The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Problems With Fanning Manipulation Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Hope you ladies and gents can help me out. I use Bee brand cards for manipulation; i.e. split fans, single card productions, etc. I have noticed on my used and broken in cards after powdering they just don't fan as well, even after putting them into a card press. I have never seen this problem before. Do I try more fanning powder? Are they just worn out and need to be replaced? Has anyone else had this problem?

David Williams
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try putting more powder and use a little bit more finger and thumb pressure on the cards when you are fanning them.
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
Sometimes in the summer I have noticed that my cards feel stickier.
I assume it is caused by the high humidity here in the south, but it is just a guess.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
James,

Thank you for your response. I will give it a try, although I have a feeling MK is right about the humidity her in the Southern part of the US.

Again, James and MK thank you for your help.

David Williams
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I had the same problem. Jeff Sheridan told me fanning powder should not be use on cards today because they have a silicone coating on them. The powder just clumps up. If you scrape off the coating, the powder gets into the card but it ruins the spring in the card. We spent a day experimenting and the best solution was no powder and lots of breaking in.

Good luck.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I agree with Sheridan. I use Red Bee's in my act and I haven't used fanning powder in years. I think the main thing is to keep the cards clean and pressed.

Levent
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Many fanning decks need fanning powder because they aren't given a finish. Some manipulation cards need it, too. As an example, Nielson's "Deluxe" cards have fanning powder in the finish, but his "Ultra Thin" cards have none. (Btw - Even though his site says "not requiring any powder" for the "Deluxe," I have had to touch mine up.)
Regular cards, such a Bees, don't need powder at all. Like Cardone said, they just need "lots of breaking in." Once I got to where the finish had worn completely off, I found powder didn't help much. So, I would suggest new cards.

Breaking in new cards is a hassle, but it builds hand strength! Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22456 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must disagree with the above postings for not powdering cards such as Bee Brand cards. Powder slows down the un-controllable slick finish of the cards. Giving better control to the performer.

As for your problem of the cards not fanning well after a lot of use. You probablygot them dirty. Even though you cannot see the dirt and the powder, it is there. That is why if you wish to continue using the same cards, you need to use a cotton ball and wipe-off each card on both sides. Change the cotton ball when it becomes dirty or imbedded with powder.

Then re-powder again. They should work well for you.

MK Magic is correct that a high humidity area does effect the cards and powder. Living in Indiana, our summers are very humid and less powder is the solution. Powdering the cards, then wipeing each off to where it looks like they do not have any powder on them.

Hope this helps!
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
I had the same problem with my Bees. I powdered them when they were new and didn't like the way they felt. Gradually the powder wore off and they were fine. I recently powdered the older cards again because they weren't fanning smoothly and the powder made the problem worse. I think it's time to break in some new cards. I also picked up the Nielsen Deluxe Manipulation Cards that say they don't require powder, but when you open the pack and use them there is clearly powder on them that will probably require a little refreshing after a while. These cards lack the surface texture of the Bees, however, which I think makes a big difference in whether the powder is helpful or harmful.
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Bill,

Thank you for your post. You are truly a weath of information. As this forum has progressed, with a lot of trial and error, I kind of did what you have suggested. What I did was wipe the old cards down with a cotton ball, repowered with another cotton ball and put them in a card press. I also threw away some of the cards that were dog eared and torn. I also revisted Tony Clark's Manipulation Video and he did exactly what you have recommended and he is using Norm Nielson cards. He also went on to say he goes through this with his cards after every 8-10 performances and gets a lot of life out of his cards.

By the way, I did my manipulation act last night at a talent show and it went very well (got a standing "O").

This has been a very productive forum.

Thank You All,
David Williams
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
One thing that I discovered over the years is that if you have a broken-in deck of manipulation cards and if you discard a damaged card or lose a few cards. You cannot take a card from a new deck and add it to the broken-in pack. If you do that the cards just don't fan correctly.

So what I do is take two decks of red backed Bees and I shuffle both decks together and I break them all in at the same time.

I then count off 56 cards (which is the required number for my card routine) and use them in my act.

After the show I clean the dirt off of the used card and faro shuffle the Act deck together with the remaining stock of cards. Then I put all of the cards (two decks) in a Nielsen card press.

Now when I set up my act for another show, I remove the cards from the press and I count off 56 cards for use in the act. After which I add those cards to the others stock.

This way I insure that all (two decks worth) of cards are worn at the same rate.

And when I damage a card, I can remove it from the pack without being a few cards short.

Over time when I have lost most of my reserve cards, I purchase two more decks of Bees and start the process over again.

Best regards,
Levent
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I found out the problem with powder by using it on bills. When it first goes on the bills/cards are more stickier. The best way to use the powder is to sprinkle a little on the back. Next rub the front of another card against the one with powder on it. Rub each one together hard face to back for about 10 seconds. Do this to the front and back of every card. Shake off the excess powder after rubbing each one. This makes a very thin slick and smooth coating. It does hold for a while. It makes it easier for practicing. Your hand is getting the excersise. After a while you will get use to it, not needing anymore powder.

One day I was headed to a magic shop to perform bill manipulation. I could not perform it so smooth. I found out because I had the bills stored in my pocket on the way there. It is best to keep your cards in a dry location especially before performing.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
You may try waxing your cards.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 20:19, Dynamike wrote:
I found out the problem with powder by using it on bills. When it first goes on the bills/cards are more stickier. The best way to use the powder is to sprinkle a little on the back. Next rub the front of another card against the one with powder on it. Rub each one together hard face to back for about 10 seconds. Do this to the front and back of every card. Shake off the excess powder after rubbing each one. This makes a very thin slick and smooth coating. It does hold for a while. It makes it easier for practicing. Your hand is getting the excersise. After a while you will get use to it, not needing anymore powder.

One day I was headed to a magic shop to perform bill manipulation. I could not perform it so smooth. I found out because I had the bills stored in my pocket on the way there. It is best to keep your cards in a dry location especially before performing.

I encountered these problems very early on and haven't used the powder in years.

Then wax.

No deal either.

Regular Bees is the way to do it. Break them in and house your special little packet in their own case after throwing the rest out.

And wash your hands before working with your special little packet Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Darkwing, you were given different methods. It is best to try each one. Continue with whatever fits you best.
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
I agree, keeping your hands clean is a big part of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Problems With Fanning Manipulation Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL