The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making DF Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Can anyone recommend a good way to make DF cards? I want to create DFed ESP cards, and I'm hoping someone can suggest a good glue to use.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I use Elmer's Rubber Cement. Walmart sells it fairly cheap. Works great! If you can split cards, you can make some excellent gaffs. That way the thickness is the same as an ordinary card. If thickness is not a concern, just glue them back to back.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I disagree with rubber cement as it is too flexible. Go to a photo store and buy some dry mount tissue. Cut it to the size of the cards and put it between them, then use a hot iron to seal them together.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Pete's right.
And if you want to do it absolutely top drawer, you need Todd Lassen's Card Gaffing Genii:

http://www.toddlassen.com/coins/lrg/card_gaft.jpg
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Antony Gerard sells Tack Pads with his Card A-Tack routine that work really well for making DF cards like you want. He also has several routines using them like that. They will stay together until you want to take them apart (if you had wanted to do that for some reason).
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Will Eefting
View Profile
New user
Southwest Michigan
93 Posts

Profile of Will Eefting
Darnit Tom, you took my post Smile

Yeah, tack pads work wonders.
A Trick? Well yes there are quite a few "tricks" I can do, but alas there are women and children present. Find me later.
cigam3d
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of cigam3d
I just use a glue stick after I split them, and it works fine for me. It lasts about the length of 3 decks, then I just make a new one. That's just what I do.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
How do you split them?
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I agree with Pete and Silverking. Get the card gaff genii by Lassen and it will make all your cards look 1st class.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-08-08 22:45, JohnCressman wrote:
How do you split them?

For that you get your hands on Marty Martini's "The Art of Splitting Cards" DVD, pretty much the only one of its kind out there.
PIPmagician
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of PIPmagician
Quote:
On 2006-08-08 22:45, JohnCressman wrote:
How do you split them?

Practice with some cards you don't mind ruining. Tap the corner of the card onto a table top until the corner of the card edge begins to seperate into its 3 layers. When this happends, begin to peel the side/face you don't want to keep away from the rest of the card (that is, peel one of the three layers off). Once you get this peeled off, do the same for the next card. So you end up with your two cards you want to glue together. You can remove any excess paper that didn't peel off by sticking a piece of good quality packing tape to the card, press on firmly and pulling it off until your basically at the middle of the card. Glue them together with your glue of choice. I use a glue stick, it works great. Then I run/roll a pen across the card after applying glue to make sure there is good contact between the cards. Place in a book until it's dry. If it comes out slightly warped I found that if you keep it in a deck until you use it that it will stay flat until needed. If it really warped, start over and try again. Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Here's another vote for Marty Grams' "Art of Card Splitting" DVD. I recommend supplementing this with his "Lickety Split" notes. Together, they provided all I (think I) needed to know. You'll likely find multiple schools of thought regarding his method (dry split versus wet split, rubber cement versus dry mount versus stick tack, etc...) but it works well for my purposes.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
In Marty's DVD "The Art of Card Splitting" he reccomends using rubber cement, and actually reccomends which rubber cement to buy that works best. I have never tried any other method, and have had great results with using rubber cement.

With that said, I will definetly try Pete's suggestion and buy some dry mount tissue. Im always looking to improve any methods Im currently using.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Quote:
On 2006-08-08 20:33, TomKMagic wrote:
Antony Gerard sells Tack Pads with his Card A-Tack routine that work really well for making DF cards like you want. He also has several routines using them like that. They will stay together until you want to take them apart (if you had wanted to do that for some reason).

Sorry, what is a Tack Pad? Where can I get it, as I live in Germany?

Thanks,
Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Will Eefting
View Profile
New user
Southwest Michigan
93 Posts

Profile of Will Eefting
That MIGHT cause a problem, I'm not sure.

http://www.gerardenterprises.com

Perhaps this website will have the information you seek. Otherwise, he's on his board, too, so you could probably shoot him a Private Message or something.

Sorry I can't be more help.
A Trick? Well yes there are quite a few "tricks" I can do, but alas there are women and children present. Find me later.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On 2006-08-09 01:43, silverking wrote:
For that you get your hands on Marty Martini's "The Art of Splitting Cards" DVD, pretty much the only one of its kind out there.

I believe Don England also has a great card gaffing video out. I contains much of the info that Marty's has, but he does offer some of his trademark tips and tricks for card splitting and gaffs.

Snidini
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Snidini:

Do you have a title or reference for the Don England video? I am not having much lucky in tracking it down.

Thanks!

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Hmmm. I have tried dry-mount tissue, but I found that when I used that the card felt ever so much thicker, but more dramatically... it became sort of soft and there was no "FAP!" in it. Smile

I have experimented a little with glues/cements found here in Norway, but with no luck so far. The glue stick left little lumps of glue, which made the card a bit lumpy. And the adhesive cement especially for paper halfway soaked through and made the cards look very dirty. I have also tried a cement for splicing film, but that was completely wrong.

You guys have inspired me to try again, and the quest continues to a hobby store as soon as I'll have the time. Probably no Elmo's sold here, though.
Also, my Exacto knife has disappeared again for the 9 billionth time. All I have here now are inexactos. Also, I wish I hadn't sold my nice heated photo dry-mount press. I'm sure that would have worked well. I wonder if an ordinary household clothing iron could work? I haven't actually ever used one of those things, but they make things flat, don't they?
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I found that instead of tapping the corner to spit the layers, I just take a pair of tweezers and bend a bit of the corner back and forth. Then, they separate pretty easily.

I got cards I peeled last night in a card press/clamp as I type, heh. Was going to glue them up later tonight.

Wouldn't the mount paper effect the thickness of the gaffed card? I am making DFs. I just peeled the backs off one set of cards, and the faces off of another set.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Or I found that if it is the face or back that you need, it is easier to get it off cleanly if you peel off the back first. Say I need the face, and then peel the face from just the middle section, rather than peeling the face from the middle section as well at the back.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making DF Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL