The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How often do you let your rabbit out of the cages (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
I was wondering if anyone has any bunnies how often do you let them out of the cgae to run around?

I let mine get out around 3 times per week. Sometimes I feel bad for them and wish I had a real large cage for them to be in all the time. The one I have them in now is about 4 feet long and 2 wide.

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Normally, everyday I let my rabbit out to just walk around a little bit. She follows me around the yard, and sometimes will just stretch out to relax. She is 8 years old, however, and the energy level is not what it used to be, but she is a sunbather.

It's good that you are letting your rabbit out though as many times as you are. They need to stretch and exercise. On the other hand, you don't want to let your rabbit out and run around ALL the time because then when you use the rabbit in the act, the rabbit may take off all over the place.

There are pro's and con's, but remember that the rabbit is a pet, not a prop, so care is the most important. If you show your rabbit care, it will give it back in return. That is why my rabbit follows me around the yard so much. *smile* Good luck!
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
318 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
I was going to make similar post to this. Except about doves. Do any of you guys let your unclipped doves out and free?

I have one that I do this with. I let him even fly from tree to tree. I've only started this a week or two ago, but it seems ok. I let him run on the ground too. Just need to watch out for cats.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hm...letting doves out in the open can be tricky. I don't clip any of my doves, so they can all fly, but when I want them to "have a good time" and fly around, I take them to the garage, with the door closed, and let them fly around for a while to get some exercise. The only problem I can see with letting them jump from tree to tree is that if the bird flies away, it is more likely that it will not come back. Another issue is that if a predator is nearby (ie..a hawk or vulture), it may swoop down and take the dove with it. Also, if doves get used to being in trees, and you are outdoors doing a show, instead of a low flight, they will head for the trees, and then the odds of getting the dove are not good. That is just my take on it, but I am sure others will have there own...
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
My bunny usually gets out one - four times a day depending on how busy I am. Sometimes if I am really busy he may only get out every other day.
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
318 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
My bunny now has full roam of the bathroom. He pees 99.9% of the time in his litter box. I leave his cage door open. Needless to say, he spends most of his time inside it except on weekends when we travel to see my better half. I leave the cage at home.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
At home, our rabbits stay in their hutches. They are large enough for them to bink in and have different level shelves , tunnels and boxes to keep them occupied and happy.

On the road, they are confined to regulation carriers while traveling and at the venues. To compensate, they get the run of the hotel room for an hour or so following the show. They often will find their own way back into their carriers by then to bed down for the night.

Rob
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Cool, thanks all.
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
My daugher lets our bunny out once a day, and I try to let her out about 12 hours later (we try to let her run around at least 30 min each time).
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Doves free outside can become a quick meal for a hawk even in urban areas and especially in suburbs. Depending on the species of hawk, they look for city pigeons as prey and a white dove would be like taking candy from a baby...be cautious.
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 07:33, JSBLOOM wrote:
My bunny now has full roam of the bathroom. He pees 99.9% of the time in his litter box. I leave his cage door open. Needless to say, he spends most of his time inside it except on weekends when we travel to see my better half. I leave the cage at home.

I think I'm going soft I want a house BUNNY! LOL...
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-22 19:55, The Hitchhiker wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 07:33, JSBLOOM wrote:

I think I'm going soft I want a house BUNNY! LOL...

Not impossible, but make sure ALL Of your wires are out of sight, and also make sure that all wooden areas are made secure by covering with plastic, etc.. Rabbits love to chew wires and wood, of course.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Quote:
Not impossible, but make sure ALL Of your wires are out of sight, and also make sure that all wooden areas are made secure by covering with plastic, etc.. Rabbits love to chew wires and wood, of course.

I sure will I heard that about rabbits and cables, before I thought it was just dogs I shall never forget my friends dog flying across the room backwards, luckily no permanent damage to the dog came about, ive had 240v myself it's not nice and I don't think a rabbit would survive.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I let mine stay on a 6x3 foot table. The cage is on top of it too. He is trained to go in the cage when he needs to potty. The rest of the time he stays out on the table. I was thinking about making him a ramp so he can come to the floor.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
My rabbit is out every day in a designated hallway to run around for an hr with his litter pan available to him! then he goes back to his cage for a couple of hrs then he gets out for more run time in the afternoon for about another hr! he goes back to the pen then he lays on the bed with me for 45 mins running around on the bed and cuddle time!
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
Mine goes out every day in our greenhouse.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm finally thinking of getting a rabbit, but I live in an apartment. Any advice or experience with this anyone? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
We just moved into an apt. with our rabbit. We let her out everyday, anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours. She gets to stretch out & run around with no problems. Apartment or house let the rabbit get some freedom from the cage. We just keep our rabbit comfined to 1 room & she knows to stay in 1 room.

Mark
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
My Rabbit also is out everyday.... A lot of times she will be sitting on my lap when I watch tv. She can jump onto the couch herself and make herself comfortable. She is also litter box trained and will use it 100% of the time.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How often do you let your rabbit out of the cages (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL