We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ning
View Profile
New user
From Sunny Singapore!
89 Posts

Profile of ning
Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test sounds good! Kudos to the guys who first came up with Dracula and now this Smile Anyone performed with it yet? Full reviews please!!!

Thanks much Smile
Ning: CSI/ Sherlock Holmes nut
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2149 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I am looking forward to adding both of these to my shelf of regular books, incase someone comes over and wants to see a trick Smile
Pay it forward
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2228 Posts

Profile of todsky
Something that hasn't been asked yet about the Sherlock Holmes book test: how examinable is it?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Very. I have them look through it pretty good.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
But prep them first Smile

It helps
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Todsky:

I've let people hold on to the book, thumb through it, et cetra before going into the routine. Thus far never had a problem whatsoever. We took care to lay it out so that the gaff isn't an issue until they are directed to it. Even then, done right, it never becomes an issue and soon Sherlock doesn't even matter.

James
1-877-877-7878
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Hmm, I've had the Dracula Book Test for a long time now and I love it.

I am only now bothering to actually look into THE S.H.I.T. I really am kind of surprised I didn't do so earlier. So I understand that it is used to force a page number? Are they able to stop anywhere in the book, as in close to the beginning or end without the anything looking out of place?

Thanks.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Intuition
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Intuition
I don't understand the 'Sherlock Inductive Test'. From what I read, the sherlock book is handed out to the first person who thinks of a number. Then that number is used by the second person to find the contents of a completely different book. Will somone help reiterate the effect?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, more or less.

Basically it is used in a two book book test. The ******** is opened by someone to a random page and they just note the page number.

A second book (which I understand can be any book you want to use and is not gimmicked or gaffed in any way) is opened to the same page as The ******** and then the contents of the page are divined by the magi/mentalist.

In other words, they just use The ******** to get an apparently random page number and then turn to that page in any other book and that is the page used in the test.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Intuition
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Intuition
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 00:14, gdw wrote:
Yes, more or less.

Basically it is used in a two book book test. The ******** is opened by someone to a random page and they just note the page number.

A second book (which I understand can be any book you want to use and is not gimmicked or gaffed in any way) is opened to the same page as The ******** and then the contents of the page are divined by the magi/mentalist.

In other words, they just use The ******** to get an apparently random page number and then turn to that page in any other book and that is the page used in the test.

Why does a mentalist have to introduce a book solely for the benefit of finding a number. It sounds to gimmicked and unnatural in my opinion.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11549 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
Why does a mentalist have to introduce a book solely for the benefit of finding a number. It sounds to gimmicked and unnatural in my opinion.

If you are a mentalist and you have performed using books you know that it isn't a problem.

If all you have are books then it makes sense to flip through, have someone call stop, then use that "random" page. As long as you do it nonchalantly.

Make it look like it wasn't planned that way.

Later, you can hand them a book and have THEM pick any page.

Good luck on your journey,

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1478 Posts

Profile of Piers
Any more up to date thoughts on this ?

Forgive my confusion, but the words revealed are from the random book, not the Sherlock Holmes book ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Correct... in the other book.

I think what is causing some confusion here is that this is more of a tool for book tests, rather than a single book test effect using the text.

I use it in a multi-phase book test and its perfect for what I need.

This is some good S.H.I.T !
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1478 Posts

Profile of Piers
Thank You.

( Does anyone know if any UK dealers are selling this, or do I go U.S direct ? )

Piers. UK
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
charris
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of charris
I was just wondering if anyone uses this as a prediction effect rather than as a mind-reading. I have a whole prediction routine planned. The prediction is kept in a sealed envelope from the beginning. Part of my prediction will reveal what page number was chosen and another part will include what word from that page they chose from the other book (not the Sherlock book). There are other items included in my prediction as well. Anyways, has anyone else done this?

Thanks,
Craig
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I haven't done it exactly that way, although it would definitely work. I use it in conjunction with several other books - I first used it with the Dracula Book Test at a demo for my show. Needless to say the lady was very, very amazed when I described to her the entire paragraph she was reading. I also got the booking.

I love these book tests! I also have the Houdini book test.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
To give the spectator a false sense that he/she is in control, I provide 4 books. An ungaffed Da Vinci Code, an ungaffed Harry Potter and the Sherlock Holmes and Dracula books.

I usually introduce the books as two of my favorite classics and two of my favorite modern classics. If the spectator chooses one of the ungaffed books, I simply get a second volunteer to take the Sherlock Holmes book and go into a deductive reasoning story. If they go for the Dracula Book; I go into the story itself and explain how Dracula had a psychic connection with Lucy and they could read each other’s thoughts.

The reactions I get are phenomenal and I cannot say enough about the Sherlock Holmes and Dracula Books. I love how the simplest of tricks can become truly powerful entertainment when handled well.
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
So this basically works like the Hoy book test - except the spectator can flip through the book and stop wherever they want?

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 13:16, DerZauberer wrote:
To give the spectator a false sense that he/she is in control, I provide 4 books. An ungaffed Da Vinci Code, an ungaffed Harry Potter and the Sherlock Holmes and Dracula books.
I usually introduce the books as two of my favorite classics and two of my favorite modern classics. If the spectator chooses one of the ungaffed books, I simply get a second volunteer to take the Sherlock Holmes book and go into a deductive reasoning story. If they go for the Dracula Book; I go into the story itself and explain how Dracula had a psychic connection with Lucy and they could read each other’s thoughts.

Thank you Zauberer. It would be nice if we could have more posts like yours giving us some ideas how to use props. Sometimes we do not like props we bought because we lack a good presentation idea or a solution to a perceived drawback of the prop. Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 13:16, DerZauberer wrote:

The reactions I get are phenomenal and I cannot say enough about the Sherlock Holmes and Dracula Books. I love how the simplest of tricks can become truly powerful entertainment when handled well.

Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL