The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Mongolian Pop Knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
I just started working on Whit Haydn's incredible Mongolian Pop Knot Routine and wanted to know how well this routine would work in a birthday party show for 5-10 year olds? Thank-you very much.

Joe
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Better for the older kids. Great routine.
Steve V
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Sammy Sith's Rope Rouitne goes over very well for the younger kid set (5-8 yrs). IT can be gotten either from his book Big Laughs for Little People or his combo DVD.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I think that the Mongolian Pop Knot routine is very magical, and the kids would love seeing it. It all depends on presentation - I doubt Whit would use all of the same jokes for kids as he uses for adults if he were doing a kid's show. It is a great routine... I don;t see any reason why not to use it with that age range of kids.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
I had a feeling this would play well with older kids. I was just trying to decide between using this routine or my Kandu Knot Funny Routine for the younger crowd. My goal is to use most of the same effects from show to show, just changing the routines to fit the show. If I used this routine I figured I would skip Knot Funny and use the Crazy Carton instead. For this routine I was going to add some falling blade scissors that would keep falling on me, and a suggested routine from another Café member where you are in trouble and can't get the knots off and a volunteer makes some magic gestures and uses some pixie dust and is able to blow the knots off.

Joe
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It's a great routine that little kids probibly won't be able to follow. There are other rope tricks that work better for little kids.
MY OPINION
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I guess it depends on the age of the kid and the actual kid, since not all 5 year olds are created equal (as far as maturity). I also think 5-10 is a big age range.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
kidshowguy
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of kidshowguy
I have seen Whit do this routine many times for lay audiences and it was always for adults or mixed family, never solely for kids. it is a masterpiece in his hands!
Mark
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Joe:

Another option is to do the Whit Haydn routine with the Long and Short rope as part of it. The Long/Short rope is the routine where you have two medium pieces of rope and try to even them up by cutting one - but they continue to be uneven. You're in the perfect position for this when you have the three equal ropes in the Haydn routine.

I think the Haydn routine needs some extra laughs for the little ones; the Long and Short routine is a classic comedy situation that will get a lot of laughs.

Ron
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Hi Marvello,

It's definitely a big age range and yes there can certainly be a big range within those ages as well. It kind of makes it tough with such a broad range in age and maturity.

kidshowguy - I couldn't agree with you more, Mr. Haydn is incredible and this is a masterpiece in his hands. As with all of his routines of course.

Hi Ron,

I really like the idea of playing up the long and short rope. That was the direction I was going with the falling blade scissors & pixie dust ending. My biggest thing is I just really want to simplfy things as much as possible, focusing on using the same effects for the most part and just varying the presentation as necessary. I figure if I do that I will get much better with those few effects in stead of using so many different items. They may never become a masterpiece in my hands to the skill level like that of Mr. Haydn, but I would at least really improve my own skills and presentation.

Joe
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
I just used this routine at a daycare last week & it went over very well, I changed the patter. I did use the pixie dust joke, the kids did not get it , but the teachers got a big kick out it.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Quote:
On 2006-08-14 09:46, richgerb86 wrote:
I just used this routine at a daycare last week & it went over very well, I changed the patter. I did use the pixie dust joke, the kids did not get it , but the teachers got a big kick out it.

Thank-you Rich,

If it went well at the daycare it should work great for my needs. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Joe
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I've a question. You were determined to use the routine for lil' kids, which is up to you...why did you bother asking for opinions?
Steve V
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-08-16 14:00, Steve V wrote:
You were determined to use the routine for lil' kids, which is up to you...why did you bother asking for opinions?
Steve V

Two questions ...what gave you the impression he was 'determined' to sue that routine? And also, what's wrong with asking for diverse opinions on its effectiveness for his particular target audience? Does this mean you MUST act on opinions once you soliciti them. In my view, posting questions on such forums as this one can just lead one to reach a more reasoned decision.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-08-13 11:58, JJP161 wrote:
I had a feeling this would play well with older kids. I was just trying to decide between using this routine or my Kandu Knot Funny Routine for the younger crowd.

Joe

As a follow up to my earlier post...I feel this quote clearly illustrates the mindset of the member who posted the original question. There doesn't seem any phrase that implies 'determination' on his part.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Because he responded to the positive while not the ones with the opinion that for the smaller kids it might be a bit hard to follow. That indicates wanting an endorsement of what he wanted to do already. Nothing wrong with that, I just find it interesting. I've seen this at work...someone gets an idea then they shop for agreement no matter how many people they have to run it by. You see, if I decide to add something to my show I do it, I don't ask opinions because they won't effect what I am going to do.
Steve V
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Oh, another thing, to make the routine work you have to make the pop off knot seem like an unplanned event. Doing it like Whit isn't funny to little kids, acting like you want to do something with the knot and it keeps falling off is very funny to kids.
Steve V
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Geez Steve,
Calm down a little I was just asking what people thought, I was looking for some help and advice from my fellow magicians. I was under the impression that was what this board was for, magicians helping magicians. If you notice I did mention that I would change the routine if I did use it. Going with the theory of making one of the kids the hero. I also mentioned the kids would be from 5-10 which is a rather broad range in my opinion. Because there is a broad range it is making it rather difficult for me to select suitable material as I don't have a lot of experience in this area. That is why I asked for people's advice and opinions, but at the same time still retain the option to think for myself a little?

I did respond to your post and agreed with you that it would play great for older kids. In fact all your post said was it was better for older kids, you didn't say not to use it for little kids. But as you can see there are opinions for and against so honestly I'm not sure what makes your opinion on the subject more important than those who said it would be good for little kids. I honestly put a tremendous amount of weight in what Mr. Haydn had to say about the subject. As he took the time to respond to this question directly on another forum and said "Should play well for that age group".

I should also state I am not a professional magician, nor do I ever claim to be. What I am is a Full-time Fire Lieutenant on a busy engine company and a Realtor on my days off. I do perform magic for friends, clients, children and family, and for the birthday parties of my friends' children for free, when I am asked to do so. I have been doing this for years as they keep asking me to come back. Though I perfrom for free I still do everything I can to give a professional quality show. I might also mention I'm off injured right now because a brown recluse spider crawled into my fire gear sometime during a 24 hour shift and bit me 24 times during the two structure fires and 10 other runs we had that shift. That has now developed into an infection known as a MRSA staff infection, and has possibly entered my spine and eyes, so between blood tests, drugs, pain killers and doctors appointments I haven't checked this thread as closely as I should and when I do I have a heck of a time seeing it because of the swelling in my eyes.

So for everyone who responded thank you all very much I sincerely appreciate your invaluable insights. To be honest I'm still not sure which routine I'm going to use, at this time I'm just hoping to be healthy in time to properly prepare for the show. Again thank-you all very much and I apologize to any one who was offended by any of my responses or lack there of. I also apologize to you as well Steve V, I do appreciate your insights and response as well, and I'm sorry that I offended you.

Joe
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I'm perfectly calm and I gave you brilliant insight into routining, mess with their heads.
Steve V
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Steve,

Thank you for your insights on routining and if I do decide to go with this routine then I will definitely incoporate your ideas with the knots. I honestly don't know at this point if I'll have the routine down well enough to do it justice.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Mongolian Pop Knot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL