The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » GREED Gimmick Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have a question about creating the Gimmick before I sit down to make it:

What is the best adhesive??

D. Garcia talks about using some sort of tape, but can you use a Glue Stick or Rubber Cement instead (I have those 2 items sitting around the house)??. . . Both of which are very strong and virtually permanent, let alone easy to apply to the WHOLE surface-- right to the ends of each of the pieces.

Thanks
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I made one last week using rubber cement and it came apart almost immediately. Use the tape he mentions, its easy to find.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
The tape/glue stuff that he mentions is very easy to find, and I find myself using it more and more.
It's made by Tombo, and it's called "mono adhesive". It comes in one of those little things that white-out comes in now, where you roll it across the paper and it comes off the spool.

You can get it at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have the manuscript for GREED only (NOT the DVD). In the manuscipt he does not explain how to apply this mono adhesive stuff onto the pieces-- just "apply it". If it is like tape, how much is used on each piece?? Do you cover the whole piece or just around the ends. . . or what??
magiczim
View Profile
New user
Philly
67 Posts

Profile of magiczim
I made mine with spray adhesive. It works very well, and allows Greed to be changed when needed. so far, nothing has happened to mine.

_Zim
"We live within the recreation of others" - René Lavand
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Now THAT's a GREAT IDEA. . . Spray Adhesive!!

Magiczim-- You definitely look outside the box!!

Did you spray 1 side and then attach it, or you needed to spray both sides?? A thin coat or lathered on?? Let dry before sticking to each other??

Thanks so much. Plus, I would imagine this makes the bill even thinner than with a piece of "tape" sandwiched in the pieces.
magiczim
View Profile
New user
Philly
67 Posts

Profile of magiczim
I sprayed both sides and let them dry a little bit before attaching. Make sure not to spray too much, or the soggyness of the bill will be a big issue with the adhesion. After spraying, let sit for about 1-2 mins, then attach. If you make a mistake, then you only have a short period to fix it, so be careful. The spray also helps with allowing the bill to fold without any restrictions that other methods would have caused. Hope this helps.

_Zim
"We live within the recreation of others" - René Lavand
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Hey MagicZim,

I tried spraying some of the Spray Adhesive (Elmer's Brand) as a dry-run on the leftover remnants. On the good side, it holds like STEEL. On the bad side, any area that gets exposed of the spray (on the portion of the $1 that does not get attached to anything) remains STICKY and very SHINY.

There is no way to remove the sprayed adhesive.

Again, I think this is still a wonderful alternative and applied in the right manner, the gimmick will remain thinner than with a "tape" of some sort. This would give the gimmick more flexibility, both physically and utilization-wise for many more possibilities for the gimmick-- New ideas. . . New patter. . . New routines.

I still want to do a few more dry-runs (on regular paper now) to be reassured of not ruining the good-run.

Any other tips from you or anyone who has tried and perhaps was as successful as MagicZim??

Regards
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
The bonus of using the tape is that it strengthens the bills. The gimmick you took so long to make will last longer.

BTW, I used Scotch Brand double sided permanent tape.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Well. . . I made the Gimmick........FINALLY!!!!

I used a product called "Vellum Adhesive Runner" by a company called: Therm O Web. It is clear and used for transparencies. It is located in Wal-mart in the "Scrapbooking" aisle and sells (at least in NJ) under $5.

What it actually is, is the clear gum substance that is on permanent Scotch Tape. It is dispensed the same as that Mono-adhesive product in kinda "roll-on applicator dispenser". It is NOT a tape, which is what I exactly didn't want it to be--- JUST THE TACKY GUMMY STUFF!!!

It worked like a gem!! It is permanent, but it can come apart with some tugging when making the gimmick if the pieces are not straight. When you are happy with it, just pressed on the areas firmly. The Gimmick, when completed using this adhesive, is THIN as could be. I am working on it to fit into a TT for further ideas for effects to suit my style better.

Presentation of Daniel's handling?? I did it twice for each of my parents (who know what to look for). . . I cleaned their drool off their chins.

Whatever adhesive you choose. . . GREED is a stunner and well worth the price and time in making the gimmick.

Thanks to you once again, Daniel. . . I think I am going to amaze more people with this effect while waiting for FRAUD of yours.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » GREED Gimmick Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL