The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Feather Flowers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Hi All,

I built a production tube out of poster board (McBride DVD). One of the items I was going to produce was a small parasol. The parasol, however, is too heavy for the tube. I was thinking of changing this for a five bloom feather bouquet.

My question is would the bouquet be lighter than the parasol? I believe bouquets are made with spring wire.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Mike,

One question. Is this the tube that Jeff uses on his Exotic Magic section? If it is the one I am thinking, I made one simular to Jeff's but I used tag material instead of poster and it is very strong. Before I attached the l**d t**e to the back of the tag with reinforced tape, I sprayed adhesive to the front and put a old scroll material with Asian writing. It looks like an old scroll and will take a lot of abuse.

David Williams
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
It`s on one of his Stage DVDs. I forget which one. I think he calls the routine Silk Road. He use oak tag as well but I couldn't find any in Montreal.

The problem I'm having is not getting the tube to stay on but when I unroll/unfold the tube to show it empty, the board sort of jerks because of the weight. When I do it with just silks and streamers it works great but the extra weight of the parasol really has a noticeable impact.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I found the tag material at an art supply place. They don't call it oak tag, just tag. It is like poster board, but thicker. If you have a Parent Teacher store in your area or a large art supply chain store. It sounds like the parasol may be pretty heavy. Maybe you could lighten the weight of the parasol or just guide the tube downward with your other hand as it opens. Wished I could be more help.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
What kind of parasol are you using Mike?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A bouquet would be lighter than a parasol and you could also add an inner load tube with a rubber band on it to hold the parasol.

I would use a plastic type material like used in file folders. A plastic house should be able to help you find it unless you can find a file folder large enough to tear apart.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I'm using one of the parasols I got from Magic Hands as part of an appearing parasol from silks set.

I'm not having any trouble finding the parasol or having it move. It is just the weight that gives me a problem. I have tried unrolling the tube faster, slower, guiding it down, etc. but I just don't like the way any of those look and none of them get rid of the problem completly, they just mask it a little.

That's why I thought maybe a flower bouquet would be lighter and still be a nice production (although some of these bouquets are a little tacky looking).

I could put a smaller tube inside the bigger tube to hold the flowers in a closed position and to make sure it doesn't get tangled in the silk streamers as I pull it out.

I just want to make sure that a five bloom bouquet is lighter than a parasol or else I haven't fixed anything.

Thanks for all the input.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Feather Flowers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL