The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Commonalities or What Led Us Here (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I always loved scarring people although it almost turned my then four year old brother into a murderer.
The two of us had just finished watching the television premiere of the Exorcist(I know, what mother would allow their 5 and 9 year old children to stay up and watch that. Mine would, god love her!). Just before bed, I flipped my eyelids inside out and, in a controlled belching voice, promised to take his soul to hell while he slept. In 20 minutes the house was filled the cacophony of my brother crying for my mother swearing I was possessed, and my mother screaming at us to get to bed. So I jumped into the top bunk and every now and then I would poke my head down again and scare him again! Such fun! Finally we fell a sleep, woke up and went to school the next morning.
When we got back from school in the afternoon my mom took my brother aside and asked him why she had found the carving knife under his mattress while making his bed. He said that he was so afraid that I was possessed by the devil, that he got the knife from the kitchen, and was ready to thrust it through the top bunk mattress, into my back, if he heard any suspicious sounds from me! Thank God I did not snore!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2010-06-20 22:45, necroloid wrote:
I always loved scarring people although it almost turned my then four year old brother into a murderer.
The two of us had just finished watching the television premiere of the Exorcist(I know, what mother would allow their 5 and 9 year old children to stay up and watch that. Mine would, god love her!). Just before bed, I flipped my eyelids inside out and, in a controlled belching voice, promised to take his soul to hell while he slept. In 20 minutes the house was filled the cacophony of my brother crying for my mother swearing I was possessed, and my mother screaming at us to get to bed. So I jumped into the top bunk and every now and then I would poke my head down again and scare him again! Such fun! Finally we fell a sleep, woke up and went to school the next morning.
When we got back from school in the afternoon my mom took my brother aside and asked him why she had found the carving knife under his mattress while making his bed. He said that he was so afraid that I was possessed by the devil, that he got the knife from the kitchen, and was ready to thrust it through the top bunk mattress, into my back, if he heard any suspicious sounds from me! Thank God I did not snore!

To this day I am unable to watch that entire film, I have to hide behind my wife at the really scary parts Smile

Quote:
On 2010-06-20 22:10, Anansi wrote:
I love this thread, It's gorgeous,
I read and know and recognise. I am amongst kindred souls. Thank you Tony for starting this thread.
I feel like I should say a proper hello as I've been on the Café for a few months now and think I've found my home.
How does this sound? (with due nod to the Forer Effect):

You have a great need for other people to like and admire you and a strange attraction to yard sales and boxes of antique keys . You have a tendency to be critical of yourself, which is in turn magnified by your peers on The Magic Café. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage although once you played a level 9 assassin with a Vorpal blade and vanquished a Necromancer. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them with your outstanding mental fortress of a mind, honed by years of studying Kato in 'The Green Hornet' and making sure you concentrate on the Moon and not the finger (thereby seeing the heavenly glory). Disciplined and self-controlled outside and with a slightly non-standard musculature for a martial artist, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside, even though you have mastered the 'one-inch-punch' and can use Nunchukas and a three sectioned staff. Dan Inosanto is a personal hero and you still look fondly on that collection of shuriken in your middle drawer. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing, but you still Paypal Outlaw regardless. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and frequently purchase alternative Tarot decks yet become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations placed upon you by restaurant management. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof such as the Necronomicon or TSR's Monster Manual. There have been times when you have felt very alone, such as when you decided to purchase the RPG 'Paranoia' or voiced a negative opinion about Neil Gaiman. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others, they are either afraid, call Ghostbusters or take out an injunction against you. At times (whilst working) you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times (When you are approached by a predatory member of the opposite sex) you are introverted, wary, reserved (though have some great scenarios running through your mind). Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic (such as trying to exhume Roald Dahl in order to commission RicHeka into turning Roald's pinky into a pendulum).
Security (and how to breach it) is one of your major goals in life. You believe entirely that Hollywood will eventually do a re-make of 'Logan's Run' and 'The Devil Rides Out' and just recently, you successfully outbid all rivals for the trampoline used by Vincent Price in 'Theatre of Blood'.

;)

Priceless!!

I never considered myself a nerd or geek when I was a kid. I played football and ran track. I remember some teammates asking if they could get in on a D&D game and asking me not to tell anyone. But come to think of it, I was a dren and still am. Dren is nerd spelled backward if any of you remember that Happy Days episode. Smile

As far as martial arts I dabbled in Tae Kwon Do when I was young but gravitated toward Krav Maga in the mid to late 90s.

I think I'll pop in that Kolchak; Night Stalker Vampire episode. Good to see this thread alive again.

Thanks for the memories.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
My apologies for disappearing for a bit -- there be dragons in my neighborhood lately --- disguised as bankers who have almost replaced the dark sorcerers in my life disguised as physicians.

I am probably closer in age to Kotah than many of you -- I am a pre-WWII baby -- a generation whose mark was scratched by ducking under desks in school to protect us from the falling debris caused by nearby released atom bombs. We were scarred by Dick Clark and Elvis and felt the after effects of Count Basie and Duke Ellington -- live. The advent of color TV was a shocking event meant to normalize society -- except some of us remained color blind.

I was in college when the Cuban Missile crisis occurred -- and was summarily dismissed from one institution where I made light of the situation feeling that humankind would not destroy itself then. I have not feared death or the future -- they are inevitable. It is the painful portion of the ride to both that brings terror to my bones. Pain, frustration, isolation complete boredom -- and having to watch card tricks and badly done sub-trunks all terrify me. High school plays come next.

But, I am lazy -- so for years I made money by playing the cabaret magician box illusionist. The drama in a routine, sequence or a trick was enough to garner applause, amuse the audience and garner a check. Most mentalists I saw were b-o-r-i-n-g.

Then I met Eugene Burger and spent time with Jeff McBride. Those sessions changed my whole take on magic. It all became about the connection between me and the audience......and more importantly the audiences thoughts, patterns of belief and approach to life.

That is where I think I realized that the conjunction between what is labeled "bizarre" and mentalism == with a little shamanistic magic would allow me to do what I always hoped magic would do for me -- but never did. Get people thinking about more than how the trick was done -- but how their life actually affects those around them and the world as a whole.

Diverse paths of interest bring us to a common table -- people who study brain chemistry and the startle reaction. People who actually test and demonstrate afterlife. Psychics who can motivate and psychics who use our faux "powers" to impress or defraud, instead of as a tool for thoughtful entertainment.

The principles of our craft are easy to learn and parrot. The practice is a life long demonstration of a practical set of tools of art -- used for good or ill as is either literature or propaganda -- visual art for evocative viewing or just advertising -- or the network for inciting violence or the dissemination of friendship.

Now --- pick a card -- after all -- this is an I Ching deck.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
There is also the love of strange artifacts. I think we bizarrists have a more refined love of such things, as antiques, ethnic and "primitive" tools and weapons and such, but magicians everywhere are attracted by gaudy boxes with dragons on them. And have we not, most of us anyway, evolved from this ourselves?
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Ah yes, we can get hung up on artifacts. At present I am burdened with 80+ different Tarot style decks, multiple Ouija style boards, special tale I have built for "fortune telling," crystal balls, pendulums, Egyptian Gods of Old as set dress for my Sand Readings, and a library of advice that reaches back into the 1800s with advice, tricks and potentials.

These are the spice, meat and potatoes of my future -- and bring a fascination that runs deeper than just collecting.

Now if I can just finish selling my professional but "regular" magic so I can get on with making an honest living in the bizarre world ---- with the limitations brought on by extended illness --

Is it not bizarre, then, that we must spend so much time at mundane work (writing sales lists, etc.) posting magic items for sale that we do not have time to write and perform professionally.

Some days I wish VanHel=sing would just show up and find me asleep in my coffin and treat me to a stake for lunch.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
We all read "Spooky Tricks" as kids?

I cannot think of a good answer to this question. There are a a few people on this part of the Café I'd help move a body, and a few I'd probably step over if I saw their body lying in the street...

But even the ones I dislike have some very interesting views and have great things to share, so I'm thankful they have been drawn here -for whatever reason brings them back again and again...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2010-06-21 16:44, Bill Ligon wrote:
There is also the love of strange artifacts. I think we bizarrists have a more refined love of such things, as antiques, ethnic and "primitive" tools and weapons and such, but magicians everywhere are attracted by gaudy boxes with dragons on them. And have we not, most of us anyway, evolved from this ourselves?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................
I'm more attracted by the Dragon himself.
Kevin Fortin
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fortin
As for me: Dark Shadows, The Addams Family, Edward Gorey, Saturday afternoon Creature Feature on TV, The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, getting to play in the woods when a kid, fireflies, weird oozy fungi, Ray Bradbury, Dunninger, The Amazing Kreskin, Madame Blavatsky. I might even add "Roadside Picnic" by the Strugatsky brothers (haven't seen the movie "Stalker", though). And one or two true-life spooky stories from family members, and a synchronicity or two of my own.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I saw "Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein" at five years of age--and a future of fascination with horror and the bizarre was set.

I still have the Warren magazine edition of Dick Smith's Monster Makeup Handbook. The cover is long gone and the book is in poor condition, but I still have it.

I've also re-collected most of the early "Creepy" and "Eerie" mags.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 19:15, Steve_Mollett wrote:

For me it was Warren Magazine ...'VAMPIRELLA'. And, of course...'Godzilla'! "I'm Nuclear Infected"
I collect everything from mags,comics,models,statues,art work (Such Greats as Frazzetta,Boris,Bisly and so on)and all the new artist for "Vampirella"!(From the early 70's and now on !)
Always, loved the Lady's of the night !
How fitting for Bizarre...Darkness with the touch of Beauty !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
An interest in Alchemy is what drew me.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
jaheath
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of jaheath
This is fun thread to find.

Everything from Godzilla, to the Warren mags and Irwin Allen!
I have passion for these topics, and I only recently discovered the Café.
Now imagine my joy at finding this forum!

I am looking forward to what the future holds!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 20:04, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 19:15, Steve_Mollett wrote:

For me it was Warren Magazine ...'VAMPIRELLA'. And, of course...'Godzilla'! "I'm Nuclear Infected"
I collect everything from mags,comics,models,statues,art work (Such Greats as Frazzetta,Boris,Bisly and so on)and all the new artist for "Vampirella"!(From the early 70's and now on !)
Always, loved the Lady's of the night !
How fitting for Bizarre...Darkness with the touch of Beauty !

Vampirella...oh my...I remember those mags. And Eerie War...

I actually started doing this stuff through a looooong trip. Did comedy magic for the corporate market, trade shows etc for 20+ years. Still do.

THEN one day, on a lark, I ordered the Osterlind DVD set of the 13 Steps and was utterly blown away...having always considered mentalism a minor subset of magic. Yes...I was wrong...

THEN I started ordering props from Outlaw and Prater and fell in love. I can genuinely say I would rather do a one hour intimate show featuring Luna & friends than a stage performance.

I was addicted to books by Merrit, and King...the whole Dark Shadows series...and Stoker. Oh boy. Twilight Zone...Outer Limits...pretty much any movie with power failures, creepy villains and girls going down into basements in their underwear.

Doing this is just an extension of all that.

Love this stuff!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Such sweet sorrow, re reading this thread.
I'm nostalgic for many Brothers no longer round these parts; but it's always fun to see how much we have in common with the new blood, keeping the fires burning.
[
EddiefromEugene
View Profile
New user
Eugene, Oregon
83 Posts

Profile of EddiefromEugene
My friends and I always had an interest in halloween tech. When we watched a slasher movie or went to Disneyland, we rode the Haunted Mansion countless times both for inspiration and to learn methods. The goal around Halloween was to entertain and create an immersive experience with some rather dark themes. Suspension of disbelief.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Commonalities or What Led Us Here (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL