The Magic Café
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » insurance for expensive props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I would like to know if anyone has advise or information on insuring props against damage. Our show is pushing $20,000 and a fire or wreck in transit could be a bad thing. The normal insurance companies I have talked to are too high in my opinion (around 1,500 per year). Thanks!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing

I have a normal Inland Marine insurance policy on my equipment and the cost is considerably less than you're being quoted. (Under $400.)

The key to finding less expensive insurance is finding an agent that will work hard to get you coverage placed with a standard carrier rather than a specialty carrier.

My best friend is an insurance agent and I have helped him out in his office when he is understaffed. Because of that, he and I were able to talk his underwriter into letting me purchase a standard policy.

There are some other points to consider. One, I have 2 life insurance policies, as well as home and auto insurance with this carrier. Additionally, there are different ways to rate the risk. Initially, the underwriter wanted to rate my equipment as "high susceptiblity", which means that a loss was more likely to occur than normal.

When I talked to the underwriter, she thought my equipment would be setup in a theatre an be left unattended on a regular basis. When I explained that I only do "one-nighters" and my equipment is rarely unattended, she changed the rating to "moderate susceptibility."

Your performing circumstances will certainly affect your cost. If you have a touring show, the risks are higher. If you have no other insurance with the agent or the carrier, they are not likely to give you an "accommodation."

Hope this helps a little.

Michael Messing
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of skilusion
I have a policy that is about $250. It protects me with $ 1 million Dollars of liability for my show (in case a stage hand or audience member where to get hurt. Many theaters require this.) and up to $20,000 for the props themselves. I also have insurance on my truck (where the illusions are stored) and this covers the illusions while they are in the truck. I too was looking for a policy to cover them but found it to be cheaper to get the liability and add the property protection. If you have more questions, then email me at
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Look in to the inland marine policy - it basically covers your equipment when it leaves your warehouse or storage facility. But usually is not covered when off the truck.
As far as liability insurance - this is rather inexpensive considering the coverage -We carry a 6 million policy.

As far as the amount of insurance to carry - this all depends but keep in mind the replacement costs of your equipment - We carry at least $20,000 in lighting gear alone - to replace the rig with new lights ( I'm not too sure I would be able to find them used ) it would most likely cost well over $30 or 35,000.
This comes into effect IF something were to happen.
Any other questions on this, please don't hesitate to email me directly - but then again I got slammed from someone else on another post I made that said to email me directly, so we will see. Smile
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » insurance for expensive props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL