the end too.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tom,
Eric Evan's book has a chapter all about how he dealt with the promenade working even without an amp or a table. It was an interesting stradegy.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chris Caphart, when he worked the Castle told me he made more money that he did working on the street than he did at the Castle. He worked on Hollywood Blvd. just west of Highland on the uphill side. Tons of tourists, huge crowds.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
3rd street is a pretty hard place to perform. The upside is that people expect performers, the downside as you experienced is....the performers.

I agree with Pete about Hollywood Blvd near Hollywood and Highland. If you still want to perform on 3rd street I would wait until the weekends
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
492 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Good News gang! I rocked the Promenade from 6PM till 10:30 tonight!

About time.

TF
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Glad to hear that!!!
...and that lady on your blog stole my act.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Tom Frank the man with 2 first names is one of my magic heros. If I ever get the chance I'm going to the Promenade just to watch him work!!!!

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Right, Tom, those are the best hours there.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Way to go Tom. I know how you feel. I felt the same way after my first busking experience this past weekend. I had fun doing it, but I felt let down that even though I tried so hard and did what I learned and did my research and homework... that it still could not change the fact that people just did not want to tip. However, I am going back there to work the festrival for 2 days this weekend and I am determined to try new things and to learn and hopefully do better each time out.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Tom-

Great to see your second set worked well!!

As mentioned above-Location location is the key in any city anywhere in the world!!

Go where the crowds are! Remember you are really good at what you do so keep this in mind-as we all know you can do the same act for 10 audiences & get 10 different reactions!

Sounds like your on top of things now!!

Best of luck my friend!!

-Brent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Troubled mind and self doubt (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL