The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Baby Sitter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
This past weekend I got a call to come to a local country club and perform for the kids while the adults had a meeting. Suprisingly, with only one day notice, I actually had the time slot available. But after booking the show, I realized that what I had just done was book myself as a very expensive baby sitter.

There were only a dozen kids ranging in age from 4 to 12. I performed a show for them that usually has kids oohhing and laughing. And two days prior, every kid that saw this show stood in line to get my audigraph!

But this time there were no parents in the room. And the only adult there needed to leave a few minutes into the show because he worked for the club. Control slowly eroded. And I was forced to break character to get control of the audience. All the normal bits of business that make the show fun just weren't working.

I've analyzed this show over and over. It's the only one I've ever experienced like it. It wasn't a total loss, but I'm used to kids having a great time and parents being in awe at the wonderful entertainment.

Question. For those who have found themselves in a similar situation (ie. all kids, no adults in the room) what do you do to keep the show fun and in control? I have some ideas for the future. But I'm wondering whathas worked for others out there.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Never...I repeat...NEVER do a show without any adults in the room. Call me paranoid but...NEVER do a show without other adults in the room.

Things could have gone a lot worse. Does your license/insurance cover childcare?

You are a professional and as a result need to conduct yourself properly in every aspect. If something would have happened in that room, you are responsible, and it doesn't matter what happens (bruise, cut, fighting, vandalism). This is why proffessional childcare is so expensive. You should be charging $100.00 per child.

So the simple answer is, yes you can entertain the kiddies while the adults do their thing (whatever that may be?!?) but their should be an adult or two not associated with the other goings on supervising the children (and you). For me there are no ifs ands or buts. I have on occasion stopped a show because the parents left. This is why I also do a family show and not a kiddie show. Everybody gets something out of it (which you sound like you have). But I let them know that this is what it is and that everybody can watch. And I tell them that I require (this is in my contract/company policies) one adult present for every 10 children. I list reasons as washroom duties, I need at least one adult for two tricks to help out (sorry it's part of the show...you gotta be there) and potentially crowd control help (note that I don't say it is totally up to them..not as much pressure).

So to state again

NEVER do a show for children without other adults/supervisors (like camp counsellors) present.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Yes, I agree. I realize this was not your intention, but too many problems can arise. if it should happen again by accident, insist on a couple adults to supervise the children. In fact this is going into my contract just in case.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I feel for you, Scott! I also never, ever, EVER do a show without other adults present...just not a good thing. At the same time, I recommend Julian Franklin's "Kid Control" book...it has all the things I learned the hard way when I was a full time teacher...
Remember, everything happens for a reason...some of the best lessons are the hardest...and all the lessons are blessing to us from God! My minister often has told me that God only hands us lessons He knows we can handle...I don't mean that you "should have known" what to do..I'm saying that you recieved a lesson that was custom made for you from God to learn by...so don't beat yourself up...just take good notes and steps to fix it...it's all in preperation for what's next...
Chris
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I get these requests all the time from country clubs, alumni clubs, fraternal groups, weddings and so on. My first experience was very much like yours. Now I go prepared. I charge top dollar for this arrangement. I hire my two daughters to serve as chaperones and brute-force support. I carry a wide assortment of magic & circus coloring sheets (all with my advertising spec on it), crayons, puzzles and such. I have five 4' tall inflatable games that I set up. I take my balloon kit and pump. I also have a computer-driven live-action game show program that kids love.

I start with the magic show while everyone's still fairly calm and under control. Then, as things start to get wild, I pull out the crafts, games and balloons. I'll teach the kids how to make various sculptures...always a hit with the older kids.

As they tire of these things, I fire up the laptop and digital projector and we pit girls against the boys in my kid's versions of "Family Kid Feud" or "Who Wants to be a Kid Millionaire." That way, when the parents and hosts check in to take their kids home, they see them behaving in a room filled with balloons and colors, hand-made crafts and calmly having a great time playing a group game. I'm seen as a miracle worker...and my word-of-mouth marketing takes off. If they want to pay me hundreds of dollars to be a babysitter...works for me!

What Mr. Bill said still goes, though. My contract for these "babysitting" events specifically states that at least two adults must be provided by the host and at least one of these adults must remain in the child entertainment area at all times. Violating this requirements will result in the immediate departure of the entertainer and his team with payment in full due. I also include some "hold blameless" and "liability release" fiddle faddle recommended by my attorney. Be smart!!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Scott
When they say "we just want someone to keep them busy for an hour" they are really telling you "we have no respect for you". The good news is next time you will smell it coming, and you won't ever let it happen to you again.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Its the substitute teacher effect...LOL I never do them because of the liability and because I am not a babysitter, I perform Magic...
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
There you go again Skip, thinking the same way I do....
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
All very helpful suggestions. This show requested on very short notice, and I didn't stop to think about what I had gotten into until after I had booked the show and had hung up the phone.

Now for what I learned.

* I already decided that I will never, ever accept a show knowing that there will not be other adults in the room. Having that in a contract would be a good idea too (although this show was done without contract due to the short notice).

* In the future I planned to do a short magic show, a magic class, and follow that with balloon creations. (I did do the balloon creations at the end of this show as well. That is what brought things back on course again. So when the parents arrived to get the kids, they were all busy playing with their new balloons or waiting to get one)

Skip, I like the variety you mentioned. That is definately what was missing. As a performer, I didn't have the ability to be both an entertaining, fun magician and police officer. My family shows have a certain amount of antics and clowning around built into them. But that is all part of the show and leads the audience down a path which culminates in a specific conclusion. If everyone "plays" their part, the whole show is wonderful experience. However, if the audience strays too far the "spell" is broken. So the games and balloons allow more latitude to be directive and keep the kids focused.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Baby Sitter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL