The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester pitch DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Platt's "Catapult" dvd is excellent and his Fanning Pitch is a great take on Sylvester's work with this amazing sleight but Platt's move is a different move really and worthy of its own noted regard. In the dvd I believe Platt speaks of Sylvester's work and how it inspired him. He has also been in contact with Dan Sylvester in developing his Pitch. So was I about my take on his work, in my use of the Quick Pitch which was my attempt to make the Pitch a more "everyday" move to utilize.

Perhaps Platt will speak on this here but I know he has tremendous respect for Sylvester's work. He is an amazing entertainer that happens to also be a tremendous magician and coin worker. I still say that his pitch is one of the most amazing moves in coin magic. And yes, he does go into greater depth as to the move, thinking and variations he went through in developing it. There's a lot in there including a great tutelage on the science behind the move. It should be on every coin workers magic shelf and marked - "REQUIRED VIEWING."
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
acuster
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of acuster
Oh man, you're selling me on the video, even if it is VHS Smile. I'm a sucker for in-depth analysis...it helps me think "outside the box" in using a sleight in addition to making it more deceptive. IMHO Platt's DVD is a great example of this, as he explores multiple uses of sleights (and it's very logically ordered as well).

On a somewhat related note, I thought I'd throw out the name of a company I've used in the past to transfer VHS to DVD: HDmediaservices.com

http://www.hdmediaservices.com/services/video-transfers.html

They have quick turnaround, do a nice job, and it's way cheaper than local services I've used. I had them do my Al Goshman tape. They put in chapter indices every 5 minutes, so you can skip ahead and find things more easily. It's also far easier than doing it yourself. For me, it was worth the $10. Especially since the Goshman video hasn't be re-released and I'm not even sure the VHS is available anymore. Also nice if you want to snag PAL tapes on clearance. It's $16 for the funkier formats, but still a decent price (half that of local shops I've used).

Andy
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I have just started relearning the sylvester pitch ,it's not easy but it's worth the effort ..i transfered mine to dvd so my vhs did not get damaged..also prefer dvds.Dan came up with a great routine using this method.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
535 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
This is indeed a great video and as others have pointed out, it's not an easy move to acquire but well worth the effort to learn it. The uses of this move are so wide, it's only limited by your imagination. Hottrix.com sells the DVD version.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I agree, this is one of the most astounding coin sleights that I have ever encountered. It is not easy to master and no one seems to do it quite like Sylvester the Jester. The effect with this sleight is simply amazing.

Having said that, I rarely see this remarkable sleight utilized in many coin routines. From a practical point of view, a muscle pass pitch (Charlie Justice) and the fanning pitch (Brian Platt) are probably more useful in day to day routining of coin magic.

Still, the Sylvester Pitch is a powerful tool to effect miracles.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
This video/the creator/and the people who saw the artistry, is finally getting the attention it deserves...

theres plenty of other ideas and knowledge withing this video. even if you don't ever learn the pitch, or apply it, theres plenty of other information that's just as golden within......worth it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
For those who want to know what makes Sylvester's tape of the pitch the best, one word: eggplants.

Jack Shalom
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey cp, here is one of my effects where I use my version of the Sylvester Pitch, which I call the "Quick Pitch." When done properly it is absolutely imperceptable. I actually execute the move twice in this old video and use the move all the time in my everday coin work. Smile

When you go there, click to download the video (right above the vid) to see it if you can't watch it on the website:

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/main/memb......ate_Coin
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Mb217, nicely done! I know you use a version of this sleight...and you do it surperbly - I have other materials of yours which I purchased from you in which you use this "quick pitch." I just don't see a lot of others use this amazing sleight. It sure works for you though!

Would you agree that this particular pitch is somewhat underutilized as a secret transfer?
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Absolutely cp...You're correct IMHO and I completely agree with you here.

I gotta tellya, I just don't understand why it's not better used by people. To me it's the absolute best way to traffic coins right out front. No one does it as well as Sylvester (though my friend, magician Joe Jesse is pretty darn close) with all that he can do with it but it's really worth learning and having at your avail. I remember struggling with it earlier on but then one day it just clicked and I've been doing it ever since. I don't leave home without it. Smile

All that Sylvester does is not necessary in everyday use and that's why I worked on finding another way to use this thing and came up with my variation of it, the "Quick Pitch." It enables you to use it for anything, anytime. Sylvester's move is just brilliant and inspired me unlike anything else I had seen at the time. And I have been saying just this for years now.

Thanks so much for the kind comments as to my use of the move in that effect and others. Also thanks for checking out my work. Much appreciated. Smile

lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I remember watching that video, Mb. What I love about this pitch is that it's done right in plain sight. It's incredible. I haven't been able to embrace it and learn it yet myself (it takes me a while to catch on to things sometimes)... but I think it's absolutely awesome. Sylvester came out with something awesome and I think Mb's variation is just as great.

As for being underused, I'd have to agree as well.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 09:59, lorenwade wrote:
As for being underused, I'd have to agree as well.

I also agree.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9022 Posts

Profile of funsway
In response to a couple of PMs, my SwayToss offered in HandFull is not based on any particular 'pitch' but derived from a Cross-Over Palm from billiard ball stuff -- except that the hands don't have to touch. It can be a Pitch or a Drop or just the object "hung in space" and never moves at all.

However, as a technique for moving the object from one hand to the other I guess it is a 'pitch' in a general sense -- and definately underused vis a vis other sleights. The Sway Methods just make it easier.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
The Sway Methods are interestingly effective moves and should also be better looked into by all on funsway's website.

As to the Sylvester Pitch, well there's much more to that one as well. Smile

RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Sylvester taught me the pitch after a show in vegas once, and for 3 months I did nothing but practice it. I really enjoy the move and the touches he has nowadays are far better than the old video. Although it is a great place to start. He fried me with appearing not only keys, coins, wallets, but even a full beer bottle in the toss. Man that is great magic. I also love his pencil up the nose!! very visual..
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Hey Guys,

I was looking for something else, but ran across two Sylvester-Centric postings.

Dan is selling his revised, re-edited DVD at his website, under "Merch."

http://sylvesterthejester.com/

Cheers!
AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Hi guys.. I learned the very basic of Sylvester pitch from Gregory Wilson's "On the spot" dvd.
I added some stuff in this routine such as producing different coins everytime or a lighter or some other small objects.
I'm also trying to produce a jumbo shiny coin but most of the time it flashes.
So i'de like to ask.. Is this possible with more practice?
Or I'll have to give up??
Searching for the magic side of life...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It's absolutely possible but try learning the move from the Master of it, Dan Sylvester on his Sylvester Pitch DVD instead of Wilson's On The Spot DVD. Wilson does OK but it's not exactly how Sylvester does it and his way is so much better. The DVD gives you all the deeper thinking on the move along with those crazy productions of a variety of things. It's well worth it IMHO.

mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Thanks for the advise.. I didn't know that Sylvester had published such a dvd.. Could you tell me some information about it's content??
I think it will be my next purchase..
Searching for the magic side of life...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Check here under "Merch" (merchandise). http://sylvesterthejester.com/

There is also a demo vid there, check at the 1:20 mark to see his Pitch work. Absolutely amazing but you tell me. Smile

On the DVD he goes through his professional comedy act and then goes into several of his magical effects along with the fabulous Sylvester Pitch. It's a great DVD and should be on everyone's magic bookshelf. I got it back when it was just available in VHS format.

Sylvester is a creative genius on a variety of levels and this work was way ahead of its time IMHO. Smile The Sylvester Pitch is still one of the most amazing moves I've ever seen. I actually took the move and used it in my own work with a slight variation to it to make it a more everyday move, called it the Quick Pitch but that's another story. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester pitch DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL