The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penguin Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why don't you just post a link to Penguin. There are photos of the cups on their web site?

Or go to the cups and balls museum. You can see all of these cups, including the rare ones you can't get any more.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Penguins cups are very good for the price, but if you don't want to expend 100 bucks look on ebay or magic shops on line for Magic Makers cups they are 50 bucks or less. So if you get a little defective set, what the %#"$! ??.
you will get what you paid for. if you are lucky you will get a perfect Paul Fox copy.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 19:52, pintorama wrote:
Penguins cups are very good for the price, but if you don't want to expend 100 bucks look on ebay or magic shops on line for Magic Makers cups they are 50 bucks or less. So if you get a little defective set, what the %#"$! ??.
you will get what you paid for. if you are lucky you will get a perfect Paul Fox copy.

Perfect Paul Fox Copy? LOL It's been tried, Busby, us at RNT II. There is no such thing as a PERFECT Paul Fox copy. Smile
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I meant a non defective set. Even those Porper cups that you love are not perfect.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 21:16, pintorama wrote:
I meant a non defective set. Even those Porper cups that you love are not perfect.

Ok, whats not perfect about the Porper cups? What are the flaws? Saying the Porper cups are not Perfect has nothing to do with the fact that several of us have tried to reproduce the Paul Fox cup Spec for Spec and have been unsuccessful. That's nothing to do with perfection, but ultimate failure.

If you received a set of Porper cups with no box and no wand, they must be used, I've never known Joe to cut loose an order without the box and wand. So if they're used cups, well of course they wouldn't be mint if actually used for performance.

Jake
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 21:16, pintorama wrote:

I also am curious as to what you mean by this. Although I have only one set of his metal cups, they are uniform, well-balanced and carefully engineered. When you make CNC cups, they come very close to being perfectly identical. Any deviation will occur if there is a polishing problem. I've never seen this on a set of Porper cups.

Granted, Joe can stick up for himself, so I really don't need to say this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 20:51, Mad Jake wrote:
[Perfect Paul Fox Copy? LOL It's been tried, Busby, us at RNT II. There is no such thing as a PERFECT Paul Fox copy. Smile

That is fascinating. Is there a particular feature that is causing problems? Or is it a matter of getting one part right, then having something unexpected happen to another?

Cool.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
If they weight almost the same, are they perfect ??
All I said was that not all penguins sets are defective. I know Jake can make them much better, but over $200.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are playing with words. Let's turn your question around. If they have different weights, say ± .1 ounce, are they imperfect? Does "perfection" mean that each one is absolutely identical? If so, then we get back to the old "well, each item has one tiny defect, because only the Almighty is perfect."

The reason the Penguin cups are cheaper is because of cheap Chinese labor and cheap materials. A bad copper alloy (few people use pure copper, for various reasons) can produce really strange results.

Even doing it himself, it costs Jake more to make a set of cups than it does to get them from China.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
BILL,
I agree.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 10:58, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 20:51, Mad Jake wrote:
[Perfect Paul Fox Copy? LOL It's been tried, Busby, us at RNT II. There is no such thing as a PERFECT Paul Fox copy. Smile

That is fascinating. Is there a particular feature that is causing problems? Or is it a matter of getting one part right, then having something unexpected happen to another?

Cool.

John

John,
yes, it's the blend from the saddle ridge to the shoulder bead. I've tried laser scanning the originals, but as most know there was multiple toolings used and I think they ran these in batches using different toolings, I have about 15 sets of PF/DD in copper that I spent years collecting just to make a match. So even back then tooling wasn't duplicated quite the same. Even some of the saddle ridges were different from set to set over the years, one had the sharp edge some had a rounded edge.

We're retiring the whole PF line at RNT II. They have run their course, I have several stainless sets left and that's that. Time to move on. Maybe in the year 3000 someone will be able to duplicate a PF spec for spec with that bloody blending Smile

Jake
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 13:40, Bill Palmer wrote:
You are playing with words. Let's turn your question around. If they have different weights, say ± .1 ounce, are they imperfect? Does "perfection" mean that each one is absolutely identical? If so, then we get back to the old "well, each item has one tiny defect, because only the Almighty is perfect."

The reason the Penguin cups are cheaper is because of cheap Chinese labor and cheap materials. A bad copper alloy (few people use pure copper, for various reasons) can produce really strange results.

Even doing it himself, it costs Jake more to make a set of cups than it does to get them from China.

I did a cross cut of my first set of Penguins, people have no idea of the copper crap they are using in China, there is more alloy than copper. And pitting, holy crike! The pits under the polish are horrible, which eventually show up after maintenance polishing. This is caused by the alloy and the lack of correct annealing.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, CNC is NOT an EXACT science, what looks identical may vary in weight depending on the density of the block or bar stock used. I paid close to 1K for my stainless cups I think, would I do it again? *** straight, Porper cups are the pinnacle of cnc perfection, along with Johnson cups. CNC is also very expensive, I bet Joe had to change out milling bits ever few sets of cups if not sooner. Diamond carbide bits, you need a small loan to buy a set.

Johnson released the copper version of their famed brass cup. I bet more were scrapped than actually produced. Even machine grade copper is a bugger to CNC due to being so soft.

The small crafters, Jim Riser, Joe Porper, Todd Lassen, Jamie Schoolcraft and RNT II, we have a reputation to uphold. One we hold dear to us, I'm sure none of us know what an 8 hour work day is, the next time you look at a product from anyone of us and see a price tag on it that you feel is too high, please take into consideration something that none of us factor into the cost of our production. We don't factor in those nights when there's an empty seat at the dinner table, or our wives roll over at night and we're not in bed and the shop light is still on, or our children sad because we were involved in a custom order and we couldn't make it to a ball game. Some of us suffered heart attacks and watched our families fall apart because we love our craft so much, we will make sure we give everyone their moneys worth for top notch products.

If anyone of us ever used these factors, time we will never get back, no one could afford us, time with our loved ones is PRICELESS. So the next time you look at a set of Penguin or Tragic Maker cups, think about the little guy over in China making 85 cents an hour and using crap material. Then look at ours and think about what we actually sacrifice to bring the BEST tools to the market.

Jake
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile Smile
:applause: Smile Smile
:applause: Smile
:applause:

I should add that the van Dokkum cups are also extremely well crafted. When you look at the nesting cups he did for Mark Mason, you see some really fine work. I've been in Auke's machine shop, and I've seen him do his thing. Some people think CNC is a short cut. While it does some things very well and very quickly, there is a LOT of waste. My monster cups are a perfect example. These cups weigh almost 2 Kg. each. They are cut from a chunk of stainless that weighs about 24 Kg. That's more than 90% waste. None of that is recoverable. And the cups don't come from the CNC machine finished. After they are cut, then they are hand polished. This polishing is not a cheap process as Jake, Jim Riser and Auke can tell you.

I wish I could talk about some of the things Auke has coming out, but I have to keep MUM. I usually keep it on the shelf next to TLR.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Bill,
I feel horrible, I left Auke out. There is a man who can work MAGIC with a CNC machine. We have several small CNC milling machines here we use for signs, anything done with solid stock raw materials has a huge waste factor.

Hats off to Auke, and again my apologies for leaving him out of the list.

Jake
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
$458 bucks for a standard size cups, is quite fair since they are CNC and Auke's work is consider TOP OF THE LINE. I don't have a set yet, but I have handled them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 15:53, Mad Jake wrote:
Bill,
I feel horrible, I left Auke out. There is a man who can work MAGIC with a CNC machine. We have several small CNC milling machines here we use for signs, anything done with solid stock raw materials has a huge waste factor.

Hats off to Auke, and again my apologies for leaving him out of the list.

Jake

Don't feel bad. It's hard to remember everyone. If you drop one of those Monster cups on your foot, you will never forget him! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Are those monster cups workable? Or they are just like a toy or what? I have never seen a magician using one of those monster cups, may need 2 magicians to handle them, but very unpractical.
I wonder if Penn & Teller would like to give it a try.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
So far there are only two sets in existence. I have one set and Piet Forton has the other. They are workable, but it requires some odd techniques to get the most out of them. Benson Bowl moves work well with them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penguin Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL