The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it ok to perform a trick apon a gravestone ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Personally...If I have a gravestone, I would welcome magic done on it. But that is just me, not the general public.

In fact...Bring people to do a card trick for me when I've passed.
Force the 9 of Diamonds.
Then have them look at the back of the headstone (Or in the lid of the urn...Whichever I wind up with).
It'll be fun.
And I'll appreciate the company.
Gwyd
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
While the appropriateness of performing a trick upon a gravestone is debatable, what with all the factors that bear consideration -- orientation of said stone, size, shape, the people surrounding it, etc., I think I can safely say that it would never be appropriate to TURN a trick on a gravestone.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I GOT IT--just STEAL a gravestone--do it in your own yard, minus the dead body underneath-PROBLEM SOLVED, CONSCIENCE CLEARED.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Maybe you should ask Bawon Samedi's permission...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Gwyd, "the curse of Scotland?" how appropriate. LOL
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Now, if you did it on YOUR OWN gravestone, THAT would be magick! Smile

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
OR, find a stone cutter who is re-cycling error stones for practice, have him do one for you, with the details you want, and obtain it for far less money than you might otherwise pay!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2006-11-21 00:44, Bill Palmer wrote:
I think I can safely say that it would never be appropriate to TURN a trick on a gravestone.

huh. . . well. . . I never. . . now that's an intriguing idea. . . Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Okay, I know this is incredibly tangential to the discussion, but submitted FWIW:

Many years ago I did some work for a client in SoCal, whose home's entry facade was veneered with hundreds of well-fitted and tightly-grouted granite blocks. The client was exceptionally proud of this stone work, which I duly admired and commented upon. I did not, however, inform her that the blocks were the size and shape of headstones, cut in slices like bread loaves. Evidently the memorial makers make mistakes, and sell their cast-offs to contractors -- though, as far as I know, they were new and unused Smile

Leland
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
The question doth remain: IS IT OK TO PERFORM A TRICK ON A LELANDSTONE??

MUHAHAHAHAHAH----GOD AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF???

:) Smile Smile
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Aw, c'mon, Baba! That was a terrible, awful, horrible pun. But I love it!

ROTFLMAO!

Nal
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
mrsblack
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mrsblack
Hello, I'm new here. I can see it's going to be a wonderful place if the fist topic I see is a question about performing in a graveyard.

...and I thought I was the only one with a lot of gravesite experience!
Mrs Black
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Perhaps there could be a statue of limitations as to when it's considered sacrilegious to play on other peoples headstones or graves - If the deceased has been gone for 90 years, it seems highly unlikely that anyone is still actively mourning. I would not be pleased to see a stranger doing something with my dad's recently erected site, for example (although I'd much rather find a magician and some spectators than a bunch of kids partying !), but a hundred years from now, I won't be around myself to worry about it, and I don't know if anyone would.

Still, there's the matter of respect: I think as long as the site is an old one, and that you are respectful, that is, don't trample or steal any flowers, don't relieve yourself in the cemetary,(hey you never know), don't get rowdy and loud and rude, but rather conduct yourself solemnly as one would expect a bizarrist to do, then there shouldn't be a big hullabaloo over it.
Still, there are some who will always be offended by everything, and chase out a would-be bizarrist with a pichfork in one hand, a torch in the other, screaming "Satanist begone !" or some such thing.
Of course, if, as part of the routine, you were "conjuring" up demons or the Devil at said descendent's grandfather's headstone, then I think he or she might be justified in running a pitchfork up yer chute, especially if the family was deeply religious.
It's a tough call. Somehow, for example, Eugene Burger just comes across as a very benign kind of guy no matter what he does, but not all of us could get away with it like he probably would.

Here's a thought: why not see if you can get the family's permission first ? You never know. They might like the publicity.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
<<<<<<----havin'a weird flashback...

Very funny, Baba...almost as good as the ANCIENT line from gradeschool: "How come your parents didn't name you FLINT?" Or later, in HIGH school: "Heeeeey, Stone...duuuuudddde, are you STOOOONNNNED?"

Just because the name's Stone, don't take me for granite...

:lol:

Leland
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Hiya, Mrsblack!
mrsblack
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mrsblack
Hiya, Mr. Ligon!
As the Tebetian say, "khris".
Mrs Black
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
If you live in an area where there are many old cemeteries and the 'inhabitant's' relatives are probably buried somwhere else any way I would do (may have done) it.
Presenting a bizarre effect should look real and what a better place to add some realism to.
All of the newer or large cemeteries around here have locked gates and close at sunset. I wonder why!!
There are lots of them out in the country though...
I'd say it's a personal choice. As long as the grave site isn't damaged and there's nothing illegal going on I think it's OK.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Ah, great ideas. This would not be a problem for me, but I know people that wouldn't be caught dead doing this
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 13:23, JAlenS wrote:
All of the newer or large cemeteries around here have locked gates and close at sunset. I wonder why!!

That's because people are just dying to get in.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Bill, all the undead that walk the earth are going to congregate at your house and make sure you do not get any sleep if you tell that joke ever ever again. got it...LOL
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it ok to perform a trick apon a gravestone ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL