The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn and teller exposure on America's got talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
For anyone that saw this what are your thoughts?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
What they did is not exposure. Who in their right mind actually got fooled by what they did? I don't think it is a routine that is designed to fool. Now exposure would have been if they performed Origami and then told the workings of it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
They just confirmed what I was thinking for me. I agree. Any thoughts on what we're supposed to think? Smile
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
This was a slightly updated version of one of their old routines from a few years back. They didn't expose anything that a competent magi would be doing. Bottom line: This is their shtick. It is what they have always done. No harm, and certainly, no foul.

That said, much more magic is exposed on a daily basis by lousy magicians, would-be Houdini's, and even people posting on various threads at this very Forum, than you can possibly begin to imagine.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Just wondering. The group of non magicians I watched it with said" Oh that is how it is done. Cool! Just wondering everyones thoughts.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
What was worse then the exposure (as they have done this one for years) was there performance of it. It was lack lustre compared to the way they used to perform it. Will it effect anyone else’s performance? Probably not so it can only help the magic community.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
*** I must have missed that. What did they do? Anywhere I can view it online?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
They did their old "Blast off/Trap Door" effect.

It is an audience pleaser and no harm was done.

Penn and teller are only here to help Smile
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Oh I love that whole routine. Wish I could have seen it.

See you space cowboy...
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
I have an HTDV rip of the performance. I will try and compress it to a reasonable size and share it later today.
Daniel M. Carrico
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Why is Penn and Teller's exposure not really exposure? Is it because they make it more interesting than the Masked Magician, or because everyone realizes they are going to do it, regardless of what folks think? Whenever there is an exposure discussion on this or other boards, someone always brings up the comment "No one ever uses that today, anyway". Whether it is this illusion or Cups and Balls, it is exposure, plain and simple, no matter how you slice it.

Let's hold everyone to the same standard...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Why? Magic is about entertaining your crowd. No one really owns the rights to the standard cups and balls routine, or the "Blast Off" routine mentioned above, so no laws are being broken. The only set of rules really being broken is the age-old "Magician's code". However, we all know that Penn & Teller do not subscribe to codes and traditions, and it's not much of a secret anyway. The real art is in the performance and presentation, and P&T are better in this regard than just about anyone out there. Feel free to hold P&T to the same standard; but in the end, they don't care about any standards, and will probably go out of their way just to NOT abide by any standard that you, or anyone else, happen to set for them.
Daniel M. Carrico
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
"Magic's virtue is in its secrets and that makes it unique in the arts"...... Germain
SPINE
View Profile
New user
Chicago
87 Posts

Profile of SPINE
My wife and two older kids said this:

"Hey we don't want to know how it's done!"

They want to keep it magical and not know.

I kept saying they'll do something BETTER when they finish.

I was surprised they didn't...

:(
Card Ruse
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 23:37, Carl Skenes wrote:
This is their shtick.

:nod: Looked like schtick to me.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I was at a friends house and almost everyone in the room said they were disappointed that they showed how it was done. It ruined it for them. "Oh, that's how they did it"?

My son, who I have instilled in him the ideas that we don't reveal how magic is done (he is a young budding Magician) was appalled. Why did they just show everyone how that was done? he asked. What was I to say?

They are arrogant. They don't "subscribe" to traditional thinking when it comes to magic. I think it is a shame that they are held to a different standard than the other Magicians.

Everybody would be screaming if David Blaine were to start exposing street magic.

Personally, I think they are bad for magic.
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I agree with you Spine, I kept expecting a curve ball at the end and they never thru it.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
They can't be THAT bad for magic. They've been around doing their thing for about 20 years and magic is still here. I'm working as much as I ever did. Anybody feel like their schedule is lighter because of Penn & Teller?
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
And more often than not, Penn & Teller expose only what they create. They designed the whole "Blast Off" routine, and they gave it's secret away. They came up with that opening illusion from "Penn & Teller Don't Try This At Home" where they were behind that mirror of that giant window frame. Almost surprised that Teller can still go through the actions of that routine, he is like 58 years old.

See you space cowboy...
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
They expose a lot of magic that they don't create. Cups and Balls comes to mind right away. If there were a thousand Penn and Tellers, we might all be out of work. Thankfully a lot of people did not see there various exposure shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn and teller exposure on America's got talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL