The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bob Longe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Can anyone tell me anything about the late (apparently) Bob Longe? I have enjoyed his books, but I don't know where to find out about him, other than from his own writings. I don't even know what year he died. I am especially interested in the matter of how he seems to have had two different eras in his life of writing about magic. He says in a book published in 1993 that "Many years ago" he had published a trick he called "The Invisible Deck" (not the famous trick by that name).

In the 1991 book "World's Best Card Tricks," page 39, he refers to publishing a trick in 1949. But, it seems as though it wasn't until the 1990's that he started writing the books for Sterling Publishing that so many people today have read and that started so many young magicians in magic. I

assume he started writing all those recent books when he retired from teaching English, since he was born in 1928 and would have been in his 60's in the 1990's. He seems to have been a personal friend of many of the biggest names in magic in recent times. What can anyone tell me about him?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Hushai,
That is a great question. I seem to see his name on many of my card magic books, yet I have never heard of him myself. Hopefully we will hear from someone who can shed some light on the illusive Bob Longe.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
62 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
This month Aug 2006 TLR has some info on him that might help you.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=001744

tabman@bellsouth.net used to correspond with Bob Longe. Tabman has posted here in the past, but not recently.
Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
I had the privledge to know Bob for several years at our Lake Orion Magic club in Michigan. Bob, Milt Kort, and Ron Bauer met each week with our cohort of other magicians. Both Bob and Milt have since passed and our club is still fortunate to have RB attend.

Bob was always very generous with his time and knowledge. He was a teacher by profession and is likely one of the most successful magic book authors. His books are in every Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstore. You can't enter the Magic and Hobbies section without stumbling into a few titles. He was always willing to help aspiring writers hone their craft as well as improve their magic skills. He was always one of the good guys willing to share and contribute to the group. You'd show him something you're working on and he'd have two or three different versions.

One of Bob's effects will be published in Ron Bauer's Private Studies #23 Worn Out Deck. A few of us have been performing this gem for a few years and the reactions are great!

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/all24r......over.htm

Check out the other titles by Bob...there are a lot of nuggets of information.

Andy
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
956 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I considered Bob a friend. We met in Naples, FL in 1990 at a restaurant in which I was performing. He'd already published books with Sterling and was working on mathematical type tricks at the time. When he would go back to Michigan (he was a snowbird), we would correspond my snail-mail and he would send tricks he was working on or found great delight in. All written in long-hand.

He had an amazing knowledge of many different types of magic and shared his delight and his knowledge without hesitation.

On one of Bob's visits, the newspaper did a front page (Living section) article on my performances with many pictures. Bob is in a couple of them, shown with huge smiles and ostensibly teaching a trick.

He was a delightful soul that loved to share magic.

I should add that many of the tricks Bob presented were not typical of beginner's books, but were presented in a way that a beginner would understand. If you see any of his books at Barnes & Nobles, you may be surprised at the quality of material he collected and shared.
mruniquename
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of mruniquename
I know this is bumping an old topic, but I've only just discovered his books and have already started building a collection (3 books in as many weeks!). Sadly none of my local bookshops sell his stuff, so I'm having to get them all online, but I'm really impressed with his stuff. His "worlds best card tricks" has automatically become my favourite card trick book...

I wish I had the chance to meet the man!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I'm pleases to learn more about Bob Longe, and saddened to learn he is no longer here.
I have always enjoyed his books, and as many of you have already said, very impressed with the quality of the magig and the writing.
Mr. Longe's death explains one mystery, at least. That is, why Sterling started putting out those terrible magic books by "The Diagram Group".
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
One of the things I love the most about Bob Longe books is how clearly he was able to teach an effect, and with limited illustrations. He was a teacher for sure, and I, too, am sad he is gone.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bob_Longe

Had a number of his books for decades and just looked him up out of interest today.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I've asked this elsewhere, but, are the tricks "Tricky Transpo" and "Quaint Coincidence" in Bob Longe's book World's Best Card Tricks examples of the principle behind the Smith Myth?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bob Longe (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL