The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Mac King does a trick called cloak of invisiibility! the name of the thing sounded oddly familiar! VERY RANDOM!
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Quote:
I would like to chime in here and give my views as I saw Rogers lecture at Blacpool and have his lecture notes and Ravioli effect...The cloth of invisibility is by far the best and easiest levitation I either know of or own...And for anyone not sure about rediculous ravioli I say buy it. Its very original and far different and superior to the original and the climax is just amazing for kids.

I too was at Roger's lecture in Blackpool and agree exactly with what Steve said - get the notes, $25 you can't really go wrong! When he did his cloth of invisibilty you could hear gasps from the audience (I reckon that they couldn't believe they were seeing something at Blackpool that wasn't a card trick) Smile

Best regards
Mike
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thanks for your support, Mike.

As far as Mac King and the Cloak of Invisibility, that is directly related to Harry Potter as many people will know. In my show I talk about Harry Potter having a Cloak of Invisibility, whereas I have a Cloth of Invisibility. Harry Potter fans can relate to that.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I notice you don't have any wednesdays booked for lecturing. it might be worth trying Bolton Magician's Club. I used to be a member there and still go to the occasional lecture (when its not focused on cards and coins).

http://www.bolton-magic.co.uk/

Its about half hour from Blackburn and 45 minutes from Blackpool. Let me know if you get anywhere and I'll stick it in the diary.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thank you Mark for the lead. I will follow it up, and if you know the people there and want to put in a good word for me, that would be great!
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Awwwww! Look what you made me do! I was doing so good. I resisted buying any magic for almost two months. Then....

"I do not believe you will be dissapointed!"

"...don't pass up on owning these lecture notes."

"...get the notes, $25 you can't really go wrong!"

Just PayPal'ed ya! Dog gone it!
-DeWayne
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thank you DeWayne...and congratulations on going 2 months without buying anything else! You are a very wise man. When you put the cloth of invisibility in your show, and you realise that you could have spent $5000 on a proppy levitation illusion that you can rarely use, you will thank me for it. Why don't you take the $4975 you have saved and take a world cruise or something? Roger
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I just sent you $25 via paypal as well. You have me curious as all get out. It sounds like great stuff!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2353 Posts

Profile of todsky
Jolly, any video of Cloth of Invisibility available? It sounds interesting, but I'd want to see it performed first.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I hope your cloth of invisibility is not similar to a booklet on simple levitations utilizing a stool, paper bag, hat and a large seance cloth.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I ordered on Paypal as well and look forward to reading your lecture notes.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-08-26 19:59, Lou Hilario wrote:
I hope your cloth of invisibility is not similar to a booklet on simple levitations utilizing a stool, paper bag, hat and a large seance cloth.

My thoughts exactly , Lou. It sounds somewhat like U.F. Grant's "Uncanny Self-Levitation" on page 227 of Bruce Armstrong's 'Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations' , originally printed in one of Grant's booklets -- was it "Six Modern Levitations" ?

Does anyone who knows what Lou and I are referring to also have the Jolly Roger item under discussion? Is it the same basic idea as Grant's Self-Levitation?

(Note: I'm not suggesting any copying by Roger ; could well be a case of reinventing something, an independent discovery using the same basic principle.)

I'm interested in any reviews from people who have bought it . If it's NOT the same thing as U.F. Grant's then I'm going to be the next in line to place my order.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Yes Todd, that's the booklet "Six Modern Levitations" by U.F. Grant. Specifically, the hat was a turban with a feather in front. The magician floats from the back of the cloth with only the feather showing on the middle top of the cloth.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Sorry Todsky, I do not have a video yet. It will, however, be on a DVD I am producing early next year.
I need to make a couple of things clear about Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility. This was invented by me, and I have performed it in my shows for a number of years. I am not familiar with this UF Grant book you mention, but my illusion has nothing to do with seance cloths, turbans, feathers or even third arms! The first time I released it outside performing it in my own shows, was at the Blackpool convention in February. This convention was attended by nearly 4000 magicians, and several hundred were at my show. I sold hundreds of my lecture notes following the lecture, and my illusion was one of the hot topics of the convention in the dealer halls and the bars! In the three days I was at the convention I had numerous magicians coming up to me, congratulating me on the effect, and telling me they would be using it in their shows. Not once did I have any magician tell me that this was already written up in a book somewhere. With all the magic historians etc. attending the largest magic convention in the world, my guess is that if it was written up anywhere other than in my lecture notes, someone would have told me. I also performed the effect at The Magic Circle the day after Blackpool, and got the same reaction.

I think you should all stop the guessing game, and buy the notes! I do not have many sets left, and I leave for South America this Wednesday if you want them shipped out in the next couple of days. Roger
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Ummmm....not to be totally skeptical, but did anyone that attended the Blackpool convention respond? I weeded through the responses and there doesn't seem to be anyone on here who's actually seen this...

--Jon
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 20:23, jondark445 wrote:
Ummmm....not to be totally skeptical, but did anyone that attended the Blackpool convention respond? I weeded through the responses and there doesn't seem to be anyone on here who's actually seen this...

--Jon

It was on the recommendations of the folks that did see it at Blackpool, that I bucked up my $25. I even requoted them in one of my posts in this very thread?

-DeWayne
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 11:35, jolly roger wrote:

I need to make a couple of things clear about Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility. This was invented by me, and I have performed it in my shows for a number of years. I am not familiar with this UF Grant book you mention, but my illusion has nothing to do with seance cloths, turbans, feathers or even third arms ...

I think you should all stop the guessing game, and buy the notes! I do not have many sets left, and I leave for South America this Wednesday if you want them shipped out in the next couple of days. Roger

Thanks for the additional info. , Roger.

Sorry, I didn't mean my contribution to this thread to be a "guessing game" as to method, but I was just responding to Lou Hilario who expressed the exact same thoughts as I did when I first read your description of Jolly Roger's Cloak (my very first thought on reading your description was: "sounds very similar to U.F. Grant's Self-Levitation." Grant's involves a cloth held in front of the magician , starting from a standing positon on a stool , then levitating behind the cloth . The audience has a clear view beneath the cloth and can see that the magician's feet/legs are not standing on the stool.)

Again, I did not mean to suggest that your illusion is not original to you , even if (maybe) it shares some similarities in method to U.F. Grant's (which, of course, I do not know for sure and I'm not trying to guess the method just to avoid buying your manuscript, but I do want to be careful not to purchase something that I basically already know how to do . Fair enough ?)

Sounds like a very effective illusion. Thanks again for letting us know about it and for your clarifications on it not being the same method as U.F. Grant's Self-Levitation.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
As the Really Ridiculous Rose is mentioned in the above thread(it is a fabulous product, as you will see from reviews elsewhere on the Café), I need to remind folks that if you want immediate delivery of any of my products, you need to order today, as I leave tomorrow morning, attending The Magic Castle tomorrow(wednesday)night, then flying to South America. After that, keep the orders coming in, and they will all be shipped on September 18th. after my return to the U.S. Thanks.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
The notes arrived today in the post and after a quick skim I think they are brilliant! The thoughts and effects contained within are obviously the work of a pro who has been doing this for a long, long, time. Simple, straight-forward, entertaining, and very clever.

Interestingly the instructions on the levitation were a bit hard for me to figure out. The effect uses a stool but does not say how tall it must be. At one point the entertainer is standing on one and reaching down to pick up a cloth on the floor. Having only seen the vision of this illusion in my head it would end very badly with me bending down from the stool in my imagination. Smile

In all fairness these are lecture notes and I am sure if I were in the room and saw the levitation and vanish performed these instructions would be clear as a bell.

The rest of the stuff is just wonderful. The thoughts on combining effects, mistakes, and gags, should be read by any entertainer that has the desire to perform for children.

Well done roger! Now how tall are the stools suppose to be? Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello Danny

Thanks for the compliment!!
You are correct in that these are lecture notes which were originally designed to be bought by those who had seen the lecture, so that is why the words "notes" are used. In answer to your question, my stool is 9 inches tall, but I don't put a specific height in the notes as it depends on the height of the performer. I am 6ft. 2 ins if that helps. A little experimentation is the clue.

I am going to suggest that my post on The little darlings does not become a great discussion on the secret or presentation of this trick, as many folks have paid for my notes, and this would not be fair on them. Anyone who has bought the notes can email me or I.M. me off line, and I will answer all questions when I return from South America...as I have to get packing now! You can spend the next couple of weeks getting everything ready for performance. Trust me, you get gasps of amazement from both lay audiences and magicians as you will see from previous posts after Blackpool. I have done this trick for years for both kids and adults, and I have never yet had any lay folk find out the secret! Yes, it is simple.....but don't let that put you off!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL