The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chinese sticks on the street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Does anyone do the Chinese sticks on the street?

A classic of magic, no reset, visual. It would seem like a good trick for the streets. But, I have never heard of anyone doing it on the streets.

I just got some Kovari sticks, so I am working with them and trying to put a good routine together.

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I've done the chinese Sticks in what amounts to street situations, yes. And they play VERY well IF you have a good routine for them.

In fact, it's one of my favorite things to do when working a crowd situation as I have a fun little closer that is a little different than anyone else's that I've seen.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How good is the Greater magic teach-in DVD on this?
I know nothing about it or the routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
FRED KAPS HAD A GREAT ROUTINE
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I haven't seen the Stevens DVD on the Chinese Sticks, but I believe that they missed a bet when they didn't put Jay Marshall's routine with them on there, just like they missed a bet when they didn't put his linking rings routine on their linking rings recording.

BIG mistakes, both, in my humble opinion.

And someone should have gotten Jay's Egg Bagg, too!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I have the dvd. It is good, not great though. Pete Biro and aldo Colombinis routines are pretty good.

I have been working on the sticks and performed them in a hotel lobby gig that I do. It is visual magic and people seem to like the sticks. The effect is puzzling to the audience. Just when the audience thinks they know how it works you eliminate that method. I am not sure the best way to finish the effect though, there isn't an inbuilt climax. Pete Biros idea is probably the best.

No reset, classic visual magic.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for the kind words... BTW the Kaps routine is basically the Roy Benson routine but with Kaps' presenttion/patter.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
THANKS MR. BIRO
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Brian Flora used to use the chinese stick in outdoor performances. Also, Bard Burt has posted about the mini chinese sticks and how he uses them in restaurant situations. So I would say, yes it can be used in other than stage or parlor type venues.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 02:46, Lee Darrow wrote:
I haven't seen the Stevens DVD on the Chinese Sticks, but I believe that they missed a bet when they didn't put Jay Marshall's routine with them on there, just like they missed a bet when they didn't put his linking rings routine on their linking rings recording.

BIG mistakes, both, in my humble opinion.

And someone should have gotten Jay's Egg Bagg, too!

Lee Darrow, C.H.

Lee,
Where (if anywhere) ARE those three routines by Jay available?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Good question. Check with Magic, Inc in Chicago. Jay's material has been overlooked, as have routines from many of chicago's "older greats" like Heba Haba Al, Dorney, Chick Shoke, and a bunch of other guys a lot of people under 50 have never heard of.

I'd LOVE to see footage of Heba Haba Al in his prime, or even from his New York Lounge days or his Pickle Barrel days. Or Tom Palmer (Tony Andruzzi) doing close up. Or Johnny Platt, or Okito (yep, he lived here), De Yip Lou, Bert Allerton, Matt Schulien, or any number of other guys, including Persi Diaconis.

But footage of them is real thin on the ground. In fact, I'm unaware of any good footage of Bert Allerton or Heba (other than the little bit on the visit video - and that was done when he was well past his prime, unfortunately) and none of Matt Schulien, either.

Chicago was home to some of the greatest magi, especially close up magi, the world has even known - Malini is buried in the suburbs here - and Jay's work, in particular, has been largely overshadowed by his work as an MC and ventriloquist/humorist.

And more's the pity, because a better posted and rounded mage, I have rarely met. Andruzzi came close, believe it or not... So did Dorney, in some respects...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jay was a phenomenon. You could ask him about any magician and he knew who he was and what he had invented. Johnny Thompson is a lot like that.

If you have Benson by Starlight, you have IMHO the best thinking on the Chinese sticks. Roy Benson UNDERSTOOD them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chinese sticks on the street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL