The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Sawing A Lady (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Working my way through Mike Powers' new book (Power Plays) and I am simply knocking people out with "Sawing a Lady." If you have the book and overlooked this effect I urge you to stop, back up, and take the time to work your way through this one. If you do not have the book, here's a reason to strongly consider the purchase.

Thanks Mike!
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Tell us more!

What is the effect?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Okay... I hope I do it justice:
Spectator freely selects a card which will be used to represent "a magician" (Houdini, in the book), and then selects any one of the four queens to represent "the lady." Spectator writes "Houdini" (or, as I do it, simply signs their name) across the face of the "magician" card. The lady is placed inside of an ordinary card box that has thin slits cut from side to side, on both sides. The magician card is then slid through the slit in one side and out the other, cutting the lady in half. You can show both sides of the box and even move the magician card back and forth. Their signature (or "Houdini") can be clearly seen throughout. The magician card is then removed, and the lady emerges from the box unharmed. The effect is then repeated but this time it is the lady's turn for revenge. The magician is sealed in the box and the lady cuts through from one side and out the other (same conditions as before). The lady is then removed and when the box is opened to show the magician card it has disappeared.

I'm having a lot of fun with this one. So simple, but quite a fooler.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Sounds fun. I like the idea of taking the big stage illusion and making it close-up. Lots of room for ideas.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Sounds like an awesome effect! Thanks for the heads up magiguy!!
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
What a terrific concept. Are angles an issue?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-09-04 01:45, joesilver wrote:

Are angles an issue?

Not really. There are two very short spots in the effect where it would be tough to be surrounded, but you could likely work your way around them. The beauty of it is that you can show all sides of the card box while the one card is in the act of cutting through the other, and you can even move the signed card up and down, showing the signed face moving up and down through the box. I've found it to be a real convincer. Incidentally, the box is examineable at the beginning and at the end. I'm much farther along in the book than I was when I first started this thread and I've found many more clever ideas which, alone, are worth the price of the book (at least, they are to me). I've already hunted down Mike's other two books to tide me over once I get to the end of this one.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I still have to build the box but from what I've read, it is a very clever method. I'll have to try this one when I have the chance.
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
Can't wait to pick it up. Sounds great.
EvilGenius
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EvilGenius
Sounds like something worth picking up, thanks.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Please DO get this book! It is simply fantastic and a TON of useable material. It seems that Mike never disappoints when releasing material and Power Plays is his best yet.

Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Sawing A Lady (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL