We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help in constructing an animal carrier gag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Hey everybody,

Several years back I ran into someone that had an animal carrier. He was showing it to a friend, telling them his favorite pet was inside. When he opened the door, a stuffed animal of some sort jumped out about 6 feet. Of course, this shocked the friend silly. Since then, I've seen this gag done a few times.

Anybody ever make such a "gag box"? If so, could you offer some building advice, keeping in mind my carpentry/fix-it skills are low. What propels the animal -- rat trap?

Best,

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I have seen David Williamson on a couple tv appearances with that built into a animal travel cage in his rocky the raccon act. I have also seen one at a halloween party a few years back, the cage at the party launched a rocky raccoon, but the cage looked more like an old style wooden animal cage trap.
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
I read about a similar cage that used a car door solenoid to shoot the fake animal out. Your rat trap idea will work but you have to devise a safe trigger mechanism. How about loading the stuffed animal in a tube on top of a compressed spring? It would work just like a snake can. I once shot a stuffed mouse out of a Pringle's can using this method! My trigger was a long pin through the tube that held the animal figure in. When the pin was pulled the critter shot out.
Dave
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
What kind of critter are you looking to launch? Rocky the Raccoon is basically a spring, which might have enough energy to propel itself when compressed. It's been a while since I've used one, so I'm not sure how strong the spring is.

Using Dave's suggestion above, Rocky could probably shoot himself out of a sawed off potato chip can when the pin is pulled. No extra engineering required.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Dan
I've just inspected my Rocky, it is an original Rocky and the spring isn't powerful enough to propel itself on its own. The cheaper copies may have a more powerful spring than the originals.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Magic Rob
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
99 Posts

Profile of Magic Rob
Doc

Hank Lee's Magic Factory (hanklee.org) carries an effect called Mongoose Is Loose and it sounds similiar to what you may have seen. I don't own the effect so I don't know what propels it, but it's only $65. By the time you consider the cost of materials, it may be easier just to buy it.

Rob
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I am thinking of making something like this too. The idea that I have come up with that I think will be easiest is this. Keep in mind, I have not made it yet, and all of this is based on theory but is the plan I am going to use (at this time at least).

Get a tube, like PVC pipe. This could be mounted in your carrier. Now you are going to turn this tube into...sort of... a sling shot. Surgical tubing, or bungie cords get attatched to the opening end of the tube. That is pulled or pushed back into the tube and locked in place. Ok, I don't have a locking mechanism in mind yet... then your object to be shot out is loaded into the tube and you then hit your locking mechanism release and BAM, your animal gets sling shoted out.

If anyone attempts this before I do, let me know IF it really works.

Scott
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Everybody, thanks for the input and suggestions.

I'll keep you posted.

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help in constructing an animal carrier gag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL