We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
True, thank you,! I was using that as an example, just wondering if it looked like the genuine article was my concern! I have the flashback books and am not a massive fan of their look.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18033 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I agree with you - not many book tests actually look like genuine books... joshua quinn's did the best job of all in my opinion...
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
The front cover is as it appears on most magic retailers websites. I can take a photo of the back of the book for you tomorrow when I'm at my proper computer. A glance at it now shows that things look as they should: Barcoo, ISBN, publisher's logo and RRP shown in USD, CAD & GBP. The fonts on the back cover are a little odd, but not so extreme as to draw attention. It looks suitably bookish.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
That would be great thank you! I think that's why I've always steered away from gimmicked books, also whenever I do a test it's normally grabbing one nearby

A thought for you guys - why use a book? I've always thought it odd that if you are getting a word, why not just have them think of a word, why get a spectator to select one? My presentation is thus:

Have then grab a book, it can be from a library or ideally one they are reading.

'Ive always been a fan of books, my parents were in publishing for years and I've always loved the power of the written word. If I was to ask which version of a story you prefer, would you say the film or the book?'

Generally they reply the book

'Every time I've asked that, people say the book. I think it's because it is much more personal to the reader. You experience everything, you visualise it your own way. It's almost as if you're inside the book, observing what is happening but in your own imagination.

We're going to try something with words. Word number one is subconscious, word number two is a conscious one, well come back to that shortly.'

I then have then select a word from their book. I generally use osterlind's poor man's book test but don't find out the word yet

'Are you happy that's a free choice!?' I have them wrote the word down, even though I will find out what it is later

'Word number two is a conscious choice, and is different as it shows me how you think and visualise images. Here, look at the front cover of the book. I don't know if you've read, but I want you to look at the image, put your hand on the book and close your eyes. What I want you to do is slowly imagine you're going into a that scene. Picture you are there. Imagine the scene playing out in front of you. Now look around. Focus on one image that jumps out at you. Change your mind if you wish. Are you happy with your choice?'

I then have them open their eyes, and write the object they are thinking of. I have them write this down on the same card and screw it up.

I then reveal the second word first, as this is apparently 'easier', as I can apparently picture how they are thinking. You can also give insightful descriptions of their thought patterns as you know the start point (the picture on the front of the book) and the end result from a p**k

They will react, and you can then conclude the handling from the poor mans book test. This also nicely gives time misdirection from the selection of this word. Emphasise that this is tougher as this is a random choice, and then get the word. I use banachek's subtelties to reveal letters first

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, I hope it makes the books relevant and gives a reason for using a book, adds layers of deception and also builds it into a more involved and involving act that simply selecting a revealing a word.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes Inductive Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL