The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Rubberbands sending me round the bend! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
Hi guys

Before I start I will just say that I have done a lot of searching around the Café for this but there are so many answers I still could not pick one out.

I'm looking around at the moment for either a book or a DVD on rubberband magic. I have wittled it down to a few different options but I can't make a final decision as I know very little about this topic.

A bit of a background I have been a card man for my entire magic career but off the back of some comments during and after some of my performances I have started to branch out. Now I do cards, sponge balls, cups and balls a few other assorted little things and I want to add rubberbands in there somewhere. I have only ever done one rubber band trick in my life so I have no idea what is good in this area.

So here is where you come in. Which would you suggest getting? 'Extreme Rubber Band Magic' by Joe Rindfleisch, 'Band Shark' by Dan Harlan, The 'Magic with Rubber Bands' series by Dan Harlan or 'Rubber Band Magic' by Greg Morelan.

Or are these all band. Regardless of my choice I was thinking of getting one or both of the elastrix books. So here are some more questions. If I get one of those DVD's is it really worth my money to get the books or is just the same stuff in a different way? If I do get the books should I get both or just one? Which one should I get if I only get one?

As you can see I am very lost for decisions here and very spoiled for choice. Thanking you in advance.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Moyle,

I got my start in rubber band magic with the Band Shark by Dan Harlan. This is a fantastic tape and is what made Dan Harlan's name synonymous with rubber band magic.

I later got the Harlan rubber band series. It has everything on it, much more than one will ever use in a lifetime.

I'm not very familiar with the Rindfleisch (have heard it's a bit more advanced)or Morelan material. I'm sure they are both good.

If I were starting out again, I'd get the Band Shark.

Just my 2 cents. Mark.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5350 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I agree with Mark regarding Bandshark as my first choice. This is a great introduction (not that there aren't others [notably Ammar's], but given the choices in your post...). I also love the Rubber Band Magic series, mostly because it focuses on full routines rather than individual effects. Joe Rindfleish has some very clever material too, but I feel that I got the bigger bang for my particular style from the Harlan tapes.

Of the two Elastrix books most definitely stick to the second in the series. This is all Rindfleisch material, and clearly the best of the two. It takes some careful study to get some of the set-ups down, but well worth it.

Additionally, don't forget to look up Harry Lorayne's "Snap," or "Snap Plus."

Best of luck!
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

That's great guys. Thank you very much. I would like a few more opinions if people have them? I think one more vote for band shark and I'm getting it on the next plane out here! Smile

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2104 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Of the Harlan material, I have Bandshark and Magic with Rubberbands Vol. 1. While Bandshark is definitely a keeper, I preferred the Magic with Rubberbands tape.

With the reputations that both Harlan and Rindfleish have, I'd say that it really seems hard to go wrong with whatever you choose.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Just incase you were wondering I ordered band shark and elastrix vol 2 last night thanks for the help guys its been great.

Moyle
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I think you will be really happy when everything arrives. The Band Shark has a lot of great stuff on it that will serve you well. Enjoy!

Mark.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dan Harlan is rubber band magic 101, but be careful with your choices after Dan, and Joe there are some one trick ponies recomended here at the Café that might disapoint you.
A WORD TO THE WISE
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Thanks Al that is something that I didn't know and I am sure it will be useful information. I think I might of received my package today I can't wait to get home and rip off the wrapper! I just want to finish work now but its only 9:30 DAM YOU ELECTRONIC INTERNET TRACKING AND YOUR LETTING ME KNOW INSTANTLY WHEN I SHOULD BE RECEIVING MY PACKAGE WAYS!!!

Moyle
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I have "Bandshark" and Elastrix vol 1 and 2 by Joe Rindfleisch.
and I can't recommend them enough.a LOT of great stuff.
good luck !

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
But where to go after them I wonder?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Vinny Marini, Vince Mendoza, Alan Wong, Russ Niedzwircki, Daniel Garcia, and Joe Rindfleisch's DVD.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5350 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Al's got it right (as usual). BTW... Elastrix I is not Joe's. It was written by Ed Mishell and Abe Hurwitz. It's also good, but of the two I would give much higher marks to Elastrix II (Joe's material).
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Just thought I'd add my two cents in here.

I have the Dan Harlan "Magic with Rubber Bands" on video tape. Can't recommend it enough for the beginner. Learned a few tricks in there that really blew some of my friends away.

Also, L&L Publishing has the #3 vhs tape in the series for sale at $10 as well as the #4 from his Premium Blend series. Just look under the heading of specials at:

http://www.llpub.com
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I second vinny marini and daniel garcia's rubberband material

-Matt
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
I just received Greg Moreland's rubberband DVD. I highly recommend it to anyone new to rubberband magic (e.g. beginners). Greg Moreland works on a cruise ship and the first DVD (it's a two DVD set) shows him performing impromptu rubberband magic for friends, co-workers, and various groups of passengers. The second DVD consists of clear explanations of those tricks as well as many hints and tips. The tricks explained are not new. They are the typical rubberband tricks commonly performed and found on other videos (e.g. CMHC, Traveling Cash, thumb penetration, band up the nose, etc.) However, the selection and explanations comprise a great introduction to rubberband magic.

Joe
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Could you maybe post a table of contents of this DVD please?
would really appreciate it.
thanks

-Matt
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

I got bandshark and I am really happy with it. I even worked a few of the tricks into my working reptoire almost immedaitely its got some really great stuff. As simply as it is I really like the rubber band sorting trick I have had some strong reactions from that baby.

Moyle
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Glad you like the Bandshark DVD. I still use the sorting trick almost every time I do rubber band effects. Although a simple trick, it does get some good reactions from the spectators.

Mark.
fmpilot
View Profile
Loyal user
of a fence with
243 Posts

Profile of fmpilot
Moyle, once you get comfortable with your bandwork, you should check out Chris Kenner's Missing Link routine. It is in his book "Totally Out of Control". It gets great reactions...

BTW, Bandshark was a smart purchase.
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Rubberbands sending me round the bend! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL