The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Press kit--any advice and Banner advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I am working on putting together a press kit, so I can start getting some local gigs. I just was to perform for fun. Remember, I am not a professional, but I am looking to hone my skills in front of an audience and one day make it a regular profession. Any ideas on how I can easily put together a kit? What should be included. I have some great photos and I am thinking of hiring someone off of Craig's List. What if I don't have any good video? Care to share any thoughts?

I am also thinking of having a Sideshow Banner made. I'd like to incorperate the fact that I am a Doc, but I also don't want to be known as "Doctor Pain" or "The Physician Magician" or some such goofy, nonsense (I am thinking of Doctor Freakshow--is that taken?). I need some crossover, but I don't want patients to be like, "Hey, I know you--you're that Doctor Pain guy". Any thoughts from my friends on the Café?

Feel free to PM me.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"Doc Shock"?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The Doc angle is a good one. You could choose an obviously fake name, like Doctor Freakshow, Doctor Pain, or Doc Shock (I love the way that sounds). Or, you could pick something that works on stage but is not obviously fake (like Dr. Wilson).

Choose carefully! Your stage name, your logo, your banner, all should work together to establish your "brand." I find it inspirational to look through the old posters and broadsides in Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women and similar historical sources.

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Let's hear it for onomatopoeia!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
POW!!! BANG!!! POP!!! WHOOSH!!!
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Dr. Wilson, your suggestion of "Dr. Shock" is quite good! I think one of my problems may be a lack of focus, since I do more than sideshow. "Shock" is great because you can shock someone many different ways--mentalism can be shocking, card magic can be shocking, walking on glass is certainly shocking. So...that is actually a pretty great suggestion.

I was discussing this with my friends tonight. We came up with some names and tags that we thought were simply hilarious (and we weren't drunk). Just to share them with you:

1) The Dirty S*****z! (of course, written in the corners in bold letters)...ALIVE....ONSTAGE

That might attract the wrong crowd with a different set of expectations....

My favorite:

2) Cacahuetes, the Competent Conjurer (tag line: "He was just ok".). Cacahuetes is spanish for "peanuts" by the way. Why peanuts, I dunno, it just sounds so funny when you say it out loud.

I found the concept, laugh-out-loud funny. It lends itself well to lots of comedic schtick...but I am not sure I am headed that route.

Of course, there was the obligatory, "The Great....." With the blank filled in as either, Martini, Linguini, Panini. Yawn.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
PLEEEEEZE don't become another -ini, or a Great... There are too many of them already. It's bad enough to be lost in the shuffle, but to have also created it?

www.bladewalker.com
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
No. -"ini" and "Great" were just for laughs. As a professional, they are a "yawn".
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Dick Dildo Man Of Danger!

What ever you do on the banner..keep it free of clutter and overuse of text.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Doc Duck, Man With a Bill! That could be an interesting banner.

And since you do some magic, you could do a torn and restored medical bill...it just keeps coming back, no matter WHAT you do.

And a bill burn. Bill in liver.

Doc Duke, Royal Pain!

Doc Deck, Human Card! He never gets lost in the shuffle!

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Doctor Death and Doctor Blood have both done well here in the UK.
My own real Doctor is Doctor Dick!!!! Honest its Dr Dick Morris.(Maybe its a UK funny?).

Ken.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Not that I want to take the focus from Jeremy in any way - but...

I have a name and that kind of stuff, still, I am currently workin on a new press kit and am thinking about chaing my logo since it doesn't work for me any more. I'd love some ideas of what could be on a logo - just brainwave, eh no, brainstorm different things, objects etc that could be incorperated into a logo. Aslo: what does your promo kits contain?

Thanks!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Jeremy-
You said you don't have any good video...
Does that mean you have no video, or no video's that are good enough beginning to end to use? Nowadays, a video of some sort is critical to sell yourself. Whether you send a physical DVD or do it all by E-mail.
I would never send or link to a video of my entire show. It is always just a single section, maybe a five minute segment from one of my shows, or a music video type montage. Something to give them the flavor of your shows without giving it all to them. 2 reasons for that.
1- People do not have the patience to watch an entire stage show on a video. People want the critical information quickly so they can move on. A video should show that you are entertaining, able to grab attention and look professional.
2- Why would they want to hire a show that they have already seen? If you give them a whole show in a video, you have no secrets left, no surprises, so what is the point?
So, if you have a whole lot of video, and out of that whole lot you can find 5 good minutes, edit it together into a montage.
It works.
Gwyd
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Gack. I apologize for not crediting Harley. Clearly his first post was the Doc Shock suggestion. thank you Harley. After much discussion, I think I am going with "The Shock Doc"!

Vice Versa....

Doug: I am declining on any sex toy references at this time.

Gwyd:
I have video--it just needs to be re-shot and edited. Clearly, I would not send anyone the whole show (remember, one of the considerations was "the Competent Conjurer--he's just ok). I agree, a montage is the way to go. Probably even 5 min, might be a bit much. Good advice!

All:
I have spent a bit of time reviewing ALL of the sideshowworld performer links. Some of you hvae some great sites! Uhhh, and a lot of you even scare me. So, nice goin', I guess.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Press kit--any advice and Banner advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL