The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Should 'you' be easy to hypnotize? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
To be a good stage hypnotist, is it either helpful or necessary for the stage hypnotist to be easily hypnotizable himself/herself?

Dai Bato
Sickpuppy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, England
50 Posts

Profile of Sickpuppy
To answer that question, I don't believe it is necessary for a hypnotist to be easily hypnotizable (If it exists, I take you back to the question you asked a few days ago. Re Is hypnosis real. (I am not opening that can of worms again)). Just go out there and do it, you might be suprised just how easy it can be.
hypnoticmandy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of hypnoticmandy
Daibato,

Whether your a good subject or not is irrelevant...

The fact is the most important thing you need is balls of steel and supreme self confidence..

Oh and some practical experinece of working an audeinece and manipulating them to do what you want,

After all in truth as even people like Andrew Newton (Man Who Taught Paul McKenna Stage Hypnosis) say in their courses Hypnosis Does Not Exist..its all pure psyhology in a stage context..

Kreskin Says the same and does a whole hypnotic style act using NO HYPNOSIS...

Royle teaches "Theres No Such Thing As Hypnosis" and now has many students (search net) who perform thier acts the way he advises with great results..

Even Ormond McGill stated in one of his texts that Stage Hypnosis is nothing more than manipulative Psychology and having supreme self confidence and stage prescence..

Hypnosis (as taught by many) is the last thing you need to learn,

Audienece management and stage performing skills and self confidence are way more important..

Regards

Hypnotic Mandy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20385 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sickpuppy I can understand the frustration.

Don't judge to quickly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sickpuppy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, England
50 Posts

Profile of Sickpuppy
Your right Danny. I'll bite my tongue abit longer next time.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Well I disagree of course hypnosis exists. Its just a label to explain a psychological manipulative process that leads to certain states in the volunteers.

that's all hypnosis is. But it does create real phenomena such as hallucination and amnesia. And a whole lot more.

So for those reasons it does exist.

A mysterious power from a dark mystic or Svengali - no that doesn't exist. But the process and the results of that process are real.

Shrink
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20385 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shrink your right. Put any label on it you want, but the "phenemonea" you are speaking of do happen.

"Does hypnosis exist" is a pointless arguement.Are the things real they experience to them anyhow, that is the real question at hand.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sickpuppy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, England
50 Posts

Profile of Sickpuppy
As anybody on this forum been hypnotised before? Then we can answer this question once and for all. May we never speak of it again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20385 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have.

I actually felt it necessary to experience what I was putting people through.

That was a personal choice on my part, and not a universal belief that everyone should.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Hi Dai

It is my belief that my state leads the client / subjects state; therefore whilst I do not need to go into a deep somnambulistic trance to put someone else under, I feel it’s useful to get myself into a partial hypnotic state to lead the client.

Now saying that an instant Induction wouldn’t necessarily need this.

I'm with Danny on the above I also felt it was necessary to experience what I was putting people through.

I assume you are learning currently, have you tried Self hypnosis? I started this way about 15 years ago and bought various books, the one that stands out was a book called Mindstore by Jack Black(as I recall he doesn't mention the word Hypnosis but in my opinion that’s what it was!) and recorded the induction and played it back to myself.

Good Luck on your journey

Marc
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Amazing. I go on the road for a few days and we're right back where we were before, arguing over whether hypnosis exists.

STOP IT, PLEASE!!

The argument is irrelevant to the FACT that STAGE HYPNOSIS AS AN ENTERTAINMENT FORM DOES EXIST!

Now, to the ACTUAL question that was asked - which was about whether the performer should be readily hypnotizeable, the answers that have been given are: yes, not applicable and there's no such thing, so far.

To my way of thinking, if you can call what I do thinking - the question really isn't being asked in the manner in which relevance might be applicable, which is to say should it be NECESSARY for a stage hypnotist to be easily hypnotizeable.

And the answer to that is an obvious "No." The reason that it is obvious is that anyone CAN be a stage hypnotist, regardless of their trance capacity. The necessity for a high level of trance capacity simply is not something that is a requirement for putting on a good show or for being able to get volunteers into the state of mind that most people agree is "stage hypnosis" whatever that may, in the end analysis, actually be.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Quote:
On 2006-08-18 06:15, shrink wrote:
Well I disagree of course hypnosis exists. Its just a label to explain a psychological manipulative process that leads to certain states in the volunteers.

that's all hypnosis is. But it does create real phenomena such as hallucination and amnesia. And a whole lot more.

So for those reasons it does exist.

A mysterious power from a dark mystic or Svengali - no that doesn't exist. But the process and the results of that process are real.

Shrink

Where did I ask about the existence of hypnosis? I have moved on. Why can't the rest of you move on?
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 16:19, HypnotizeAmerica wrote:
What is the point of all of your questions? I mean are you afraid to take the first step or just like most who want to know everything but do nothing with that info?

I have just finished a course at the Hypnosis Motivation Institute and am beyond taking the 'first step'; I am actively pursuing this, I am in SAG, AFTRA and Actors Equity and have no fear regarding performing in front of the public. So chill, HypnotizeAmerica, you are making impulsive statements with no information.

So much for 'magicians helping magicians'.

Dai Bato
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
I believe that a stage hypnotist should also be a good stage hypnotic subject. Bu that I mean that you should be completely willing to do everything that you ask of your volunteers.

--Chris
hypnofande
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of hypnofande
That's interesting that someone commented earlier that Andrew Newton doesn't believe in hypnosis or that it is real. I saw his show in Leeds last week and I was a little surprised that he was asking people to leave the stage if he didn't think they were suitable for the show (after a 75 minute induction - yes, you read that right) without actually taking them out of trance. One woman became unresponsive when she returned to her seat and her worried friends had to call him down later in the show to take her out of trance.
Hypnosis - it's all in the imagination...
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Should a person who does stage hypnosis be easily hypnotizable? This makes an assumption that there are people who are and who are not easily hypnotizable. I would suggest that ALL adults of average or greater intelligence (which includes most stage hypnotists Smile ) and who wish to be hypnotized are easily hypnotizable. This does not mean they are always easily hypnotizable or that they are easily hypnotizable by every hypnotist.

So IMO the basic question is actually rather meaningless. Perhaps you might wonder if a person is a better stage hypnotist if s/he has been hypnotized many times. My answer is a bit more complex.

IMO, a good stage hypnotist is also a good actor. S/he must be good (either innately or through training) with such things as blocking, stage presence, public speaking, rapport with an audience, and stage movement as well as being able to induce hypnosis and perform a complete act with amateurs while maintaining total safety. Does a person have to get trained in public speaking to be a great hypnotist? Nope. But training doesn't hurt and could help. Similarly, having experienced being hypnotized many times won't hurt, and by understanding the experience from the POV of a person who is hypnotized, it may help. So should you? Not necessarily. Can it hurt? No. Can it help? Probably.

As to the question of whether hypnosis exists, I would remind you of one of the few "Ground Rules" of this forum:

2) No ARGUMENTS ABOUT THE "REALITY" OF HYPNOSIS, please. Hypnosis, AS A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT, is most certainly REAL as many of the participants in this forum actively practice this form of theater to earn their livings. Any arguments as to whether hypnosis is "real" or not are best left to other forums outside of the Café'... Any posts on this topic will be deleted starting now. This is NOT negotiable.

hypnoticmandy, as far as I'm concerned you are entitled to any belief you want. You can choose to ignore thousands of scientific papers and studies that indicate the reality of hypnosis. That's up to you. However, this forum is NOT for that discussion and I won't debate it. Take it elsewhere, please.

Lee, it appears you have deleted at least one post questioning the reality of hypnosis (thank you!) and I would respectfully request that should any more posts by anyone get into a debate about this that you delete them, too.

Thank you.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9994 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Agreed. This is not the place.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Just because you can hypnotize someone, doesn't mean you will keep them on stage for the duration of the show. Sometimes all they are good at, is responding to "sleep!"

However, what you're describing has happened so frequently (I've heard) in Andrew Newton's shows, you have to wonder whether he now deliberately sets it up to happen.

Quote:
On 2013-03-10 09:01, hypnofande wrote:
That's interesting that someone commented earlier that Andrew Newton doesn't believe in hypnosis or that it is real. I saw his show in Leeds last week and I was a little surprised that he was asking people to leave the stage if he didn't think they were suitable for the show (after a 75 minute induction - yes, you read that right) without actually taking them out of trance. One woman became unresponsive when she returned to her seat and her worried friends had to call him down later in the show to take her out of trance.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
The answer is no. Neither is it important if the hypnotist themselves believe hypnosis to be real or not.
In the therapy room it's better, I feel, if the therapist understands 'the state' through personal experience. That is the claim by the majority and one I would agree with.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
hypnofande
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of hypnofande
Thanks quicknotist. I thought it strange that Andrew didn't tell the woman something along the lines of "... and when you leave the stage all hypnosis will be removed and you'll be back to your normal self in every way" which I've seen happen at other shows. He simply told her to sit down so perhaps it was deliberate. I've seen his shows twice and he spent over an hour on the induction which I felt was totally excessive.
Hypnosis - it's all in the imagination...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Should 'you' be easy to hypnotize? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL