The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester pitch DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
In his Coins DVD David Stone teaches a simple and direct continuous coin transfer without the risk of missing the target with the coin, which can happen while performing the Sylvester pitch.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Bambu -

On his DVD entitled, Covert Coins, Charlie Justice teaches and performs his "muscle pass pitch." This is a similar to David Stone's handling but a brilliant use of a stealthy Muscle Pass. I recommend it over David Stone's version.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sylvester's work is truly amazing. He's a great thinker and a great guy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Bambu let me tell you something.. I'm a huge fan of David Stone, I love his acts and his routines.. BUT I believe that the Sylvester pitch is one of the most powerful moves in stand up coin magic.
Always there is a chance to miss the target but with the right practice, I believe that you are OK..
(I still miss sometimes Smile )
Searching for the magic side of life...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just gotta say here, whatever David Stone or Charlie Justice (both good guys and wonderful magicians to be sure) are teaching, it might be good but I sincerely doubt if it is anywhere as dynamic as the Sylvester Pitch, just my 2cents on that one.

That said, I agree mago, if there is a more powerful move than this I'd sure like to see it...and I've seen a lot out there as to coin magic. Smile

I don't typically use the Sylvester Pitch-"Proper" but moreso my little variation on it and I rarely if ever miss with it (Doubt if Sylvester misses much either...Don't look like it to me). Smile Probably because it's not even a thought in my mind that I would miss and pretty much I never do. Go figure? As a man thinketh, so is he. Smile

In general to me, what Sylvester does with this is as unique as what Mickey Silver does with his use of the ROV/SUV, maybe even moreso.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Mb217 -

I agree that the Sylvester Pitch is an amazing sleight - probably one of the most fantastic sleights I have ever encountered. A wonder that not many use it - who can do this like the Jester? For coin work, other maneuvers like your Quick Pitch, Charlie's (and Shoot's for that matter) Muscle Pass Pitch can be appropriate substitutes - although you are right, not the Inertia Pass that the Jester does so magically.

The Sylvester Pitch is offers such amazing magic and gaffless at that!
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Agreed cp my friend...I have often wondered why not more people use this move? There is certainly a knack to it and it definitely takes practice but it is doable. I've seen people that can do it, pretty much just like Sylvester, every part of it. Just someone that endeavored to make it happen and did, so it can be done - I seen it, incidentally a Café member here. Smile But I agree that there are more attainable/relative moves out there that can help you do some of the same things. Sylvester's presentation of this is his own and that's why I called it "Unique" like Mickey Silver using the ROV- uncanny! And yes the Pitch is so magical, I have often wondered why even more advanced workers have not endeavored to make this a part of what they do??? And you don't hear much discussion about it either but the real deal is, as I ponder in my mind much of what I've seen and experienced, I cannot think of many if any coin effects that I have seen that would eclipse Sylvester's presentation of this. I have seen wonderful coin magic, sleight of hand, gaffed work, etc. but to me what Dan does with that move as a master showman creates so much more in overall presentation than most any coin effect I've seen. Felt that way when I first saw Mickey Silver do his thing as well. Amazing! Like watching a man just take off running, jump into the air and just fly. WOW! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I think I know what you mean Marion - puzzles (my ability) versus real magical phenomena as performed by Sylvester, Mickey and some others.
(Goethe)
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
What I love in this move is that with a little imagination you can add in it whatever you like.. In a coin routine you can vanish the coins, bring them back, transform them etc etc.. You can handle only coins.. Ofcourse that is still magical, BUT with the Sylvester pitch you can handle every object you like..
Last time I performed it, I first stole my friend's watch. Then I started pitching coins and then he saw his watch appearing in my right hand.. His reaction was like what the f.. is my watch doing in his hand...
That's the power of that move...
Searching for the magic side of life...
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
The Sylvester Pitch is the best modern single coin sleight I am aware of. If there were an "Oscar" of original coin sleights- Sylvester is deserving for this visually deceptive, psychologically brilliant and outrageously bold handling of coins.

It makes for a miser's dream effect with no bucket and stack, self contained and pretty much foolproof once mastered. I guess it sort of reminds me of a much-evolved classic "Eureka Pass" trick by Downs, except the magician's hands don't touch!

If you think about it, the psychology of the sleights are exactly the same. Sylvester expands on the notion with visual bravado.

I suspect many magicans just don't have quite the nerve to use it as Sylvester does.

I think the Sylvester Pitch is one of those sleights with endless potential. Surely there will be upcoming magicians who take this, and fly with it into accomplishing miracles yet unseen!
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I got the Sylvester pitch video years ago, and it's still one of my favorite moves. I most often use it for a coins across, or as a shuttle pass. I also like the ability to do a walkaround miser's dream without needing a bucket. I've also integrated it into a 3-fly routine that I came up with a few years ago, enabling the trick to be performed without the hands coming together.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yep MJ, that's a good idea as to the 3 Fly. Smile Think he even teaches a coins across on the old video using the Pitch. I remember it being quite amazing. Smile Imagine doing an ungaffed 3 Fly where the hands "Don't" come together? Wonder sometimes why people with all these different attempts at these classic effects, never seem to mention this guy and how this powerful move could eliminate so much expensive fiddle-faddle to make things happen so much more magically IMHO...Hmmmmmmmm. Smile

Hope you post a vid of your 3 Fly one day soon, I'd love to see it but can already imagine how nicely it would be done with this great move as the rocket fuel behind it. Smile

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I used to play around with this move a lot back when I had a copy of the video! Does anyone have any news or insight on if or when it will be released on DVD?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 20:29, Mb217 wrote:
Check here under "Merch" (merchandise). http://sylvesterthejester.com/

There is also a demo vid there, check at the 1:20 mark to see his Pitch work. Absolutely amazing but you tell me. Smile

On the DVD he goes through his professional comedy act and then goes into several of his magical effects along with the fabulous Sylvester Pitch. It's a great DVD and should be on everyone's magic bookshelf. I got it back when it was just available in VHS format.

Sylvester is a creative genius on a variety of levels and this work was way ahead of its time IMHO. Smile The Sylvester Pitch is still one of the most amazing moves I've ever seen. I actually took the move and used it in my own work with a slight variation to it to make it a more everyday move, called it the Quick Pitch but that's another story. Smile

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Oh wow I don't know how I missed that, thank you Marion!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
This now DVD should be in every magicians collection. Whether you master the move or not, it is a brilliant example of timing, mis"attention", magic, you name it.
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
This was my first video I ever bought years ago, Dans work is awesome!! I love the pitch and I have practiced it a lot and use it a lot,I also came up with my own variation where I can show the palm empty before pitching to it, basically pitching from tenkai pintch.
It is pretty difficult. Dan is a legend and a great guy, I emailed him when I was younger and he replied with some great advice. I think this move is genius, and personally I am glad that is is under utilized as it is so unique.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I still use the coins across routine using the pitch as taught in the video. I've even burned a few magicians with it. I even fooled my wife with it, which is saying something. The false count with coins taught at the end of the routine is one of the simplest, easiest false counts with coins I've ever used and it simply burns people that suspect an extra coin.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sylvester pitch DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL