The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking Ropes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2320 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I am going to be purchasing a set of Linking Ropes soon. Smile I was wondering who else uses them? What is your opinion?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have a little routine using the linking ropes. My ropes are the original E. G. Moore’s version from the 1960’s. The rope used then was considerable thicker than many of the versions being sold today.

My routine does a linking of two loops using ungimmicked ropes. I hand it out and have them examined and tugged on. I have a spectator untie one loop to disengage the two. Then I have her/him retie it and go into a fairly standard (but short) linking and unlinking routine ending with a chain of three.

I have always liked the linking ropes. Packs flat and can be as magical as the linking rings.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2320 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Harry,
Thanks for your input on the subject. Seeing linking ropes for the first time made me feel like a kid again. Smile Its just so smooth and amazing when done properly. Smile
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I've used them in a 'Do as I Do' routine with kids and use the principle "look don't see" as the kids never actually link their ropes, but I think they have linked and unlinked the ropes as I have.

just an idea,

j.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tenyo's Linking Ropes by Hungarian magician Peter Gloviczky is the best, no question. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
They are fun, quiet, and allow you to move into other rope bits easily.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Duane Laflin has a very inexpensive video on linking ropes. He has a very good handling of the linking ropes. I think it is about $10 USD. Check our his web site. http://www.laflinmagic.com.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Let me second the recommendation of the Duane Laflin video on handling the Linking Ropes.

As in all cases you should come up with your own routine and unique way of presenting the effect, not just copy the rather basic routine that Laflin shows on the tape, but the value of the tape is that he very clearly demonstrates the way to make the linking and unlinking moves look convincing.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I find them a great deal of fun. I actually move to the linking ropes after the Professor's Nightmare (drop into a basket with the middle end hanging out). Stop for a sip of water, and to wipe the brow, pick up that one with the other linking ropes, and keep going. My last tale was a twist on the fairytale Rapunzel, with the prince getting the magic rope bits for the elves to help him get into the tower, due to Rapunzel going punk...
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
The linking ropes can be used as a substitute for the linking rings and are probably more effect than the linking rings, when used in close-up.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
974 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I just bought this trick last night. I've been playing around with it for a while today. What do most of you get out of this time wise? The guy who sold it to me took about a minute from start to finish with beginning tying the ropes to the finish with unlinking all of the ropes. It blew me away actually, I really liked it.

What types of ways do you use the ropes and if you care to, what kinds of patter lines or story lines do you use with them? If you care to share, thanks so much. I really do appreciate it.

I'm mainly looking to use them for kids ranging in ages from 3 to 11.
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I can get about three minutes from this trick.

In summary, I start with a spectator helper tying one length in a loop, and me tying another in a loop (to show how it’s done). Both loops are ungimmicked ropes (the very old ring on knotted string bit). I then link these two ropes and hand them to the spectator to unlink. Ultimately I have him untie one (it’s the only way to unlink it!).

The untied rope is taken back and given to yet a second spectator to tie in a loop, as I tie the third length into a loop. I link first one then do a traveling loop to link the third loop into a chain of three. They all come unlinked as the finale.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I use the linking ropes in my kids show, and leave my rings at home. I think the linking ropes are a great basis for a larger routine. Add in a breakaway wand, and you'll have an entertaining routine.

Make sure to get the good quality linking ropes as the Indian version uses cheap rope.

Later,
Ed
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16947 Posts

Profile of joseph
Dan Harlan has a bonus at the end of one of his videos combining the Linking Ropes and the Linking Rings! This is great thinking, and a beautiful routine. Check it out. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Which video is this? I have most of his but I don't remember seeing this. Is it his Pack Small Play Big series?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16947 Posts

Profile of joseph
No, I think it is on his A-1 rubberband video. I will double check. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Cool, let me know and if so I might purchase it.

Just a side note— A1 Multimedia was bought out by MY Magic, correct? Meir Yedid.
Thanks,
Ed
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1841 Posts

Profile of Platt
My parents were just in China and bought me a set of linking ropes in a mall. I had never seen this type of gimmick before. You can actually hand the ropes out to be tied before and untied after. In the past I've seen linking ropes that look more like the gimmick in linking rings. Is the idea of using a M****T new? Or is that the original method and I'm just not remembering it right?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That is E.G. Moore's original method.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Edwin Hooper of Supreme Magic in England had a different method for doing the Linking Ropes. Marketed under the name "King-King Rope Rings". It's in Edwin's book "Edwin's Magic : Volume 2 ".

I've never tried combining the two methods, but I'm sure that someone at sometime has combined the Edwin Hooper gimmick with the E.J. Moore gimmick to use both to link the rope rings during a routine .

I remember after purchasing the Edwin/Supreme version of Linking Ropes thinking "this will never fool anyone" and being very surprised to find that it did in fact fool everyone who saw it. The gaff seems too obvious and simple if you are "in the know", but it works on a lay audience.

The important thing with both versions, E.J. Moore's and Edwin's, is to do the linking move on the off-beat, so that the rope rings are linked before anyone realizes it. Then the reveal that the ropes are linked can be sold with the best acting and pantomime that one can muster.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking Ropes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL