We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Starting out with Fakini! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Hiya guys...

I just took possesion of a great set of House of Fakini, Tournemet Multiplying Silicone Balls...

I got them at a GREAT price and I'm jazzed to have this prop!

I'm using, as a base of operations, Mark Wilson's Complete Course for basic moves...

The questions are thus:

Other than frequent handling of the balls, is there any other way to eliminate the slickness of the silicone balls (I know, from experience with Silicone Juggling balls, that they will aquire a 'satine' sheen and better grip with time)...

Also, the Sh#ll seems to be 'sticking' when nested with a ball...Are there any 'pro tips' to help eliviate this...Will baby powder help? Anything else?

So far my practice sessions have yielded acceptable results...I'm learning the moves slowly, adapting where necessary and adjusting...My main hurdle to this point is the streching of the fingers to accomodate the size of the balls, but that is something that will naturalize with time, I'm assuming...

I've searched the various threads and haven't found these issues discussed, so any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would LOVE to be able to Master this prop and add it to my repretoir..

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Hi Piper,
I have used Fakini 2 1/4" special order balls for years. It takes some time to work your hands out to hold them without feeling like your fingers are being pulled of your hands. As far as the slickness. right before a show I was the balls and my hands with Dawn dish soap. It removes any oils or substance that causes the slickness. Atleast it works for me. As far as the shell being tight. I always enjoyed that. I can toss it up or what ever and it appears to be a single ball and no fear of losing the gaff. With a little hand work you learn to loosing it up before you need to use it and to "tighten" it back when not using it. They really are the best balls out there. Just keep working at it. and the Wilson course you mentioned is good but I suggest Burling Hulls expert ball manipulation and further expert ball manipulation. There is a lot of stuff in there you will never use but if you learn it you will be able to do the other stuf a lot more gracefully. And just learning some of the moves in there is excellent hand exercise.Goodluck,
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Oh yeah one way to help with the stretching of the fingers is to put a ball between each finger close to the tips. Then push them towards the base of the fingers until you feel the tension or stretch (do not make it hurt) but you will feel it stretching. Just hold them there for 30 seconds. Give your hand a short rest and do it again. Do that a few times throught out the day and after a week you should really feel a difference. Hand exercise helps so much when it comes to doing good manipulation.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Thanks for the great advice London!

I'll give your stretching techniques a shot and let you know how they go! I think I'll get the Wilson routine down then see if I can hunt down your resource suggestion as well.

Thanks again!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
If you don't want the Fakini shell to stick to the ball, I suggest you do the following:

Get a small circle of felt, about the same diameter as a dime and glue it to the inside center of the shell. This felt disc keeps the shell from fully seating on the ball, thus preventing them from sticking together.

For the inside of my shells, I went to the Dollar Store and purchased a pack of those self-adhesive felt discs that are commonly stuck under vases and lamps to prevent them from marring the surface of a table.

For the record: This is a very old procedure.

Great manipulators from the past such as Roy Benson commonly did this kind of modification to their wooden billiard ball sets.

Not to prevent the shell from sticking to the ball. But to keep the ball and shell from "talking" when they made contact.

Best regards,
Levent
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Shimada has a Billiard Ball routine in his Teach In Manipulation Series DVD. It's had some good reviews. When I saw him peform the Multiplying Balls, I entirely forgot how they work (having several sets of my own!) and just watched in awe. Now that's good magic!

Terry, believe it or not, but to this day I prefer the old wooden German sets.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
The slickness has causes me problems before. Even after washing them, they'll "slip" out of palm because your hands naturally produce oil when being worked. I've found that just a touch of fanning powder on your hands works well, in addition to washing them. The best way to get the right amount is to play with fanning decks, using the powder of course, before using the balls. I've heard some people use a gripping creme that helps athletes to grip clubs, bats, and rackets, but I haven't tried it.
In addition to the stretching procedure London mentioned, performing the "ball roll" (think of a coin roll) helps a lot. Interlacing your fingers and pushing away from your body is great also. You'll usually crack a few knuckles, though!
As far as the ball sticking in the shell, you get used to it. Like London, I like that I can toss the ball without it separating.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys!

I have TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF this week! In a ROW, no less!!

I'll definately be playing with 'my Magic' the next couple of days...

It's funny, in a way...I am in a position where I think about, perform, sell, and learn Magic every day...Working in a chain of Magic Shops (3) in a very busy tourist area is a unique position to be in, no doubt about it...

BUT:

I spend the majority of my time working on the Magic that we sell, not the Magic that may interest me...And to explain things, YES we are 'real' Magic shops, but we cater to the tourist public, so many of the things we sell are the self-working, time tested, laymen pleasers...

I have a Svengahli routine that would kill most of you (2 years in development and practice)
Several Scotch and Soda routines....
Hoping Halves
Coin Squeeze
etc...

It's such a charge and BOOST to be able to work on MY stuff on days off, as rarely as they may come!

Again, thanks for all the advice and help! I can COMPLETELY believe, Randy, that you have and use wooden multipling balls...That's class, and you are nothing BUT class pal!

Off to multiply some balls:

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Levent...

Thank you so much for your post and advice!

Wanted to add and point out another thing though:

Thanks for the tidbit of Magic history and Lore...I love to learn about the history of the Arts I perform and your little addition made my day...

Sincerely,

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Despite his busy schedule, Levent still pops in even while away from home and helps out. He's a working Pro and knows what he's talking about.

I know I owe him. Smile

Terry have you seen Brett Daniels do his Multiplying Balls routine? It's a whopper! I understand he also used a set (no longer manufactured over dispute of originator and rights) that has an adaptation to the s**ll which in the right hands is just a miracle to behold.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I do not currently own any Fakinis (I will be getting some soon), however in Tim Wrights Video he explains that sometime the shell does stick..

He suggests squeezing it slightly to unnest the ball in performance. I have never tried it but it seems as though it would work.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-21 22:31, RandyStewart wrote:
Despite his busy schedule, Levent still pops in even while away from home and helps out. He's a working Pro and knows what he's talking about.

I know I owe him. Smile

Terry have you seen Brett Daniels do his Multiplying Balls routine? It's a whopper! I understand he also used a set (no longer manufactured over dispute of originator and rights) that has an adaptation to the s**ll which in the right hands is just a miracle to behold.

Hey Randy...

I actually DID get to see Brett's routine 2 years ago here in Branson, and you are right...It IS a whopper! It was my favorite part of his show, actually!

I'll be working on this prop for a while I think....I want it to be classy and amazing...

So, lot's of work ahead of me!

Terry
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Just to check in with you guys...

I've been doing the stretching exercises a couple times a day, and I've noticed a DEFINATE difference in the ease of handling the balls! So THANKS!

As for manipulating them...It's slow going, but I'm getting results...I'm somewhat of a perfectionist (I eat fire, so I kinda HAVE to be, ya know?) so I take things on a slow and steady rate...

I just thought I'd drop in to say thanks again and that the help you guys have given is paying off...

Which is exactly what the Café is for, huh?

Thanks again Steve...You are making Magic and don't even realize it all!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Glad to hear things are coming along. Keep to it.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Oh absolutely London!

Once I get my head set on aquiring a skill-set, I'm determined!...Plus this is a lot of fun I've discovered...

I mean, it even looks Magical to ME in the mirror! This is an aspect that I'm digging a lot...

My thought process now, as I'm gaining the moves, is developing a story to go along with WHY I'm multiplying the balls...All of my routines have MEANING, not just the end result...

So now the story building begins!

Thanks again guys!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Quote:
On 2006-08-20 11:30, Levent wrote:
If you don't want the Fakini shell to stick to the ball, I suggest you do the following:

Get a small circle of felt, about the same diameter as a dime and glue it to the inside center of the shell. This felt disc keeps the shell from fully seating on the ball, thus preventing them from sticking together.

For the inside of my shells, I went to the Dollar Store and purchased a pack of those self-adhesive felt discs that are commonly stuck under vases and lamps to prevent them from marring the surface of a table.

For the record: This is a very old procedure.

Great manipulators from the past such as Roy Benson commonly did this kind of modification to their wooden billiard ball sets.

Not to prevent the shell from sticking to the ball. But to keep the ball and shell from "talking" when they made contact.

Best regards,
Levent

What agreat tip!
Thank you Levent
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
In regards to the qoute in the last post. Yes it is a fantastic tip in terms of the part regarding Mr. Benson and preventing the balls from "talking" but Fakini balls wouldn't talk if you tried. I highly recommend letting them stick in the shell and learning how to get them out when you need to. There will be a lot of good things to come of it. When you have just one fakini ball and a shell . if they are "stuck" you can treat them as one solid ball without worry of losing the shell at the wrong time. And lots of more great advantages you will discover by trial and error only. But if you are using wooden balls the felt will help some.
But noting will help you more than endless practice.

Now Mr. Piper in response to your last post about your thought process and story building. The silent script will be your best friend when it comes to manipulation acts. Silent scripts are key when developing reasoning and story. Do not be afraid to talk to yourself (out loud) a lot while learning and practicing . Hearing your story and scripting while writing it will save you some time and heart ache. But Idon't think you need advice as uch as you think you do. You sound like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work.

THOUGHTfully,
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

London...

Thank you so much for your very kind words and advice!

I think I am following your thought process and understand what you are telling me...I might need to clarify something that, due to it being second nature to me, I neglect to make apparent...

When I talk about building a story, I'm including in this process music...My 3 ball juggling routine, for example...I say NOTHING during this 10 minute exibition...The music and the movement speaks for itself....So when I say, "Let the story building beging...", I'm also including what music I will utilize to speak for me...

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear on that...Trust me (or ask my wife) I can be VERY vague at times!

LoL

Thanks again.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Piper,
I understood what you meant. I used music for my ball act aswell. I guess my point was that even with a "silent act" done to music. A script is very helpful. A silent script that plays only in your head. It does not need to be as well written and detailed as a script you would say out loud but it's main purpose is to keep things moving in the right direction and flowing smoothly. There is a lot about this subject and others that would help in the book "Magic and showmanship" by Henning Nelms. But there are no rules what ever works for you is the right thing to do. I would suggest giving the book a read though.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

London...

I'll definately have to try to get this book...Do you know if it is currently in-print or will I have to go through a hard-to-find book source?

Again, thanks for all the tips and encouragement! I just wish I had a way to video my progress and upload it to the Net, unfortunately my camera (VHS-C), coupled with my old computer just can't do it.

Bummer.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Starting out with Fakini! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL