The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Took the Fakini plunge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Wow - been looking at them for several years at Denny & Lee's but figured they would never fit with my style (entertaining toddlers) and besides, I couldn't really get the hang of the old Adams 3/4" wooden balls of my youth. Got the white 1&3/4" set this afternoon knowing that the other sets Denny has'll likely be gone within the next few days as usual, and got home wondering why I just spent $80 on this (plus Ganson's "Routined Manipulation 1&2 and Finale).

Turns out, these Fakini's actually make me want to work on the billiard balls. Just the right size for my hands and very comfortable to handle, and there's more good material in Tarbell. I guess getting the Fakini's is like buying a really good guitar or other instrument, in that, when your tools are in the high-quality class, they make the actual working much easier on the player and worker. You worry less about the construction and physical comfort and can focus on the handling. Plus, the balls should last for a long time, too, and I'm already working on ideas for incorporating these into my programs doing both multiplying and using with silks.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I struggled with the same thing for several months until I finally broke down and paid the money for them. Best money I ever spend on magic. What a value. You can do a lot of moves with the Fakini balls that you would find very difficult with regular balls. Wished I not waited so long.
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
I still have a white set I bought back in high school (I'm 25 now) that still looks great, as well as a magenta set I got several years later. These are still my most prized magical possessions! I have a set of wooden ones as well, and can't imagine having to perform with them.
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I still have my wooden billiard balls but haven't pick them up since I bought the Fakini.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
As stated in my thread, "Starting out with Fakini", you can tell,

I'm REALLY happy with my find.

Add to the fact, that I got them for a song,

Just makes it sweeter!

I'm having a great time learning to manipulate them and I hope you have just as much fun as I am!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Get the Charlie Frye DVD and check out his routine. I believe it is on volume #1, but it could be #2.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Fakini are great the best there is and the best there will be. When buying magic goods always buy the best not the cheapest.

Sam
titus590
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of titus590
Has anyone ever used the Precision Stainless Steel Billiard Balls that Precision Magic is selling? I want to know if they are good.

titus
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Congratulations on your new Fakinis. I took the plunge a couple of months back. I got the multiplying golf balls. I'm using them in a show for the first time this weekend. Very excited. I am doing a routine inspired by Tim Wright's Multiplying Balls. Good luck with them.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Frank, shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
One of the balls in my old set of Fakini's developed a flat spot. I have no idea why. Has anyone else had this problem?

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22826 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fakini guarantees his balls for life, write to him or the dealer you purchased them from for replacement.

Don't complain if you don't take action to resolve the problem!
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Did I appear to be complaining? I already have taken action to resolve the problem. I thought I was asking if anyone else had experienced the problem.

Andy
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-08-31 14:39, Andre Hagen wrote:
Did I appear to be complaining? I already have taken action to resolve the problem. I thought I was asking if anyone else had experienced the problem.

Andy

Andy, I heard similar problems with Fakini ball owners but they manage to clean up the spots. There was a thread somewhere that discussed on this issue.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
James,

I see some posts referring to a "flat" finish, which all the Fakini's acquire with use. The ball in question actually has a flat spot where it is no longer round.

I solved the problem in my own way...by purchasing a new set. They had seen hard use and no longer looked good anyway. I had a habit of bouncing the first ball after its production, and they eventually got beyond cleaning up.

Obviously I don't do this anymore with the new set. I wouldn't ask for a free replacement ball as it wouldn't match the rest of the set. Maybe it sat somewhere too warm.

It's a mystery.

Thanks for trying to help!

Andy
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Dear Andre,
You are not alone with the flat spot. Over the years, I've seen hundreds with what you are talking about. The cause seems to stem from being stored away too long without the ball being shifted or rotated. Gravity on the point of contact seems to take its toll. Keeping the balls out of the tube when not in use really seems to prevent this. Also, if you were to line the area with a thin layer of foam rubber really does make a difference.

The flat spot doesn't hinder it operation. Matter of fact, I know quite a few who still perform full time with fakini billiards that are over 25 year old. Flat spots, nicks or shell lines are not even noticed from a few feet away. As long as the shell is still good and intact, you are good to go.

One last thing, I always recommend that when getting a set of Fakini's that you order an extra shell. That way it is from the same dye lot - and if you trade them in and out between performances they will age the same and if someday the unthinkable happens - you have a back up ready for use.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Signor Blitz,

Thanks for your very informative post. I will take your suggestion to heart and keep the set on foam rubber rather than in the tube when not in use.

The Fakini's are wonderful. I had never considered doing the Multiplying Billiard Balls (in performance) until these beauties came along.

Andy
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 13:28, Andre Hagen wrote:

The Fakini's are wonderful. I had never considered doing the Multiplying Billiard Balls (in performance) until these beauties came along.

Andy

Andy, they are not only wonderful but SUPER to work with. The grip offers so much confidence during the execution of techniques. And they look great from a distance.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I'm a Fakini virgin as well. What is the ideal size? I mostly do parlor, some clsoe up and a little stage.

Thanks!
Dan.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
As I started this thread last year, I'll chime in - I sold my set not long after buying them because I was having unrelated joint pain in my fingers and never got around to using them. They went to a good home, which was a plus.

Recently, when I was at Denny & Lee's, I picked up one of the full-size balls, the 2 1/4" size, and found it actually felt a lot better in my fingers than the smaller balls had. Denny nodded when I told him that, and said, "There's more surface area to work with."

I haven't decided if I'm going to get another set, because I want to be sure my fingers are pain-free, but if I do, I'm probably going to get the 2 1/4"-ers because they are the size of a regulation billiard ball and as I found, are much easier to handle. And they will be Fakini's.

Just my recent thoughts...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Took the Fakini plunge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL