The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder's Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Tommy Wonder designed a beautiful levitation system for a modified Zombie ball. The key purpose for the modification was to make the ball look more alive and to create the impression that it was not connected to the gimmick. Does anyone know if this levitation system was ever marketed comercially?

To be clear, I am not talking about the combined efforts of the Wonder/Losander zombie ball. That one is a further modification yet. The levitation system I am talking about is the one described in Books of Wonder and on Visions of Wonder. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Yes,
It was released, and it was of horrible quality. I got one and it arrived broken. I sent ot back and got another one which also arrived broken. I decided to fix it myself. Although it looked neat, it was noisy, expensive and not very well made.
I would not recommend it. It was sold by a magic dealer who is well known to sell fairly shoddy equipment.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Damien,

I don't know who built yours, but mine was built by Tommy Wonder himself (and it's the one described in the Books of Wonder). He built them when he had the time. Mine is beautiful and works like a charm. Since his passing, I don't know if anybody will be releasing them in the future.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Do either of you remember how much the ball sold for?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
I think $300.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I paid $250 from an estate sale, if memory serves me.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
On a related note...I've been wanting to try building one from the Books of Wonder but am having trouble sourcing a ball. Need something with a size of 6 to 10 inches, preferably in an acrylic. I know I have seen something like the glass garden balls in an acrylic material but can't find a marketer. Can anyone offer any help?
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Jeb Sherril here on the Café created a new Zombie Gimmick that I am currently preparing a review of. Very clever device and I like it better than the Wonder Gimmick, although the Wonder Gimmick was very good, indeed.
Daniel Faith
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2734 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I remember the full page ads that Tommy Wonder had on the back covers of MAGIC magazine. I think the ads stated that the reason he was selling his floating ball system was because some other dealer has stolen his idea and method and was selling an inferior product.

Damien, it sounds like you may have bought that version.

Ron
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'm afraid that's the way I remember it as well. It's a very clever gimmick, but anyone who bought the knock-off was sadly disapointed. If you have one, hold on to it. It's a "wonderful" item. No pun intended. Tommy was a master craftsman and a marvelous inventor. I do hope my gimmick can hold a candle. Thanks for the vote Daniel.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1659 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-08-22 13:21, damien666 wrote:
Yes,
It was released - and it was of horrible quality. I got one and it arrived broken. I sent ot back and got another one which also arrived broken. I decided to fix it myself.. Although it looked neat; it was noisy, expensive and not very well made.
I would not recommend it. It was sold by a magic dealer who is well known to sell fairly shoddy equipment.

Damien, as others have pointed out above, I think you must have purchased one of the knock-off versions. Tommy Wonder never released anything that was poorly made, so I would be very surprised if the one you purchased was made or authorized by him.

A few years ago Tommy Wonder custom-made for me his "levitation system" to fit my floating bowling ball. I was always grateful to Tommy Wonder for taking the time out to make the gimmick for me and to be willing to help me out by selling me the gimmick as stand alone item, without requiring me to purchase the ball and cloth (which I did not need). Many busy people would have simply said : "You can buy that item from such-and-such a dealer. Have a nice day." or "Sorry it's sold out. Not sure when we'll make another run", but he was kind enough to help me realize my version of his wonderful levitation system. (And he didn't charge me an arm and a leg to do the work , either. Very reasonable cost.)

A great magician and a true gentleman . He will be greatly missed . I am so thankful that we have his books and the videos.

Just in case anyone's missed it previously , someone has posted a clip of Tommy performing his stage act at the World Magic Awards on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqLvPaQOsQ
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1659 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 12:03, Dave Dorsett wrote:
On a related note...I've been wanting to try building one from the Books of Wonder but am having trouble sourcing a ball. Need something with a size of 6 to 10 inches, preferably in an acrylic. I know I have seen something like the glass garden balls in an acrylic material but can't find a marketer. Can anyone offer any help?

Dave ,
Take a look here :

http://www.barnardltd.com/.query.listall......-Spheres

Scroll down to the item PLASTIC BALL 6 IN.
Category:_-Spheres
Product Code: 10115

6 inches in diameter and comes in two pieces. Colors come in red, green, gold , silver or blue. Please state color choice when ordering. 30 gauge PVC. Note there is a lip around the ball where the two pieces connect.

The only disadvantage to this item is that each half of the sphere has a "lip" around it that must be carefully trimmed off around the edges with very sharp shears, so that the halves can be cemented together after you did the necessary work to make the Wonder zombie. If you are very careful it can be done , because I've done it.
The other thing to use are a few small, discreetly placed pieces of metallic tape (same color as the ball, silver or gold) to hold the two halves together. From stage distance the small pieces of tape are not noticeable . Make sure the edges of the tape are pressed down smooth , so they don't catch on the cloth used during performance of zombie. Also, you should tape the two halves of the sphere from the inside before you close it up. You can get a pretty good sized piece of clear scotch tape or the metallic tape attached along one side of the inside of the sphere before you close the two halves of the sphere. (hope that makes sense... if you do it you'll see what I mean.) The tape on the inside strengthens the ball a bit .

This company, Barnard Ltd., also occationally stocks plastic Christmas tree ornaments (hollow spheres), in large sizes ranging from 5" inches to 8" inches. Check with them and see what they may have in stock even if it's not currently listed on their website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder's Zombie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL