The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Busking at the Beach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I'm going to the beach in SC next week for 7 days...I thought about busking ocean front.

what do you guys think?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Ah...what the heck, go do it.
Steve V
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I doubt you'll get much money on the beach. Are you going to Myrtle Beach? Do they still have the clubs and the small carnival? That's the spot......there's a TON of people walking around there.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Crowds, you gotta have crowds!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Forget crowds...The first thing you need is POCKETS! Then you need Crowds...Crowds with pockets.
Lots of bikinis on a beach but Not many pockets on a Bikini.
On a boardwalk or in the touristy areas on the way to the beach, maybe, but not on the beach itself.
Gwyd
Chad M Kuykendall
View Profile
New user
South Carolina, USA
13 Posts

Profile of Chad M Kuykendall
I believe the coasters and such are up in North Myrtle Beach (if Myrtle Beach is your destination) so I'd ride the bus or get someone to take you up there. It's the road right beside the beach that has all of that...I forget the name of it. Lots of beach boutiques along there, lots of people. Being it's right before college begins you'll probably hit the last wave of grads so it'll be like when I went at the beginning of summer...they want to indulge themselves in every way possible.
Existence exists...let's build something beautiful off of that.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah, that's what I thought guys!

Thanks!

BTW I am going to Myrtle.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
Brett,

I lived in the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area for 2 decades before I got my exit visa. During a good bit of that time, I made a good living from street performing. Unfortunately, it was not there. The closest city to work and consistently make great hats is 100 miles further south in Charleston, SC.

As for Myrtle Beach, the local cops take a very dim view of street performers. Not to mention a number of the local businesses. It has only been within the last few months that the Myrtle Beach government passed an ordinance granting the right to busk. Keep in mind that this applies ONLY to MUSIC acts and even they are limited as to volume and performing locations. And don't forget the fee for the permit.

I would suggest private property venues instead of public areas. Personally, I think that the bar/restaurant scene in that area is great for busking(hell, it was for me)and would recommend that to you except for the fact that, according to your profile, you are still a minor.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I thought that you might like the lowdown.

That said, take your stuff anyway. Talk to the local operators. Who knows, you may just line something up. If not this season, then maybe next when you are legal. I remember getting my first nightclub gig as magician & emcee when I was only 18. And that was at a strip joint.

Good luck.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Being 17 hasn't stopped me from working in bars before...I've even worked berlesque shows, when lining up gigs no one has ever asked me my age.

I've busked in Charleston, did very well. Did you do a magic act when you worked there?

Thanks for the info!

BTW,
I would love to talk to you about your bullet catch.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Sometimes I've worked a venue w/o asking/permit, here in Tulsa, Oklahoma all they will do is ask you to move along. Though they might not be as nice else where.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Busking at the Beach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL