The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle Red Gaffed Cards --> Cut Wrong!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1148 Posts

Profile of Salby
I just received my Bicycle Red Gaffed (BRG) Deck and I must say that the printing quality and the variety of cards is phenomenal.

However, I have quite easily noticed that upon the company cutting them, most, if not all, the cards are cut skewed by an eighth of an inch. Maybe the laymen might not see it, but you and I will.

For instance, the "Blurry 7 of Spades" card has a darkened line on the top (or bottom-- depends how you look at it) where the card was suppose to be cut. This line extends the full width of the card and is an eighth of an inch from the top end of the card.

Another example is the "Aged and Yellow-tinted 6 of Spades" card. On the left side (or right side-- depends how you look at it) and front and back, the black border, barely is visable. The right side has a black border almost double the thickness it should be.

Some of the other cards are less noticable because of the white borders of the face sides, although the number and pips are more skewed to 1 side and leaving the number and pip farther away on the other side, thus given that side a thicker white "border".

I wouldn't make a big thing about this, however, spending $30 on a deck of cards, I would think that it was flawless.

Is there a way I can return the defective cards (or entire deck) to the manufacturer for replacements? I bought it from an online store and it was factory sealed with its celophane & typical sealed sticker from the card company.

Anybody else with the same problem and, if so, how did you resolve it??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
If you bought it at Ellusionist you should have no problems returning it. I've heard many people comment on their good customer service.

Michael
Taurus
View Profile
New user
Canada
72 Posts

Profile of Taurus
If you bought from E there is no need to worry!

They sent a kid a new pack of ghosts because someone knocked them out of his hands when he was performing.
Subscribe to the Magic Week in Review Podcast

www.itricks.com
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
Quote:
On 2006-08-22 13:12, Bugstar2 wrote:
I just received my Bicycle Red Gaffed (BRG) Deck and I must say that the printing quality and the variety of cards is phenomenal.

However, I have quite easily noticed that upon the company cutting them, most, if not all, the cards are cut skewed by an eighth of an inch. Maybe the laymen might not see it, but you and I will.

For instance, the "Blurry 7 of Spades" card has a darkened line on the top (or bottom-- depends how you look at it) where the card was suppose to be cut. This line extends the full width of the card and is an eighth of an inch from the top end of the card.

Another example is the "Aged and Yellow-tinted 6 of Spades" card. On the left side (or right side-- depends how you look at it) and front and back, the black border, barely is visable. The right side has a black border almost double the thickness it should be.

Some of the other cards are less noticable because of the white borders of the face sides, although the number and pips are more skewed to 1 side and leaving the number and pip farther away on the other side, thus given that side a thicker white "border".

I wouldn't make a big thing about this, however, spending $30 on a deck of cards, I would think that it was flawless.

Is there a way I can return the defective cards (or entire deck) to the manufacturer for replacements? I bought it from an online store and it was factory sealed with its celophane & typical sealed sticker from the card company.

Anybody else with the same problem and, if so, how did you resolve it??

Head over to Ellusionist and send them an email. Even though you didn't buy from them, they did produce the deck and are very good at replacing/fixing stuff that they messed up. Some scans or pictures would be good too.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
There really shouldn't be any margin of errors when it comes to expensive cards. They should be perfect in every sense of the word. Ellusionist will fix this for you, I'm positive. The only thing is you will have to pay the postage to return them Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2128 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I had a similar issue when I bought my first Ghost Gaff deck, some were cut so off center that the black lines used as a cutting guide were visible on the face of the card.

Ellusionist took care of me very quickly, I couldn't have asked for more. I'm sure if E were in charge of the cutting of the decks at the USPCC factory, they'd try to make sure every deck was cut perfectly, but, they can't do that. They will make sure you're happy though.

Just click on the Support tab on their mainpage and go from there.

If you bought the deck from someone other than Ellusionist, you may have more of a headache.

I've been shopping with E for about 2 and a half years now, and their customer service is top notch. I've always been 100% satisfied.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1148 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks for all your advice.

I emailed E's Support Department last night about my situation. Waiting now for their reply.

Kind regards to you all.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 10:37, Salby wrote:
Thanks for all your advice.

I emailed E's Support Department last night about my situation. Waiting now for their reply.

Kind regards to you all.

You should have tried to solve the problem with Ellusionist first instead of coming to the forum to complain...MOst reputable dealers are more than willing to accomodate genuine requests, but most don't like being the subject of publicly-aired complaints.
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 12:54, magicbern wrote:
You should have tried to solve the problem with Ellusionist first instead of coming to the forum to complain...MOst reputable dealers are more than willing to accomodate genuine requests, but most don't like being the subject of publicly-aired complaints.

Well, he led off with praise in the form of "the printing quality and the variety of cards is phenomenal" then simply noted that there was something of an issue and asked if anyone else had the problem or had suggestions for resolving it. He didn't mention Ellusionist by name (although I'm not sure if any other online stores are reselling this Ellusionist-designed deck). He wasn't bashing or agressively complaining at all. I think he handled it just fine, and as a customer I'm glad to be informed that there are some minor printing issues.

In the future, yeah you probably want to check with the vendor first, but I don't think this question was anything to be sorry for.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1148 Posts

Profile of Salby
That's correct, MagicBern. Starting a post as this was not to intend to hurt a company. In fact, I am quite pleased with E's products. I just choose to buy magic products of theirs (and others) via other retailers that have discounts and/or free shipping-- All legal routes and with good intent.

I will continue to support and rave about E's products.

I just wasn't too sure where to go for my dilemma. I figure at least a few people of the over 25,000 magical members on this website have either been in a similiar situation or just would be able to give me the most appropriate direction.

I appreciate your words and will consider in the future to use appropriate wording of my own and not willfully hurt a company or person. With that said, I have much regards to your comment.

As for my update to my problem-- Ellusionist asked me to send pictures, which I did send 3 scans of the most defective cards. Their decision is now pending.

I have confidence that they will compensate with something as they seem to stand by their products.
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
401 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Absolutely.

Salby, we'll take care of it, no problem. We also appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have ay other problems, feel free to contact us!

||Sean Beard ||
//Team E
//Sean Beard
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1148 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks Tempest. Again, No hard feelings as that was not my intent, but to get direction from fellow magicians.

Make sure you tell your company's people to continue pounding out those Great Effects.

With much high regards to you and your company.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1148 Posts

Profile of Salby
Well.... Ellusionist got back to me (after 1 week) and unfortunately the company stated that they opened other BRG decks and found the same "defective" cards in them. They also stated the original proofs had the same "defect". This is a bit disturbing-- If they knew about these flaws, then why have them printed. As a result, they stated that ALL the decks have the same "defective" cards and that it is virtually undetectable by a layman because they cannot compare the gaffed cards to any other gaffed cards (fair enough). They said that sending a replacement deck would be useless because I will receive the same "defective" cards.

Here is a scanned picture of just 3 of my "defective" cards (not the clearest):

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450016432/1.jpg

The "defect" in the above is most noticed on the blurry 7 of Spades. There is a black line just above the "7" going the full width of the card. On the blurry 5 of Spades there is a black line just below of the upside down "5", again going the full width of the card. Lastly, the faded/tinted 6 of Spades is cut off-centered (ie.: there is less of a black border on the right side as there is on the left.).

The reason I am adding another post to this thread is to see if anyone who owns this deck has the same issue as me. I am sure MANY members of this forum have purchased this deck and not one purchaser has stated that their BRG decks were cut the wrong way, thus being "defective". I am confused about the descrepancy of Ellusionist saying 1 thing and what the actual consumers of this deck are saying.

No hard feelings, but at $30 per deck.... I EXPECT THE DECK TO BE FLAWLESS!! I am envious, because it seems apparent that some purchasers received flawless decks. So where are the decks with "defective" cards.... Maybe a large batch went defective.
SleepingJag
View Profile
New user
NC
35 Posts

Profile of SleepingJag
Salby - Just opened my Gaff Deck that I recieved yesterday... While the Aged 6 of Spades it off a little on the front and the back I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. The blurred 7 of Spades and 5 of Spades are more noticable to me.
Bethea Baker
The Price of Freedom isn't free
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The blurred cards aren't off...they all look like that (on the three decks I have opened) and old card is also not off it was supposed to look like that it is an optical illusion because of the the aged look it has. Measure the card against a regular deck to make sure.
Mobius
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2128 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yeah, I can't really see any problem with my aged 6. My blurred cards are in the same situation as yours. I noticed it (particularly on the 7), but wrote it off in my head as a sleight design flaw, and result of the blurring. It really doesn't seem like it was cut wrong, jsut that somehow in the design of the card there was a bit of a dark line. It doesn't look like the cutting guide line that would be on the card sheet.

I can't say I'm bothered by the flaw at all, particulalry because I'm not the biggest fan of the blurred cards. I may use them sometime down the road, but for now there are plenty of other gaffs to keep me busy.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4424 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cutting lines conjures (no pun intended) up images of a person sitting with a small guillotine lining up the sheets of cards to cut them by hand. I suspect that companies that make cards don’t have guide lines that run all the way across the faces of the cards?

I would have thought it is all done automatically like by a robot or something – you know like Bender from Futurama sitting at a bench with a small guillotine and cutting them out by “hand” only with acute accuracy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle Red Gaffed Cards --> Cut Wrong!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL