We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I received this book test a couple of days ago and have had a chance to perform it twice already. Fantastic!

My presentation was different than the one included with the instructions, but don't get me wrong, the instructions are clear and creative! I just approached it instinctively.

The seriousness and quality of this work has turned me into a true customer and I've already ordered the Dracula Book Test. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Looking forward to the future.

I advise fellow mentalists to take a look: http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/public/sherlock.html
drmagic
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of drmagic
This is a c/p from the website above:

"A BIG thank you goes out to Richard Osterlind for his on-going support and invaluable advice."

Does Richard support this book?
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I have the Sherlock book here in my mitts ... the second to last page has this centered on it:

With special thanks to
Richard Osterlind
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
The Sherlock Holmes book test is one I suggested to James and is based on a very standard method, but very powerful. It is meant to be used in conjunction with other book tests.

Richard
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Here's how it works:

The performer explains how this Victorian age CSI expert, Sherlock Holmes, would use his five senses to discover clues and deduce facts that would ultimately lead him to solve crimes that stumped the famous Scotland Yard and stopped them dead in their tracks.

This book is handed out for an audience member to examine. This person is chosen at random. It can be anyone!

This person is then asked to look through the book and tell the audience how many pages there are. With nearly 300 pages to choose from, this participant is asked to choose one at random and without looking. It is a free choice. The number is then revealed to the audience.

Another person is then freely chosen from the audience and asked to pick up any other book sitting on a table. This second person is instructed to turn to the page number previously chosen at random and to begin reading the page in their mind as if they were projecting it to you.

You reveal the first word as they are getting through the first paragraph. You then begin to reveal the contents of the whole first paragraph. The participant is instructed to continue reading and you are able to piece things together just like Sherlock Holmes but even better. You are able to tell the participant about the whole page! You "see" what they are reading.

It's really nice. I like it.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
You guys should look at HOMICIDE. No page numbers to call out, free choice of victim and.. you describe a murder scene, victim, method, weapon used, the killer etc., etc.

If you like the "C.S.I." scenario!

And there's a British version too!

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Homicide trilogy is one of the greatest innovations in book tests - so sadly, I fear - it will get ripped off too one day (on the bright side, that means you are confirmed as a genius for the Hall of Fame).... I'm still ranting and raving over all the bizarrist mentalism you can do with them...

I'm still waiting to see what the scoop is on this Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test - as I love Sherlock Holmesian things
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
(I think I'm going Jim/Jack mindset)
Just for a change of mood on this thread - didn't Sherlock Holmes use Deduction as his preferred method over induction? Or is that a humourous joke? Or just to get that interesting acronym? SHDT I guess is not as interesting - but honestly, I really think the current one is fun for a second but I'd hate my work to be associated with such a moninker ?

By the way, does the patter have a pseudo-scientific explanation for how you get the words etc? i.e. to be true to the way Sherlock Holmes always does his reveal - freaks out good ol' Watson and whomever, and then explains in detail his amazing DEductive powers - which is even more amazing.... it sounds like it does according to Alexandre... but just checking!

Is there a Watson angle to this as well? (i.e. ST**GE hee hee)

I'll be sticking to the Homicide series in the meantime - although this thread does make me think about creating more physical evidence props
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Last night I confirmed with Ted the problem he had mentioned to me on July 17, 2006.
Just a little while ago I was informed of the following:

There was a discussion between Ted and James which resulted in a misunderstanding where Ted thought that one of his principles was going to be used. The principle was not incorporated into the Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test. Ted recognizes this now.

I've asked Ted for a statement that I can post here, but rather than wait and leave what has turned out to be an unjust and erronious group of posts, instigated by me, to stand and spread further information, I am posting this now and will endeaver to remove the offensive material posted.

I was wrong in only taking one party's word as sometimes they can be mistaken, especially when the idea of wrong-doing comes from a heated exchange.

I apologize to all of you members of the Café for my actions, and to Richard Osterlind and James Clark.

In the future, I will heed Mentathought's advice from this and another forum, to get both sides of the story before being drawn in and making conclusions.

Tony Iacoviello
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
Tony,

I sincerely respect you for having made that post correcting things. Thanks for being a person of intergrity.

Stan
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
- to be true to the Sherlockian, Holmes always does his reveal

After revealing his method to the red-headed man, the reply was "oh I thought for a moment you'd actually done something clever."

"omne ignotum pro magnifico" was Holmes' reply.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Yes, Tony. And let me add... a RARE person of integrity.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hehheh - don't you just love it Smile? Thanks Philosophry!

Of course, one could create a patter about Doyle's obsession with psychics - and although Sherlock was a skeptic his creator wasn't - and thus you have the following effect of how Doyle would have wanted to outdo Sherlock Smile

Tony is one of the good guys - he has a pattern of doing good
tcherry
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of tcherry
Hello all. I'm Troy, one of the developers of The Dracula Book Test and The Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test. First I'd like to offer my apologies, as I'm not able to keep up on all the posts that go on here regarding our products or our company as a whole. It appears that some posts are an expression of opinion, and while I appreciate free expression in this country, I don't always believe it's wise or productive to respond. Other posts may sincerely be an expression of confusion or a question, and to that I'd urge you to contact us (Black's Magic Group) directly at any time for clarification. Always better to get it straight from the source (and I may add, if there are two parties involved that includes two sources not just one).

Second, I'd like to express my gratitude for those who take the time to get to know us on a personal level and find out what kind of people we really are. I try not to take things personally, but occasionally it's a bit discouraging when assumptions are made and then spread publicly. I'm grateful that Richard spoke up and helped clarify some of the confusion. To shadow what Tony said in one of his posts, "Richard is not the kind of person who would endorse theft of another's work," and to that I agree. To clarify, permission wasn't "denied" to us by Mr. Karmilovich because permission was never asked of Mr. Karmilovich to produce our own book test. Sherlock has nothing to do with him or his book, and neither were consulted. We haven't even seen a copy of MOAB or its instructions, let alone possess them. The development of this project spawned out of a creative conversation with Richard, not Mr. Karmilovich. That being said, I can't even say for sure how specifically Sherlock is somehow tied to MOAB, but I think we have demonstrated our eagerness to give credit to the true contributors to our ideas and products.

I'll try to keep an eye out on this post for a bit to see if it's helpful or beneficial to field more questions or respond to statements. Mr. Clark is now at training for a month and will shortly be deployed to Iraq so I will likely become more of an active voice for our company. I would like to say briefly, a thank you to Alexandre for your support and endorsement of our product, I'm grateful you've been satisfied with it and with our service; you're the kind of customer people love to have. To all else, I appreciate the opportunity to address you, I hope you find my comments humble and helpful.
WOW...It appears that while I was posting my response, Tony has withdrawn several of his comments, so if anything in my earlier post no longer applies, please disregard. I want to shadow what Stan posted to Tony by saying that I truly respect you for your diligence in seeking out the truth and to make right anything that was said in error. I'm sure we can all admit to speaking from assumptions or hearsay at one time or another and it takes a lot of integrity to eat words. Thanks for your humble apology, it is well accepted, appreciated, and the incident forgotten.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Tony Eye,

This shows your integrity, that you are a man of principle and that you are a big man in your heart. You have my admiration!

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Magician's and Mentalist's and any hybrid's of the two group's,must be some of the most impulsive faction's on the planet.

I hope in the future,before any unfounded comment's are presented,a deep breath can be taken..before posting.

I have been guilty of this myself in the past,but 'I am learning' to hold my tongue until I have unequivocable information,and even then,present it in a way,so it does not have to be retracted.

Tony:You are a stand up guy,to correct thing's forthrightly.

Rich
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Tony, I want to have your children. O.K., there I said it. Whew, that felt good.

Now let's get back on the subject. We were talking about my Homicide book right?

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2006-08-09 23:55, Roth wrote:
Tony, I want to have your children. O.K., there I said it. Whew, that felt good.

Now let's get back on the subject. We were talking about my Homicide book right?

Rick

Hey Rick! Is that any way for an OUTLAW to talk? Take this ...Bang!Bang!Bang! Bang!Bang! Smile

No this was not about your Homicide Book!

It was about a Sherlock Holme's Book!

However,I wish it was about Manhattenville,which I am still finessing and developing before adding it to my work. Smile

Just please ..no more girly-man talk Smile.

You are supposed to set an example to all Outlaw's.

Rich
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
That was the whiskey talkin.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I can use some of that whiskey right about now, but don't get any ideas Roth!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL